• You cannot reply to this topic

Mnsbr Rate For Tree Work Still $60/hour

#1 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

Last year's tree work thread (if you want more background and testimonials) is here:
2016 tree work thread

I'm still looking for work.

Tree removal can be done any time of the year but tree trimming should be avoided, once we get 50+ degree weather, until after July. My quick rule is no tree trimming during months with names of 5 letters or less. Those months are times of high oak wilt risk and when insects and other hazards to fresh cut trees is prevalent.

My pediatric surgeon friend insists on paying me $75/hour and so that is what I charge him and his neighbors. If I ever advertise and try to make a real company out of this, I guess that's the rate I will publish but for anyone who wants to hire me from the mnsbr group, I'll keep things at $60/hour labor and $50/load for removal and disposal.

I'll quote a no-more-than-cap-price for any job before I start, if interested, but still charge only $60/hour if that comes in less than the quote. A standard guarantee is no more than 50% of what a "real" tree company quoted you. The big companies need to pay for all the big machines and cherry-picker rigs and insurance and stuff.

I have all the ropes, spikes, chain saws and other gear needed, a 8 foot box on my 2004 Dodge RAM for debris and 10+ years experience to apply to your job.

If you allow my 12 year old son or 14 year old daughter to join the job at $15/hour, you save some of my time and give them the satisfaction of being paid well for working hard. They drag brush and fill the truck and rake up scraps on jobs where we are removing the mess. I don't bring them on jobs where you want to do the clean-up to save money.

Please let me know if I can help. My calendar is currently open.

Thanks,
Kent Larson from Woodbury
Larson and Son (or Daughter) Tree Service
call/text: sex 1 too ate 6 eight 3 for 1 fore
kentlarson AT gmail DOT com <-- I think (probably delusionally) that fools the net bots.

#2 User is offline   gdubya Icon

• Rekindling Teenage Glory......er, Newb
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:'81 Yamaha SR250 Brat Tracker

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Just had Kent take down a dying tree in my back yard that was leaning over my power and Internet lines. He did the job in less time than he quoted, and to me it seemed like a spectacular value. For this job, I chose to do the cleanup. I will be having Kent take down a larger and fuller tree in my front yard and haul it all away very soon, and trim the part of another tree that leans over the house in the fall which is when he advised.

Kent is easy to work with, very knowledgeable, communicates well, and is punctual. Nice guy, too.

Thanks, Kent!

#3 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

View Postgdubya, on 22 June 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

Thanks, Kent!

No problem. Thanks for the nice words and opportunity to get a few hours exercise. Let me know when you want that front yard tree scheduled.

Still at $60/hour for anyone else who mentions mnsbr, $75/hour otherwise.

MNSBR Rates:
$60/hour solo tree work
$75/hour for me in the tree and my son on the ground pulling brush into piles or into the truck.
$50/load to haul away and dispose. I can fit a good 4000+ pounds in my 8-foot box RAM 2500.

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury
call/text: sex 1 too ate 6 eight 3 for 1 fore (because I'm delusional and think that fools the net bots)

#4 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

I finally went and bought myself a chainsaw! That was last week, still haven't used it. One of these days I'll have the time to get around to trimming stuff up!

#5 User is offline   henks Icon

• dang!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:stuff

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

Make sure you invest the money in a pair on saw chaps. In my felling class they showed us pictures of chain strikes on legs, and saw chaps that saved people's legs. I never cut without wearing my saw chaps anymore.

#6 User is offline   Katie Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:00 SV650 Race

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

View Posthenks, on 23 June 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

Make sure you invest the money in a pair on saw chaps. In my felling class they showed us pictures of chain strikes on legs, and saw chaps that saved people's legs. I never cut without wearing my saw chaps anymore.

We made sure to get those too!

#7 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

View Posthenks, on 23 June 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

Yep I got a pair at the same time, I may be stupid but I'm not dumb. Or maybe that's the other way around...

#8 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Uh, why not just not chainsaw on your legs?

#9 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

Seriously though, make sure your saw will _stop_ the second you let go of the trigger and that the kick-back brake is functioning. One of the reasons I only take my battery operated Dewalt saw with me up in the tree is because it only spins the chain when you are pulling the trigger.

Stay safe out there.

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury

#10 User is offline   TLRSKUNK Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:16 R1 60th Anniversary, 2010 YZ450 Sumo/dirt, 15 Grom

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

I sent Eric Hjelter your number.

#11 User is offline   Beckett Icon

• I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Ride:Like the wind!

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

Where about's do you do work? I have a tree that seemed perfectly fine last year (to my unskilled arborists eye), and this year it's either dead or taking a long winters nap. Tall oak.

#12 User is offline   JohnnyCage Icon

• No Ragrets
  • Interests:Roadracing & Guitar
  • Ride:At the back of the expert grid

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:14 AM

Bump for Ken(t). He came and took care of a scraggly tree for me last fall. Will have him out again in the fall!

#13 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

View PostTLRSKUNK, on 27 June 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

I sent Eric Hjelter your number.

Cool. Thanks. Just did his tree yesterday. Only took 1 hour.

#14 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostBeckett, on 28 June 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

Where about's do you do work? I have a tree that seemed perfectly fine last year (to my unskilled arborists eye), and this year it's either dead or taking a long winters nap. Tall oak.

Oak wilt is a big problem around here. Don't do any trimming of Oaks until fall and definitely not during April/May/June/July. If they get damage from wind or lightening during the trouble months, it can be a death sentence for Oaks due to the wilt.

I work all around the twin cities area. Live in Woodbury, work in Minneapolis. I'll travel 30-40 minutes if needed but further out, I really should get something for gas and travel time unless its a big job.

If it's a job I can do by motorcycle, I don't mind the travel as it just gives me an excuse to go for a ride. I can do about any job by bike if I'm not loading up and removing the debris. I prefer jobs where I get to make the mess and let you clean it up but I'll clean and haul away as well if that is what you want.

Text me an address and I'll come out to look. I don't have any job scheduled this weekend so a reason to ride would be good.

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury
Voice or text: sex 1 too ate 6 eight 3 for 1 fore

#15 User is offline   crakerjac Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newb

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

+1 for Kent. I've had him bring down about 7 trees now. A couple were quite challenging, but Kent is a stand up guy and does great work.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users