• You cannot reply to this topic

Looking For House Paint Recommendations

#1 User is offline   AlphaAndOmega Icon

• |+|
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:A full garage.

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

I'm currently going through the great fun of building a house right now, and this weekend we are going to be painting. Since I'm going to be buying a bunch of paint, I figured I would see if anyone had something they used and liked. I'm looking for something that isn't super expensive, but won't go on like water. Google research hasn't got me any solid answers so i figured there has to be at least a few people here with some experience painting. Anyone have some experience with this?

#2 User is offline   vince Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:12 Kawi ZX10R ABS

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

I can't tell you what brand of paint to use but be sure to use a primer that is for the first time you paint sheet rock after tapping. Home builders just use white paint for this and that is wrong and they don't give a shit and first time home owners don't know any better. My neighbers houses are built by the same builder and they just used the white paint and my wall look a lot better than theirs. I paid a painter to paint by house and to put that primer on first and he said that this is the way it should be done. He also put two coats of paint on the ceiling before he spackled the ceiling. And everybody uses a sprayer followed by the roller. Do the ceilings first then the walls and then stain all the wood trim and then have them put the trim on. There is no other way. Don't let the builder tell you what to do they work for YOU and you have the money. And at closing KEEP 10% of the price of the house for 30 days so they will fix all repairs that you find. If they don't get it done in 30 days the money is yours. On bigger jobs they keep the money for a year standerd practice. Demand it or your FUCKED.

#3 User is offline   drivefasttakechances Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:05 ZX6R

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

I used to work at Menards and have used all of there paint/primer at some point of time. Here is my recommendations

Prime prime prime... especially if you have never painted your walls or if you trying to go from a dark color to light.
Primer I would recommend Zinsers line of products, Fastprime works perfect.
Also when you get primer, have them tint it to the color you plan on painting the room, it will help your paint cover more and in less coats (save you $$)
They also have special primers to do super dark colors so if your planning on doing your kitchen with the very popular wine color.. make sure you get a deep tint primer otherwise you will be having to put on about 5 coats.

A gallon of paint covers around 350 square feet one coat, so a typical room takes up about a gallon. So have a general Idea and try to have a little left over (just in case you ever have to touch up)

As far as Paint recommendations I can tell you this. Sherwin Williams and Dutch Boy are the same and SW will charge you more for a gallon than dutch boy will. Hirshfield has nice paint but who in there right mind would spend 50 bucks a gallon for it. The best bang for your buck in my opinion from Menards is there paint line from Pittsburgh Paint called ultra or if you can spend the extra few dollars a gallon for the Grand Distinction I would recommend either or. They are always on sale and if you buy it when its not you have 14 days to price match.

If your worried about smell or being green. Pittsburgh Grand Distinction is certified green and has low smell. If your trying to go for no smell paint or paint that absorbs smells dutch boy has a product that does both (good for kids rooms)

Also with wall finishes I'd recommend this

Satin for Kitchen and Bathrooms
Eggshell for Bedrooms and Living rooms

If you have really messy kids or a kids room I'd recommend semi gloss.. it will be shiny but you can literally scrub the walls. (soap and water)
I'd stay away from flat unless your trying to hide wall imperfections or don't plan on having anyone or thing (dogs, cats) mark up your walls

Another thing is make sure you get good rollers and brushes... It will make painting easier.. allow the paint to go farther .. and your walls wont be furry.. unless thats what you want.. I would recommend Purdy brushes and rollers

Home Depot has similar products but from my experience Behr is often over priced as well as most of there stuff in there department ( Menards will match prices on anything even if its not in the add, I've done it before)

Good luck, take your time and if you have any questions just read the back of the can you are using or feel free to message me.

#4 User is offline   AlphaAndOmega Icon

• |+|
  • Ride:A full garage.

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I've done a little painting before, but nothing on this scale. I figure if there is a certain brand that is the best for the price I'd go with it, since there is a ton of selection around $20 a gallon. I did pick up some of the Fast Prime today, they happen to have it on sale. Its good to hear the stuff is actually decent, I just wanted the cheapest thing possible. ha.

I did take a look at the pittsburg paints while I was there. They seem to be an alright bargain. Although this weekend they have dutch boy on sale for around $88-5gal. and that would be considerably cheaper than everything else. Any thoughts on dutch boy at all? My main concern is something that will cover well, since I really don't want to go around and paint every wall in the house a bunch of times.

#5 User is offline   636 Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'06 ZX6R; '04 Corvette Z06; '08 Outlaw 525; '03 ProX800

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

View Postdrivefasttakechances, on Nov 27 2009, 07:28 PM, said:

Pittsburgh Grand Distinction

Just used this to paint an accent wall in my house. Claims to be a primer and paint all in one... worked very well for me.

I went from construction white to a navy blue. Covered very well in one quick coat, and second coat made it look great.

I think with the rebate Menards was running, it was like $27 a gallon. More expensive than many paints out there, but you tend to get what you pay for.

