MNSBR: Who Is Working On Getting In Riding Shape? - MNSBR

• 92 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who Is Working On Getting In Riding Shape?

#1 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Last season we saw quite a few ZARS RIDERS realize how being better conditioned could really benefit their efforts on the bike.
Some even had to order new gear towards the end of the season, NICE WORK!

Now is the time, attack it. This year will have an amazing amount of track time available to us, make the most of it from the very start.

Two main areas to focus on, if you need some guidance, would be:

1. Cardiovascular Conditioning , increasing your work tolerance so your last track session of the day can be your BEST! (simple interval training, jog/run, high rep circuit training, anything that gets your heart rate up for 20-60 minutes 3-5x's per week or more if you are an animal!)

2. Flexability , increasing your range of motion in which you still maintain "comfortable" control is something that we see many folks struggle with. Imagine the sense of feel and control you have while sitting neutral on the bike, now hanging off- arms and legs stretched to the max- with proper training you can BROADEN your own operating range.

Combine these two trainings and YOU will be a track weapon, not just the bike.
Greatest part about it, is you do not need special equipment or a membership somewhere... just dedication to yourself.

Best of luck to all of you who are looking to improve, ZARS RIDERS rock and we believe in you.

Let's hear who's doing what B)

#2 User is offline   Spooling Icon

• Here gopher!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:2000 Mille / 2002 XR-50 / 2007 SV Race

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

Let's hear your tips on increasing flexibility, especially in the hips, if you have any beyond doing some yoga.

Oh yes, my conditioning consists of broomball 2x/3x a week, hockey 1x/2x, basketball 1x, and martial arts 1x/2x.

#3 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

View PostSpooling, on 06 January 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

Let's hear your tips on increasing flexibility, especially in the hips, if you have any beyond doing some yoga.

Oh yes, my conditioning consists of broomball 2x/3x a week, hockey 1x/2x, basketball 1x, and martial arts 1x/2x.

Jay, this is an area I struggle with personally. Quite a few years back I was rear ended by a van at a stop light while on a bike, which shot me out into the intersection landing, and damaging, my right hip. If I do nothing, it losses mobility quickly. Like most injuries, the area tends to tighten up which makes it an even worse situation if you are involved in a future crash.

Nothing stretches muscles, tendons and ligaments like getting off a motorcycle at speed. So another hidden benefit of being as flexible as possible, you can handle a good tumble if need be :)

Back to hips. I have found standard butterfly and runner type stretches to be very good at targeting the exact area I am working on. The range I'm hitting on is your lateral hip mobility; bring your knee up perpendicular to your torso, then rotate outward to the side.

Stretching is tough work, and I am not a fan of yoga, but a good 10 minute session of butterfly and other hip/hamstring stretches after some cardio training is the key.

edit: and kickass to you buddy for being so active, nice!

#4 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Jay, I've used this site quite a bit- check it out HIP MOBILITY

#5 User is offline   Aprilian Icon

• Caution, Race Track Ahead!
  • Interests:Helping people who run out of talent before they run out of horsepower!
  • Ride:Street Triple R

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

Is ROUND a shape? 'cause I'm getting in shape - uh huh.

#6 User is offline   atomic41 Icon

• when life gives you lemons...paint that shit gold
  • Ride:yes!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Great thread Nick. Your time on the motorcycle is much more enjoyable when you are feeling on top of your game. Not only will you be able to still rock that last session of the day, but you will dramatically improve your learning curve through the higher level of performance that you will be at. Being in the best shape that you can be, really does make that big of a difference when you are riding...especially on the track.
I will be putting focus this year on relaxation techniques as well. I will be talking a lot about riding efficiently. If you are in kick butt shape and riding more efficiently, you will rock every corner and feel like it was effortless! But before we get there...get off the couch and get busy because you need to be in good shape before we can take your riding to the next level.

I'll start with sharing my workout routine...
Until it got real cold, I was running 10K everyday.
I'm almost through P90X for the second time.
I've added body resistance training recently and I'm really happy with it.
I workout for 1-1.5 hrs. everyday.
Eat healthy, whey protein drinks everyday...I've cut out 95% of beer, no more junk food, chips, etc.

