• You cannot reply to this topic

Super Grom Build

#106 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

When is the next Grom get together for us non-facebook old guys? I'd love to see the builds close up.

#107 User is offline   Vrooom Icon

• Its coming rite at me!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:sold !2012 Gsxr 750,sold!2011 Ninja 1000 Sport tour thang"sold" ,09 Ktm 690 SMC Vrooom Vrooom!!! 06 Red GSXR 750 Sold!!!, 11 YzF 450 SuperTard/Mx

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:36 PM

crakerjac, on 05 September 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

I like option 2. Sorta reminds me if Invader Zim...

Posted Image

This build makes me super jealous... Wishing I had purchased a Grom over the Z...

Zed The Invader!!!!

#108 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR street
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:48 AM

View PostKent Larson, on 05 September 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

When is the next Grom get together for us non-facebook old guys? I'd love to see the builds close up.

Feel free to text me anytime you're looking for group ride info. I can't guaranty I'll remember to reach out before a ride.

I want to schedule a small bike Sketti Ride out to Sal's in Withrow this coming Monday. We'll do a loop around square lake and then eat at Sal's. They have "Free" (with purchase of a drink) spaghetti. It's only noodles and sauce but it's delicious. They charge extra for ala carte bread sticks and meat balls. I used to get 2 meatballs but it was too much. Now I just get 1 and I'm stuffed.

Luke
65l-503-37l6

Edit: I can't do this Monday, and likely not next. Dammit.... Running out of daylight. I still would like to do that loop, so maybe I'll still make a Sal's ride, just not on a Monday.

#109 User is offline   POE Icon

'17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

I messaged Petex though their eBay store. It doesn't appear they have a website of their own. I asked if they had anymore of this model in black (model name: Jah-A). They responded by saying they made some stock available (eBay said 6 were now available). So I put my order in. Should be here in less than 2 weeks from Thailand. Since this gloss black will not blend well with the OEM black, I plan on spraying it with a satin clear coat. The texture should be much closer to the OEM black.

View PostPOE, on 05 September 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Here's the lights I have considered. Black has been out of stock for a long time so I would likely have to paint them. I think I dig option 2.

Option 2

Posted Image

#110 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

View PostPOE, on 06 September 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

Since this gloss black will not blend well with the OEM black, I plan on spraying it with a satin clear coat. The texture should be much closer to the OEM black.

I'll take the time to go see that live when it gets done too. Let me know when/where. I'm loving all the Grom mod stuff. May need to find one to trash so I can leave the wife's alone.

#111 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:40 AM

View PostPOE, on 06 September 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Edit: I can't do this Monday, and likely not next. Dammit.... Running out of daylight. I still would like to do that loop, so maybe I'll still make a Sal's ride, just not on a Monday.

Toss me a text with 24 hour notice and I'll ride the Grom in and meet up whenever/wherever.

Later,
Kent Larson from Woodbury
sex 1 too ate 6 eight 3 for 1 fore

#112 User is offline   POE Icon

'17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

You should really make a Facebook account just for planning shit like this. Makes life easier.

#113 User is offline   sk8phreak88 Icon

• Horse Power is ADDICTING
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2014 Grom.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:02 PM

I'd definitely like to check it out with the 181 kit. Make any top speed runs yet? I would assume highway speeds (65-70) are no problem now?

#114 User is offline   POE Icon

'17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:15 AM

View Postsk8phreak88, on 06 September 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

I'd definitely like to check it out with the 181 kit. Make any top speed runs yet? I would assume highway speeds (65-70) are no problem now?

Not yet. I have been keeping it under 7500k most often and trying hard to keep it under 8000k max, and will do this for a while yet. But with short'ish -1/+1 gearing (the gearing I used on the 125 build) it is cruising VERY easily at 8000rpm/55mph. This should, supposedly, go 80+ with the right gearing. Right now, getting to 55mph is plenty fast and the torque on this little 181 is very nice.

#115 User is offline   CBR600F4i Icon

• Always Along For the Ride...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:CB1000R, SV650, CRF250R

Posted 08 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

Total build cost?

#116 User is offline   POE Icon

'17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

View PostCBR600F4i, on 08 September 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

Total build cost?

I once asked ZX10Archer how much dough he put into his ZX10R. That question was followed up by people saying that that is a question you just don't ask on a big project. I feel like this Grom has turned into a project like that.

But, the 181 kit was a hair over $1k. Then all the supporting mods like ARacer ECU with AF-1 O2 kit, pipe, intake, large throttle body and inlet, port job (I did this myself), oil cooler and case-breather-catch-can. And, of course, a boat load of time to strip, prep, build, break-in. This was my first build that went below the top end and into the case. There were a lot of delays to double/triple/quadruple check things and find info by deep diving into forums, google, and heaven forbid, facebook grom groups. Now that I've done it, I could cut the build time in half, I bet. There's 2 castle nuts that are a BITCH to remove without a tool to hold the clutch and flywheel still. So I drove to Excelsior to borrow my buddy's high torque Milwaukee Fuel M18 1/2" impact driver. That things is fucking awesome. I need to buy one. But they are not cheap!

Mr. E came out of retirement and hosted a Grom 'Midnight MIssion' (or 10pm Mission lol) on Friday night. We got into some small creek crossings and mud holes. Shit was EPIC. After rinsing the bike off with a hose at a gas station it's still really dirty. I found a big wad of mud in my bugle horn just this morning and had to laugh.

Posted Image

#117 User is offline   POE Icon

'17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:41 AM

Also, I put the 15t front sprocket on this weekend and it's great. Tons of power and the 10k limiter kicks in at 76mph.

Over 400 miles on the new build and over 300 of them were from Friday and Saturday.

#118 User is offline   POE Icon

'17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

P.S.

WHEELIES!!!

Posted Image

#119 User is offline   POE Icon

'17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted Today, 09:59 AM

Just a quick update to say that I'm still VERY pleased with this BBK. Hot Damn, this thing is fun! Had it out at DCTC on Saturday with only 500 miles on the clock. I got two full session in and it was a riot! I rode a bit on Sunday and now I'm at about 600 miles on the build.

There are a few of us that want to organize a reoccurring mid-week Grom (and other little bikes) event at DCTC next summer. We might work with RCP to see if he wants to help organize it. Since we can't "race" at DCTC, it would be track day style with, hopefully, race style 'sessions' with a start and finish, but not timed so it cannot be called 'racing'. There's some ideas floating around, but I think the majority want a supersport style class with stock displacement, basic intake, exhaust and fuel programmer engine mods only, and the usual stuff like suspension, clipons, rearsets etc. Makes me glad I have a stock Grom to work with.

Trouble with this is, Kyle Ohnsorg is pumped to participate. I used the 181 to get around him by a long shot on the straights, but I waited up for him to get about 4 or 5 bike lengths behind as we got to the end of the straight. That didn't stop him from BOMBING the first corner and showing me what corner speed is all about. I couldn't believe my eyes! KO is a seriously skilled rider. I need to learn from him. Thankfully, going back and for with him got my Grom speed up tremendously. Knees down all over the place. I still don't trust those little tires as much as I could. There are narrow chicken strips left still and I haven't scraped pegs (i have smaller/shorter CBR pegs on mine, fyi). The short wheel base just feels so sketchy on that rough track. Enough excuses! I thought I'd let you all know this is in the works and we want to raise awareness and get some participation for these events. Hopefully we can make it work.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users