• You cannot reply to this topic

Registration/Insurance on track bike?

#1 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:2003 600rr track, 2012 V-Star1300 street

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

First time I've owned a bike that wasn't street legal (with no intentions of it ever being street legal).

However, the guy I bought it from had it registered and kept the tabs updated on it, so it came with a clean title and a license plate. I'm going to transfer the title so that he doesn't have to deal with tab renewal notices and whatever, but are you required to register a motorcycle and keep the tabs up-to-date if it's not street legal and not being used on public roads?

Also, do most people have private track insurance? or regular auto insurance? or no vehicle insurance at all? If you crash at the track and have medical bills, will health insurance cover that since it's not on public roads? I'd imagine it's similar to crashing an uninsured ATV on private property, but I'm not sure.

#2 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:34 AM

This has always been a hot or at least interesting topic among many people - welcome to the discussion!

From what I've found, if you want insurance on a bike that is not titled, you either can't get it or you would need to basically go to Hagerty and set up some custom thing. I've tried talking with a few agents from the major carriers since I've always just wanted it to cover against theft, damage while being trailered, or total loss in the event of a fire or something, and never liability or coverage for accidents.

They basically fall into this grey area of: it's got a motor so it isn't under your homeowners (for theft/fire), it's titleable so it can't be classified as a ATV or other offroad thing, and you don't have a title so not sure they'd give you normal street bike coverage for it.

The BEST bet if you absolutely want this stuff, is to get it titled and treat it as a street bike and put insurance on it. The previous information here is all based on research I did when I was in your shoes early in our career and had the same questions, I basically gave up and we just accept that if something happens to our bikes we will have to just write them off. I haven't done this research in a few years so this may have changed or there may be newer/smaller insurance companies that have started to offer this kind of coverage.

I do not believe you are required to keep tabs up to date - but if down the road you wanted to or maybe whoever you sold it to wants to, it may be a hassle to get it going again. Though to keep tabs up to date, technically you have to give them the insurance policy it's covered under. I don't think they ever validate the insurance policy info you give them though............

RE: health insurance - without much issue almost every policy would/does cover trackdays/schools, but if you ever intend to race you need to make that phone call or read the fine print thoroughly to find out. That's potentially a big whoops if they decline it.

#3 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:13 AM

I'm not all that worried about theft/fire. I'm mostly concerned about medical bills if I crash at the track.

Some online reading said I might have the option to turn in the license plate and title and classify the bike as an off-road vehicle so I don't need to worry about title/tabs. Going to ask about it over lunch when I'm transferring the title for the other bike.

#4 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

The health insurance companies get all worried about having your vehicle insurance cover your medical but you just have to sign a slip saying you have no other medical coverage and things are handled by your health insurance as expected.

I don't cover medical on my bike insurance so a crash on the track or on the public roads work the same. Everything goes to United Healthcare. They ask and I say "no other insurance" and normal co-pays and deductables ensue.

But, ask your carrier. They will tell you exactly what will happen. I don't want you to count on my experience and have a different result with a different carrier.

Later,
Kent Larson from Woodbury

#5 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Kent Larson, on 18 June 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

But, ask your carrier. They will tell you exactly what will happen. I don't want you to count on my experience and have a different result with a different carrier.

Later,
Kent Larson from Woodbury

Yes, and make sure to be very clear about what you are trying to see is covered (about the bike or health) - I think a lot of people may think (or hope, ignorance is bliss) they might have proper coverage but may have a surprise when/if they have to make a claim.

We specifically sought out life insurance years ago that has an inclusion written into it for racing.

#6 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

mike4king, on 18 June 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

are you required to register a motorcycle and keep the tabs up-to-date if it's not street legal and not being used on public roads?

Champ, on 18 June 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

I do not believe you are required to keep tabs up to date - but if down the road you wanted to or maybe whoever you sold it to wants to, it may be a hassle to get it going again. Though to keep tabs up to date, technically you have to give them the insurance policy it's covered under. I don't think they ever validate the insurance policy info you give them though............

Went to the DMV today, in and out in 15 mins.

I asked about options for a bike that will not be used on public roads, and they wanted to change the classification to Off-Road Vehicle, but that didn't make sense cause I'd still be paying registration and whatever for it, so that would accomplish nothing. They said an alternative option is to transfer the title into my name and just never pay for tabs, and if I ever wanted to register it in the future, I'd just have to sign a non-use document saying that it wasn't registered in the meantime because it wasn't being used (similar process for cars that are getting restored or anything else that sits for a few years). I did have to provide my current insurance policy information, but I don't have (or plan on having) automotive coverage on this bike. It's not worth enough to matter.

#7 User is offline   Victor Ward Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:#461

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:00 PM

What did you find searching for the inclusion of a racing clause into life insurance?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users