#6 User is offline   drivefasttakechances Icon

• Pip
  • Ride:05 ZX6R

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:01 AM

I'm probably guessing its the Dura Clean they have on sale for 88 dollars a 5 gallon. Its not bad paint and should work fine. Depending on what color you choose you shouldn't have a problem with coverage or quality. The reason why I recommended Pittsburgh was for the simple fact is that Dutch boy will charge more money just for the sake of having there easy poor containers. As long as you don't go in there and buy Lucite you should be fine (that stuff literally is like milk, flour, and water).

Dura Clean is a good product but I wouldn't go any cheaper.

I'm a huge fan of Pittsburgh and would always recommend there stuff first, usually its cheaper cause you don't have to pay for the easy poor bucket and their Grand Distinction is a better paint than Dutch Boys Best brand (IMHO)

Another thing to keep in mind is when painting, allow stuff to dry. If you have to do a second coat it will cover much better and your first coat won't just peel off.

#7 User is offline   scotty Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Yes
  • Ride:trying out cruiser experience - vstar1300

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

For paint, I think they are all about the same. I just bought 5 gallon buckets of it from HD. I forget the brand. Exterior I like Behr.

Ive got a sprayer I was thinking of selling.... I used it to paint my basement and thats it. I think this is the model.... http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/load...oke_9140s_spray. $100.

Either way, get a sprayer. Mush faster and better coverage that brush/rolling (Assumng you have no flooring in yet).

#8 User is offline   ripperd Icon

• aka Dean
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:snowmobiles, bikes
  • Ride:04 SV650S

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

View PostAlphaAndOmega, on Nov 27 2009, 10:25 PM, said:

Thanks for the info. I've done a little painting before, but nothing on this scale. I figure if there is a certain brand that is the best for the price I'd go with it, since there is a ton of selection around $20 a gallon. I did pick up some of the Fast Prime today, they happen to have it on sale. Its good to hear the stuff is actually decent, I just wanted the cheapest thing possible. ha.

I did take a look at the pittsburg paints while I was there. They seem to be an alright bargain. Although this weekend they have dutch boy on sale for around $88-5gal. and that would be considerably cheaper than everything else. Any thoughts on dutch boy at all? My main concern is something that will cover well, since I really don't want to go around and paint every wall in the house a bunch of times.

plan on primer and 2 coats for bare walls or big color changes. We painted 4 rooms and while the first coat of paint (after primer) looked good, there is always little spots you miss. Especially when painting light colors on light primer.

#9 User is offline   Khaos Icon

• =)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2009 Raven R6 - Totaled

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

I used the Grand Distinctions paint from Menards and we used a dark green and a dark red color. The dark green covered amazingly in 1 coat and the red.... well, red never covers good but 2 coats made it perfect. This paint has Primer built into it and is on sale right now for like 20 a can. Definately a good paint.

#10 User is offline   White Space Icon

• The cuter half of MPDN.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:'05 Zuma, '05 SV650s

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:03 AM

We just painted our whole house and used the Room Painter interface on the Gliden site. It was a great way to make sure all the colors you select actually go well together. Other than that, find the color you like, no matter what brand it is. We used Gliden for every room except one, because they just didn't have the color we wanted.
Otherwise, even if it looks like a great job you may not like it in the end. And that's a lot of work to waste.

#11 User is offline   cut Icon

• ( . ) ( . )
  • Ride:yes

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:13 AM

best bang for the buck is walmart colorplace. worst ive used is menards lucite, i could piss walls better. i was told colorplace is by valspar which is not cheap paint. also the conco? stuff at menards is ok for the price. it comes in a wierd black label can looks industrial.

i like satin for kitchen and bath and flat for bedrooms myself, any gloss looks stupid and shows imprefections.

also that fast prime someone recommnended works good but smells STRONG. i like the non oil based stuff by zissner if you dont want to have to air out the house

#12 User is offline   Shiri Icon

• n00b
  • PipPip
  • Interests:loud noises?
  • Ride:banana car

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:08 AM

If you're still looking for paint, I can help you out. Stop by the eden praire hirshfields and I'll get you set up on a contractor discount.

#13 User is offline   Gixxer Icon

• Dasterdly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:20 max letters?!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

every contractor painter I've known or hired uses sherwinn williams. I take this as some kind of indication about their quality.

#14 User is offline   nraforevr Icon

• Golems. I build golems.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Torturing metaphors
  • Ride:Viffer, fiddy

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

I know it's really late to reply, but I used to be a painter in a former life. All we did was new construx. Diamond Vogel has really cheap paint that covers new sheetrock in one coat, and it lasts in a can for a year or more so you can do touch ups. We only bought it by the five, but we could paint an entire house (1500 feet or so) one color with about 8 gallons IIRC.

For room-by-room color, I've been happy with whatever it is they sell at HD (Behr?). Again, I go back to touch something up (sometimes 7+ years later!) and the stuff in the can is still the exact same color, with a little stirring.

By cheap I mean like 10 bucks a gallon ... at least when I was buying it.

P

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users