• You cannot reply to this topic

Street Legal Pit Bike I fail at searching

#1 User is offline   A Speedy Turtle Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:CBR929RR, Sold 98 GSXR-750

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

So after being haggled by a cop yesterday for riding my pit bike in the street I started searching for ways to make it street legal but am finding a ton of conflicting information. Seems there is a few possible categories i could register it as, either a moped or a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle. I would rather it be a moped.
The bike is a 107cc china pit bike currently with no title, lights, dirt tires on it, goes about 45 mph, has a 14" front and 12" rear wheel and I only have a bill of sale from when I purchased it.

From what i think i've read mopeds
can't go over 30 mph
must be under 50cc
wheels smaller than 10"
have headlight and taillight

I'm unsure if I need insurance on it to ride it, street tires, horn, high/low beam headlight, brake and a taillight,

Do they actually go out to the pit bike and verify these things on the bike when at the dmv or do I only bring in pictures of it and bring in engine and vin # and tell them I don't have a title and would like to register it. Do I have to go threw an inspection prior to titling and becoming street legal.

Basically I'm confused what all actually needs to be done to make this thing street legal and get plates on it so the cops don't haggle me in the future. I've tried searching on here but I can't seem to find anything and google yields me a ton of conflicting information. Input from someone thats gone threw this sort of thing already would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Zack

#2 User is offline   TCSV27 Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:03 sv650 naked

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Personally I'm too sure, but I did find this for ya, maybe it could help you out.

#3 User is offline   stuffelse Icon

• Pretty much livin the dream!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'07 Interceptor 25th, '07 SSR110, '76 Kawi S3

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

I say license it as a full motorcycle. Screw moped requirements, because with a 110, you're not fooling anyone. Only difference is you can't park the motorcycle licensed mini at bike racks.

My bro and I tried to street legalize his SSR 110, and the only hangup was the horn, believe it or not. SSRs come with a lighting coil from the factory, so we got a voltage regulator, switch cluster, and a headlight and taillight rig. The only complication was that the horn wouldn't honk unless you revved the shit out of the bike, so I'm assuming it needs a battery in the mix to work correctly.

We kinda bailed on the idea and relegated it to a trail bike, but having lights is fuckin sweet. I'm going to do a lighting setup on mine this summer.

#4 User is offline   greenbastid Icon

• Not a trailer park boys reference
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'99 ZX6R, '02 YZ250, KLR650, fiddy, big fiddy

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

In my case "a horn" consists of the $4 bicycle squeaky horn from target. I've got a foldable dualsport mirror that works ok. Haven't had the street setup on for a while.
+1 to the moped thing being a non-possibility for you. You'll need insurance for the thing, but I remember it was way cheap.

One thing!- If that's the original bill of sale from the factory, does it say 'OFFROAD USE ONLY' ? If not, then just walk into the DMV, get a plate for your new motorcycle and put enough street parts on it that nobody asks questions. If you're riding around with a plate and no lights, you're asking for it.

#5 User is offline   A Speedy Turtle Icon

• PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:CBR929RR, Sold 98 GSXR-750

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

View Postgreenbastid, on 14 June 2010 - 09:34 PM, said:

In my case "a horn" consists of the $4 bicycle squeaky horn from target. I've got a foldable dualsport mirror that works ok. Haven't had the street setup on for a while.
+1 to the moped thing being a non-possibility for you. You'll need insurance for the thing, but I remember it was way cheap.

One thing!- If that's the original bill of sale from the factory, does it say 'OFFROAD USE ONLY' ? If not, then just walk into the DMV, get a plate for your new motorcycle and put enough street parts on it that nobody asks questions. If you're riding around with a plate and no lights, you're asking for it.

Don't have the original bill of sale. Only the bill of sale that i got when purchasing it from the previous owner. It just seems like it would be more work to make it a motorcycle over a moped. Also if I'm caught doing some shenanigans (wheeling or sidewalk riding) if it has motorcycle plates I think a ticket is sure to come instead of a warning.

#6 User is offline   Yamanube Icon

• On the water.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Z1000 - FZ6R

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

Without the MSO or whatever I doubt you will be able to get a street title, moped or motorcycle. Let us know if you do though, I would love to plate my DRZ.

#7 User is offline   I H8 Winter Icon

• Are we there yet?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Highball SV Fiddy Zuma

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

I put insurance on my pitbike just in case some a$$ hat decides they should take it home (my buddies got ripped off and he was SOL) it only cost me $8 a month and now I get the dual bike discount with the fiddy and f4i

#8 User is offline   r1store Icon

• R1store
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Pit, Street, women..
  • Ride:02 R1, Piranha 140, 03 R6

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

I'm going to try to do my Piranha 140. I'm going to call the guy/dealer i bought it from and see if he can send me a new bill of sale. I think i lost mine. But i did buy one of those street legal mini choppers and that was a piece of cake to make street legal with the BOS. I know my Piranha does have a number plate on it which has a VIN #.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users