E-Bike Want to test drive one?

#16 User is offline   Sam Farris Icon

• The man behind the monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:99 SV650 (TRACK)

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 04 October 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

Last weekend I saw a 3-year-old compete in an observed trials event on an electric motorcycle.

What a perfect application for an electric motorcycle!

Sam

#17 User is offline   atomic41 Icon

• when life gives you lemons...paint that shit gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:yes!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 04 October 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

I was a lot more interested in electric motorcycles before I realized they have no need for a gearbox. To me, part of the appeal of any motorcycle is the challenge presented by the correct use of a gearbox. I will never own a motorcycle that does not have a gearbox.

So, although it is not for me, I do see applications. Last weekend I saw a 3-year-old compete in an observed trials event on an electric motorcycle. It was manufactured by a company called OSET: http://osetbike.com/...cts/Bikes1.html

Fairly inexpensive, and would certainly solve the noise problem of a kid riding a minibike in a suburban backyard.

View PostSam Farris, on 04 October 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

What a perfect application for an electric motorcycle!

Sam

Yes, and yes. The day we no longer shift motorcycles like most cars are now will be a sad...sad day. That is a very big part of the thrill of riding and without it...I'm just not interested. But an E trials bike sounds cool.

#18 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:41 AM

I got to ride an electric motorcycle! Well, maybe "motorcycle" is too charitable a term? It was an Oset 24.0R with an MSRP of $4300 See: https://osetbikes.co...et-24-0-racing/ Oset is a UK company that started out by making electric trials bikes for children. Last year they expanded their range to include the 24.0R -- it's still a very small bike, but is specified for riders up to 190 pounds. The bike has found a niche with guys who stunt trials bicycles. Those guys can do some amazing things with bicycles, and no less so with the 24.0R -- so I had high hopes.

A bit of background... My wife is interested in buying a trials bike she can "thrash" -- something small and lightweight where she could learn skills that would apply to her regular trials bike. Two women were riding these Osets at last weekend's trials competition where Cindy and I both managed to mooch rides.

Likely because the 24.0R is intended to appeal to bicyclists, there is no foot brake. Instead, a hand-operated rear brake is located where the clutch lever would be on a motorcycle. I could sort of understand that, but there is no provision to fit a standard rear brake. The brakes are both bicycle-quality cable-operated mechanical units. These poor brakes were not a problem because I never went fast enough to care. At least the front brake is on the motorcycle side.

In addition to the throttle, there are three potentiometers to tailor the motor control parameters: Speed, Power, and Response. They do exactly what their names imply. The settings used by their very inexperienced owners were approximately: Speed 100%, Power 30%, Response 20%. After a minute of riding, I cranked all controls to 100%. It turned out that 100% power was really too much as the bike wanted to loop-out on moderate inclines so I set it somewhere around midpoint. Unfortunately, this turned out to be woefully inadequate for even a simple hill-climb and the bike stalled halfway up.

But the thing that really offended me was the "response" or lack thereof. If you want to jump a log on Wednesday, you'd better start twisting the throttle on Tuesday (and this with the response knob set to 100%). Although throttle-up response was way too slow, the throttle-down response was just the opposite -- instantaneous. I theorize this was intended to provide regenerative braking. I'm sure you could get used to it, but then you (at least, I) would have trouble riding a regular 2-stroke trials bike.

In an ideal world, an electric trials bike without a true clutch would have a clutch lever that operated as an additional "throttle" to modulate power delivery. At the very least with the clutch lever fully pulled-in, the motor should "freewheel" with no regenerative braking effect. On the bigger electric trials bikes this is called the "oh-shit" lever.

So I could see with a bit of (okay, a lot of) re-engineering, I could make a rideable bike -- but Cindy did not like it any better than I did. For slightly more money I can buy a used Electric Motion (full size, French built) trials bike (also lacking a clutch). But that would not fulfill Cindy's desire for something thrashable. It seems like the best chance of such a bike is the Mecatecno Dragonfly, see: http://midwestmototrials.com/ Unfortunately, that bike was "introduced" in 2015 and there still aren't any production models available yet.

Actually, I think the best chance for an electric trials bike that I would like has just been announced by Yamaha. See: https://dirtbikemaga...odel-announced/ But who know when, or even if, that will be mass-produced.

And, as for my 2011 statement about never owning a motorcycle without gearbox, maybe I need to modify that to "never owning a motorcycle without a clutch and flywheel"?

#19 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 15 May 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

And, as for my 2011 statement about never owning a motorcycle without gearbox, maybe I need to modify that to "never owning a motorcycle without a clutch and flywheel"?

That's the kicker. I can't imagine any motorcycle being purely throttle driven. Especially a trials bike that requires so much precision control. With that said, the Yamaha you linked looks bad ass!

#20 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 15 May 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

But the thing that really offended me was the "response" or lack thereof. If you want to jump a log on Wednesday, you'd better start twisting the throttle on Tuesday (and this with the response knob set to 100%). Although throttle-up response was way too slow, the throttle-down response was just the opposite -- instantaneous.

Just wanted to add some information about this... According to the local Oset dealer, that's what happens when the battery is low. Well, okay. Then the battery monitor needs improving, as the owner said there was plenty of energy remaining for me to ride it.

#21 User is offline   slopoke Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:takin it slo because I loves you girl
  • Ride:segway to the lrt

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

I went south this winter for some off roading and at the ride I was at there was a dealership demoing alta's. I did not ride but I spoke with a guy who did and he ws pretty fired up about its torque. he said it made up for its weight. I'd like to ride one and planned on it but it dumped rain for the last 3 days of my trip and they put the demos away.

#22 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Alta dropped prices significantly for 2018.
https://exhaust.race...n-to-all-models

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users