MNSBR: Who Is Working On Getting In Riding Shape? - MNSBR

• 92 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who Is Working On Getting In Riding Shape?

#16 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

Sam congrats man! That is a major accomplishment, and will pay off HUGE once you start track riding.
I'm sure you are aware, but we have many riders your age, and older, join us and they are some of my personal favorite to work with.

Someone with your years of street experience is a great asset to a ZARS day. We do our best to tie in real life scenarios in our lessons, and riders like yourself have shared many situations some of our younger riders haven't come across. So thanks in advance and I am really looking forward to seeing you out there!

(Gilad was my hero on sunday mornings as a kid )

#17 User is offline   jessicaz Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

It's so awesome to see hear this from everyone. Conditioning is so important to riding and just your overall being. I know I couldn't have been as competitive as I was racing professionally or big bikes without the endurance, cardiovascular, flexibility and strength training on a regular basis.

We're working on some things right now, including a ZARS 5K on April 23! Getting out your walking or running shoes!

#18 User is offline   skell15 Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

Improving my riding through physical and psychological training is my focus this offseason. As I mentioned on Facebook, I picked up the Motorsport Fitness Manual about a month ago and it's easily one of the best investments I've made in my riding. It covers particular exercises, foods, stretches and circuit training plans as well as a chapter on motorsport psychology. Prior to this book I was kind of lost in the gym just guessing what I should do. In the last month I've only missed going to the gym three days and I've lost seven pounds while gaining who knows how many pounds in muscle. The motivation this book gave me to kick my own ass is easily the best part of it.

I started Psychology of Motorsport Success a few days ago and I'm very excited to work on this stuff. Plain and simple guys, the thing holding you back from being better on your bike is you. Learning how to avoid the pitfalls of doubt and questioning your ability will pay off dividends.

My goal is to be finishing in the top-5 in my first year as an expert and I can tell you that if and when I do, I didn't get up there because my stock seven year old bike is faster than most other bikes, it's because I worked harder than the people I beat.

#19 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that goes bwaaaAAAAAAAAA
  • Ride:1000rr Race. Jonahs old fiddy.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

I see a lot of guys doing really well in the cra smoking, drinking, and partying all night. I'm gonna go that route.

#20 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

View PostMarls, on 06 January 2011 - 09:36 PM, said:

I see a lot of guys doing really well in the cra smoking, drinking, and partying all night. I'm gonna go that route.

lol, man I can't even think of one, let alone a lot...

cra must stand for something different than I thought :P

#21 User is offline   Madchild Icon

• Cheng's Dynasty Racing in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Alliance Jiu Jitsu
  • Ride:'07 Aprilia SR50 Factory,

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Guys who can afford it should check out Jiu Jitsu gyms around you're area. Two name to I highly recommend is Damian Hirtz at Revolution in Bloomington/Edina and Greg Nelson at Minnesota Martial Arts Academy in Brooklyn Center (or Park) can't remember.

Jiu Jitsu will have increase your fluidity of your body, flexibility, strength, and endurance. So this sport really teaches you how to relax yourself and it's not about how much you can bench press or squat.
For Example: yesterday I was rolling with a former power lifter. I got him in the guillotine in 20seconds. The second go around I got the true test of his strength. I was staying clam and relax while he was forcing the situation.

#22 User is offline   atomic41 Icon

• when life gives you lemons...paint that shit gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:yes!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

View PostMarls, on 06 January 2011 - 09:36 PM, said:

Imagine how much better they could be if they practiced a more disciplined routine. Do you want to reach your potential, or daydream about what that potential might be?

I'll speak for myself and share my personal experience of how I could have been better.

A couple of years ago, I was in a race that I desperately wanted to win. I lead Nelly, (some here know him) every lap of a race from the beginning. He was on my back wheel but I kept outbraking him, and running blocking lines to keep him behind me. I was so stoked to be leading him into the last lap, and thought I was going to finally beat him.
I was pushing hard and it was taking it's toll. Without knowing it, I was brain fading. I went out of T12 and held the gas a little bit too long, and ran too deep into T13. I went past my turn in point and I don't think I even relized it. I just knew that I was in real far and had to recover, so I threw the bike over hard to try and stay commited. My peg touched down, lifted the bike and I went for a ride the wrong way. I was so ticked off, I was screaming in my helmet because I was leading him into the last lap.
I went home after that weekend and decided that I was going to change myself. I was tired of being exhausted after a sprint race, and destroyed after every race weekend. If I was in my current physical conditioning during that race, I would have owned it. Now I can run the 5 hr. endurance with 40 minute stints and feel like I'm walking around the block. The ability to stay relaxed, focused, consistent, and perform is incredibly easier when your at a level of high physical fitness.
I am sharing my experience to hopefully convince someone to make that choice because the benefit is huge. I work with ZARS because I have a passion for helping other people find their potential. I am 100% convinced that people will not find their potential unless they are physically and mentally fit enough. This extends way beyond the track too. At 39 yrs. old, I feel like I'm 19 again. I have energy all day now and feel great. Getting fit not only makes you a better rider, but it makes your whole life better.

