• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Valve Adjustment

#1 User is offline   crakerjac Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newb

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

So I think the valves need to be adjusted on my VFR1200. I've done some reading and it's quite an involved process. Just to get at the spark plugs, one has to pull the plastics, remove the tank, airbox and throttle bodies. I've done all the work on the bike to this point and this is one of those things that is just outside my comfort zone. I've torn the bike down to the throttle bodies and thanked the bike gods I didn't have to go any further.

Is there someplace/someone reputable that can do this for me? My time is at a premium these days and I know it's something I can't devote an entire day (or longer) to to figure it out. I'm not terribly fond of just bringing it to the dealer since this isn't a popular bike and it's not obvious how the Tupperware comes off without breaking stuff.

#2 User is offline   C3L1CA Icon

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:'12 ZX10R, '09 Warrior, '01 yz250, '14 SSR 125

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

I used a little mom and pop type of shop to press in some wheel bearings for me in Minneapolis called Go Moto. http://gomotomn.com/content/. He was way quicker than any other shop could've fit me in and was cheaper too. When I was doing the valve adjustment on my zx10 I called him to see if he had shims and he was superhelpful even though he didn't have exactly what I needed. Could be worth a call to him and a couple other places to get a feel for which one you'd trust your bike with and get a few quotes.

To save a few bucks and if you're worried about the plastics, maybe you could take some of the more confusing plastics off to save some labor from whoever you bring the bike to? One less thing for them to do and if you're comfortable doing that and they are willing to drop the price a few bucks for not having to take as much of the bike apart, seems like a win win.

#3 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

+1 on everything C3L1CA said.
I will _always_ recommend Marty at Go Moto for any and all motorcycle work. He will do a great job for way less than market but he would also really like the bike naked before he gets it.

Later,
Kent

#4 User is offline   crakerjac Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Newb

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

That works for me. He doesn't have to worry about pulling bodywork and I don't have to worry about it getting all buggered up.

I'll look up Marty and see what he says.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users