• You cannot reply to this topic

Children In Slingshot?

#1 User is online   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:'12 GSX-R750

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

I'm not planning on buying a Slingshot, but if I were ....

My son is 6 months old. At what point would he be able to ride in a Slingshot?

MN Statute 169.974 subd 5 part b says "No person shall ride upon a motorcycle as a passenger unless the person can reach the footrests or floorboards with both feet."

I'm here here to question/argue whether or not it's a good idea, just trying to figure out the laws regarding it. Is it just at a point when his legs are long enough to touch the floor while seat belted in the seat? Which (I'm assuming) means that carseats are never an option in a Slingshot? Or does the previous statute point only apply to motorcycles and not "autocycles" or whatever they're classifying Slingshots as? Having difficulty finding the answer.

Just curious. :)

#2 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that goes bwaaaAAAAAAAAA
  • Ride:1000rr Race. Jonahs old fiddy.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

They don't even let kids turn around until after age 2 now, so i'm pretty sure riding in a sling shot is never supposed to happen until they are 18 or something stupid like that.

#3 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• Pirate in training
  • Interests:Riding liquid-cooled, 2 wheeled motorbikes
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. 2006 Harley V-Rod. 03 Yamaha YZF-R1. '14 Yamaha YZ250. Giant Yukon.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

They were re-classified a year ago as not a motorcycle here in MN.

Have you driven one? They suck. Gutless, terrible brakes and lots of body roll.

#4 User is online   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostTorchsport, on 09 October 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Have you driven one? They suck. Gutless, terrible brakes and lots of body roll.

So they share car seat laws with regular cars then?

Yes I've driven them a few times now, and with a few small modifications, I think it'd be pretty fun to own one. I'd take a Slingshot over one of those stupid CanAm things aaaaannnnyyy day. I'm picturing the idea of commuting into downtown and cruising around town with my kid, especially at a younger age when I'm not comfortable with him on the back of a motorcycle yet. I'd totally do a cross country road trip in one of those, although I'd have to pack super light.

I was also curious about the idea of snow tires and heated gear in a Slingshot. I'm sure you could easily have fun in the snow, but I'm wondering if you could get enough traction with snow tires to make it a realistic daily driver in the snow. I've seen a number of soft-top options and larger windshields for them that make me want to try it.

#5 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• Pirate in training
  • Interests:Riding liquid-cooled, 2 wheeled motorbikes
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. 2006 Harley V-Rod. 03 Yamaha YZF-R1. '14 Yamaha YZ250. Giant Yukon.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

View Postmike4king, on 09 October 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

Good question. All i know for sure is that you no longer need a motorcycle endorsement to drive one.

#6 User is offline   ripperd Icon

• aka Dean
  • Interests:snowmobiles, bikes
  • Ride:08 WR250X/R, Kymco 125, CRF50

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Yes I've driven them a few times now, and with a few small modifications, I think it'd be pretty fun to own one. I'd take a Slingshot over one of those stupid CanAm things aaaaannnnyyy day. I'm picturing the idea of commuting into downtown and cruising around town with my kid, especially at a younger age when I'm not comfortable with him on the back of a motorcycle yet. I'd totally do a cross country road trip in one of those, although I'd have to pack super light.

I was also curious about the idea of snow tires and heated gear in a Slingshot. I'm sure you could easily have fun in the snow, but I'm wondering if you could get enough traction with snow tires to make it a realistic daily driver in the snow. I've seen a number of soft-top options and larger windshields for them that make me want to try it.

I'd bet that like motorcycles, it is not designed with corrosion resistance in mind. I bet things would rust out very quickly if used much in the winter.

#7 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostTorchsport, on 09 October 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

So it's in some never-never land where you don't need a motorcycle license to drive it, but it doesn't have to comply with automotive safety/emission regulations either?

I recently saw a group of ten or so driving together -- reminded me of a car club.

#8 User is offline   cra_fizzer Icon

• Official BIR hater...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Big Al

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

I'd take a Slingshot over one of those stupid CanAm things aaaaannnnyyy day.