2011 is going to be a killer year at ZARS. Riders reading this are getting a preview of some of the things we are working on behind the scenes. I hope that everyone reading this finds a little bit of something that will help them get motivated to move towards finding their potential.

:Cheers:

#23 User is offline   Metalseth Icon

• Wadded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:...
  • Ride:Zuma 4 life.

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

Robin and I worked out pretty hard for 6 months last year and busted our asses for the last 3 before the season. Three days of a cardio/lifting workout and two or three days of cardio a week. It paid off for sure.

We are back in the gym getting ready for this year again. I don't think I'm going to be as crazy about it as I was last year (I probably have mercury poisoning from all the tuna I ate) but the 45-90 minutes 4-6 times a week is worth it.

When you're eating healthy with it... don't forget cheat day. Nothing better than a deep dish pizza to treat yourself for hard work done :)

#24 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

Christian you impressed a lot of people, we most likely teased you, but were seriously impressed.
You are a rider who can fully take advantage of even the slightest power to weight transfer...
What happens when a fast rider loses 15-25lbs?

Lightning in a size 42 suit.

This is the only way I can eat my tuna anymore
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   slopoke Icon

• Interests:takin it slo because I loves you girl
  • Ride:segway to the lrt

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

http://thefixstudio.com/

#26 User is offline   atomic41 Icon

• when life gives you lemons...paint that shit gold
  • Ride:yes!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

View Postfifty_one_fifty, on 07 January 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

You are a rider who can fully take advantage of even the slightest power to weight transfer...

Christian is an example of how that some people's "potential" is much higher than the rest of us. ;)

#27 User is offline   Sam Farris Icon

• The man behind the monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:99 SV650 (TRACK)

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

View Postfifty_one_fifty, on 07 January 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

Christian you impressed a lot of people, we most likely teased you, but were seriously impressed.

Lightning in a size 42 suit.

This is the only way I can eat my tuna anymore
Posted Image

I'm going to be more like thunder in a size 40 suit (thunder = 720 miles/hr., lightning = 186,000 miles/sec.) ;)

I tried very lightly-grilled tuna recently and just didn't have the stomach for it. I've been eating grilled chicken, Tilapia, and lots of fruits and vegetables. I ocassionally have a hamburger or a brat, but those times are the exception. I don't recall the last time I ate fast food. As a snack between meals I've been munching on Fleet Farm trail mix. All I drink is ice water. I can remember not all that long ago that water tasted gross to me; now its all I crave. This diet change didn't happen overnight, but has been a gradual shift over the past year.

I know this is kind of random, but I've always used obliques as a gauge/milestone in my fitness journey. My criteria has been if I can start to see my obliques, then I'm just about 'there'.

Sam

#28 User is offline   White Space Icon

• The cuter half of MPDN.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'05 Zuma, '05 SV650s

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

Diet is such a huge part of it. No amount of cardio can overcome a bad diet.

When I developed an allergy to Garlic I had to completely change the way I ate. Since it's in everything, no kidding, everything. It's taken about a year for it to become habit but now I made 95% of all the food we eat from scratch. I use organic stuff when it's convenient and always opt for whole grains; And as a side-effect of eating a totally clean diet, Jonah lost almost 7lbs (IIRC) by not doing anything but eating what I put in front of him.

Changing your diet and learning to cook can be overwhelming. Just start by reading the ingredients of things you do or want to eat, and take note of the different spices that go with different meats and cuisines. Then go get a spice rack, it's going to be just as valuable as 5x it's weight in, well weights.

#29 User is offline   H8Tank Icon

• G'day
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:FZ09, ATK605, Indian Roadmaster

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Since I'm not a diabetic, I'm going this route http://www.cnn.com/2...ssor/index.html

#30 User is offline   Sam Farris Icon

• The man behind the monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:99 SV650 (TRACK)

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

View PostWhite Space, on 07 January 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

Diet is such a huge part of it. No amount of cardio can overcome a bad diet.

When I developed an allergy to Garlic I had to completely change the way I ate. Since it's in everything, no kidding, everything. It's taken about a year for it to become habit but now I made 95% of all the food we eat from scratch. I use organic stuff when it's convenient and always opt for whole grains; And as a side-effect of eating a totally clean diet, Jonah lost almost 7lbs (IIRC) by not doing anything but eating what I put in front of him.

Changing your diet and learning to cook can be overwhelming. Just start by reading the ingredients of things you do or want to eat, and take note of the different spices that go with different meats and cuisines. Then go get a spice rack, it's going to be just as valuable as 5x it's weight in, well weights.

For me, its hell getting old.

I became lactose intolerate at about age 35. No milk, cheese, ice cream, pizza, most Italian and Mexican food, and take a look at a lot of processed foods that list 'whey' as an ingredient (by-product of dairy food processing, i.e. 'curds & whey'). A lot of soups, stews and gravy mixes have whey in them.

To add more fuel to the fire, I also get migraine headaches from alcohol and/or sugar; no beer/booze or candy bars, glazed donuts, orange juice, etc.

It is pure hell going over to somebodys house to eat cuz' they don't know what the f--- to serve that I can eat!

Sam

Share this topic:

• 92 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users