I was in decent shape last year, but this year...I'm not even the same person.
Anyone else care to share?
:Cheers:

#7 User is offline   atomic41 Icon

• when life gives you lemons...paint that shit gold
  • Ride:yes!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Oh, and with the flexibility issues, I highly recommend yoga. I know that it's not what you guys want to hear, but it really does wonders for your flexibility. It's also very relaxing.

#8 User is offline   White Space Icon

• The cuter half of MPDN.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:'05 Zuma, '05 SV650s

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

If you get bored in Yoga (as I do zzzzz), Pilates is a good thing to try. It's focus is on core strength and being able to move your limbs (with weighted restraints) independently while maintaining a solid core. In 5 sessions it will change the shape of your body and in 10 you'll have a whole new body, it's been amazing.

#9 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Great stuff guys!

I've got a crazy idea...

#10 User is offline   White Space Icon

• The cuter half of MPDN.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:'05 Zuma, '05 SV650s

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

View Postfifty_one_fifty, on 06 January 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

...I've got a crazy idea...

HA just one I'm sure :P

#11 User is offline   Mike B. Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Hump'n Stuff
  • Ride:07R6

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

im round, thats a shape right?

#12 User is offline   vettemechmike Icon

• vettemechmike
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

I'm working on recovering from my injuries from my crash at MAM on Oct. 10th. I just had an MRI on my shoulder and don't need surgery so I should be good to go for some track riding in the spring. As far as getting in shape I'm 6 weeks into P90X.

#13 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

View Postvettemechmike, on 06 January 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

I'm working on recovering from my injuries from my crash at MAM on Oct. 10th. I just had an MRI on my shoulder and don't need surgery so I should be good to go for some track riding in the spring. As far as getting in shape I'm 6 weeks into P90X.

Nice work, and good news!

Keep it going buddy.

#14 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

View PostAprilian, on 06 January 2011 - 03:25 PM, said:

Is ROUND a shape? 'cause I'm getting in shape - uh huh.

View PostMike B., on 06 January 2011 - 06:05 PM, said:

im round, thats a shape right?

lol, one pack abs baby!

#15 User is offline   Sam Farris Icon

• The man behind the monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:99 SV650 (TRACK)

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

I'm planning on signing up for Zars this year. I have never been on a track or taken any kind of motorcycle riding instruction. Yup, I'm a 55-year old first-timer; scary right?

A year ago I was 184 lbs. At 5’7” that’s a bit overweight unless you’re built like a pro football player. I wasn’t. Today I’m 166 lbs and I’ve dropped a few pant sizes.

My fitness goal for 2011 is to be able to participate in a bicycle ‘century ride’ (100 mile ride). I’ve done them in the past when I was younger and in good shape. Based upon my current progress I don’t think I’ll have a problem reaching that goal this year.

How did I do it?

In May of last year (2010) I started working out 2 or 3 times a week to a 1.2-hour ‘Gilad’ aerobics & toning DVD. Starting in September I began lifting weights in addition to the aerobics & toning. In October I started riding a stationary bicycle while watching a ‘spinning’ DVD in addition to the weight-lifting and the aerobics & toning. I’m currently exercising 6~7 days a week for about an hour a day; alternating between these three activities on a three-day cycle. I’ve recently added some variety by alternating my weight-lifting days with a medium-weight/high-rep one day and a heavy-weight/low-rep the next ‘weight’ day. I’ve incorporated a similar concept to the bicycling days by using my middle front-gear one day and the large front- gear the next ‘bike’ day.

My weight-lifting program is of my own creation. I do jumping-jacks, touch-toes, and running in place to warm-up. I then do sit-ups, leg-raises, bent-over barbell rows, front & rear military press, tricep press-downs (using lat-bar), flat & inclined bench press and flies, lat-bar pull-downs, back raises, squats, seated arm curls, wrist curls, inverted wrist curls, front, side, & back dumbbell arm raises.

To add variety to the aerobics & toning and the spinning days I have an assortment of VCR tapes and DVDs to choose from. All of my aerobics tapes and DVDs are ‘Gilad'. I like Gilad because his moves are easy to follow, he focuses on the whole body rather than just targeting ‘popular’ muscles groups, and his ‘cast’ typically are young fit women that are very easy on the eye!

Sam

Attached File(s)

Share this topic:

• 92 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users