Have you actually thrown a leg over a Can-Am????? Thing corners like nobody's business. An ex CRA racer friend of mine has one and it was damn hard to keep up with him in the corners.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than those stupid hardtail trikes.

And NO, a Slingshot is not a bike. Period.

#9 User is online   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

View Postcra_fizzer, on 09 October 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Have you actually thrown a leg over a Can-Am????? Thing corners like nobody's business. An ex CRA racer friend of mine has one and it was damn hard to keep up with him in the corners.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than those stupid hardtail trikes.

They must have been on a different CanAm than the one I rode, because I HATED the one I rode. I wouldn't even take one for free. Felt like it was going to roll when going around a cloverleaf.

#10 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • Ride:'14 Thruxton, '14 CBR650F, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '04 WR450F

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

Drive a Can-Am like a snowmobile and they work pretty damn well in my experience.

#11 User is offline   Johnbigdog Icon

• I should really edit this?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:08 GSX650F

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

View Postmiweber929, on 09 October 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

Drive a Can-Am like a snowmobile and they work pretty damn well in my experience.

There is a couple with them (one for him, one for her) in the Ford Motorcycle Club.The husband said the same thing.

Their one complaint is finding a good dealership to service them.

#12 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:59 AM

View Postcra_fizzer, on 09 October 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

An ex CRA racer friend of mine has one and it was damn hard to keep up with him in the corners.

Doesn't surprise me (not meant as a slight against you, Fizz).

When talk of these reverse-trike things has come up before, I tried to find an internet reference to backup my recollection but without success. As best I remember, it was the early 2000s when I read/heard about a guy who built one with, I think, a ZRX1200 as the pusher. While testing it at Blackhawk Farms, he bested the outright motorcycle lap record there.

#13 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 10 October 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

When talk of these reverse-trike things has come up before, I tried to find an internet reference to backup my recollection but without success. As best I remember, it was early the 2000s when I read/heard about a guy who built one with, I think, a ZRX1200 as the pusher. While testing it at Blackhawk Farms, he bested the outright motorcycle lap record there.

At least since I've been on the board (so within the last 5 years), there has been some talk here and there of bringing a 3-wheeled class to existence. If there are people that want to race them who are we to say no!?

#14 User is offline   ripperd Icon

• aka Dean
  • Interests:snowmobiles, bikes
  • Ride:08 WR250X/R, Kymco 125, CRF50

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 10 October 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

When talk of these reverse-trike things has come up before, I tried to find an internet reference to backup my recollection but without success. As best I remember, it was early the 2000s when I read/heard about a guy who built one with, I think, a ZRX1200 as the pusher. While testing it at Blackhawk Farms, he bested the outright motorcycle lap record there.

Indeed. Getting a bit off topic here, but people tend to think that motorcycles corner really well. They actually don't. They are pretty much a giant compromise. What they really have going for them is aerodynamics, performance-to-dollar ratio, and power-to-weight ratios. A light car with fat rubber will out corner a motorcycle easily. But it'll take a car 5-10x+ the cost of a bike to equal it in performance.

I've ridden my SV and driven my S2000 each at DCTC. It would be really interesting and fun to run the same layout back to back and time them.

#15 User is offline   Katie Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:00 SV650 Race

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Adding my 2 cents on the children part of things, I would guess if thy are not classified as a motorcycle that they would follow the same car seat laws and recommendations. Rear facing is required until age 1 in Minnesota but recommended until 2 or later. It is recommended that they stay rear facing until they outgrow the car seat rear facing. Then they move forward facing in a harness until at least 4 but best until they outgrow the harness. My 4 and 6 year old are both forward facing in a harness still. The 6 year old is in 1st grade and still in a car seat. The 6 year old rear faced until 3 1/2 and the 4 year old until 2 1/2. She was much smaller which is why she was longer in each stage. Both will remain in a forward facing harness for awhile longer. After that, they go to a booster seat. Also, they canít sit in the front seat of a car until age 13. Based on all of this, I canít imagine that you would be able to take a child under 13 if it is not a motorcycle. Yet to ride a motorcycle, they just need a helmet and to touch the pegs. Lol!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users