Wtb Compact Suv

#16 User is offline   WillMill Icon

• Race Body Paint Guy
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:CBR600 YZ426F R3 KDX250 PE250

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

View Postcra_fizzer, on 20 March 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Stay away from the Chevy. They are known for tranny issues.

I dont know about the new model Acadias, but the older ones are some of the worst vehicles Ive ever seen come into the shop. They had all sorts of issues, from transmission to timing chains. And nothing on them is cheap or easy to repair.

#17 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that goes bwaaaAAAAAAAAA
  • Ride:1000rr Race. Jonahs old fiddy.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

Interesting listening to everyones opinion on this segment as we were looking in this category not to long ago. Man am I glad we went with our Kia sorento. AWD with a v6 that gets the same gas mileage as the foreign 4 cylinders. Plus we got all of the amenities that none of the smaller utes had. We got a heated steering wheel, panoramic moonroof, and a 3rd row.

Consumer reports rates the Sorento one of the most reliable SUVs and its sooo nice to have the extra room over an escape. My step mom has one and man that thing gets bad gas mileage and is tiny compared to the Sorento. You can find them in your price range too. Typically when they have low miles they are a little more expensive.
https://lasvegas.cra...6524320901.html

Here are local examples in your price range but have higher miles:
https://minneapolis....6521213638.html
https://minneapolis....6513165910.html

#18 User is offline   Udenberg Icon

• Start the Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:loud noises
  • Ride:couch

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

Personally having great luck with an older Toyota Highlander, 4cyl FWD, 190,000+ and drives like new. Also having great luck with previous model Honda Ridgeline. When the Highlander goes I could see looking into a Pilot or another Ridgeline potentially.

#19 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:30 PM

View Postsininja, on 16 March 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

I loved my 17 forester, hauled my 2 snowmobiles up north while still getting 18mpg. if I didn't need a truck I'd still have it. CVT was fine, hand calculated 33mpg in the summer with the a.c. on and elevated freeway speeds. I could easily get more at 70mph without a.c. my friend bought same year rav4 without awd and just matched my mpg. forester had superior off road chops, and awesome view from the inside. rav4 had a more trendy interior that chicks seem to like.

You loved it? How is this possible? How is it possible that we both enjoy the "fun" of motorcycles, but you think a forester is fun???? I've never driven a more mind numbing boring vehicle. I rented a new one in San Francisco and wanted to kill myself the entire time. The tranny just droned and the boxer engine had 0 personality.

Sooo my neighbor bought an 18' and raved about it so I went and drove it with him. Yep, hated it. How in the world he could spend 35k on a new gay forester, but pass on a Sorento with more room, more features, 6 speed tranny, and 10 to 15k more money, just blows my mind.

In the foresters defense it does have great visibility, decent gas mileage, and AWD standard, but good god its gayer than cum on a mustache.

#20 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:58 AM

View Postmike4king, on 16 March 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

Sold the wife's Corolla and looking at our options for a compact SUV for her. Open to suggestions/opinions from anyone that has owned one or done some research.

Started by looking at/driving the Toyota Rav4, Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, and Ford Escape. Didn't look at Hyundai, Kia, or Chevy.

Pretty much down to either the Rav4 or Escape. Hard requirements are 4-cylinder and AWD. Other preferences are 2013+, under 60k miles, and roughly $15-18k. Ready to pay cash as soon as we find the right deal. I'm a big fan of Toyota but they're really getting premium pricing right now. Ford Escape with the upgraded 2.0 Ecoboost feels pretty good (some of which come with a towing package capable of 3500 lbs, which would be nice for a 5x8 to get my bike to the track).

I already ranted a little on this thread lol, but here is my take on the ones you mentioned since we drove all of them and decided on the Sorento. Remember to test fit a baby seat in the back. Whats nice about the Sorento is the rear seats recline so I can put the baby seat behind me the driver and still be comfortable with the front seat all the way back.

Rav4: Thought it drove nice, kinda vanilla. Didn't care for the weird interior that made my really tall ass feel kinda weird. They were priced high so we passed.

CRV: This was our 2nd choice. We actually didn't hate the CVT in it. But it didn't have half the features of the Sorento.

Nissan Rogue: Felt Cheap. We looked at the mitsubishi SUVs and put them in the same category as Nissan. Cheap, boring, and hated the CVT.

Ford Escape: Small, kinda peppy, good looking. Considered it but thought it may be to small. Couldn't fit a baby seat behind the front seat without the front seat kissing the dash.

Jeep Grand Cherokee: Wish we could do this, but wow there is no room in the rear seat which is weird cause its huge, and man its expensive. But wow we really liked driving it. Drove like a big badass truck.

There are so many vehicles now in your segment that its exhausting. But I would tell you to get something bigger. You'll regret it getting something so small.

Here is a fun option I would tell you to consider. Its a complete curve ball, but look at the price on these things. All wheel drive, MASSAGING SEATS WHAAAAAAAAAAA, yea dude the new genesis g70 and g90 are going for over 80k new. You can steal these ones that are just a couple years old, and they are easily compared to Lexus/Mercedes. Plus consumer reports and Car n Driver rate them super high with great reliability. This one is higher miles, but i've seen them with super low miles for less than 20k. Crazy awesome deal.
https://minneapolis....6515891936.html

#21 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2003 600rr track, 2012 V-Star1300 street

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

View PostMarls, on 21 March 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

There are so many vehicles now in your segment that its exhausting. But I would tell you to get something bigger. You'll regret it getting something so small.

You might have been right, except that it was for my wife and she does NOT need anything bigger than an Escape. Especially since she spends a lot of time driving downtown and is a little bit of a crazy driver sometimes.

And the baby seat fits just fine (behind the passenger seat, and the rear seat backs do recline in the Escape).

#22 User is offline   sininja Icon

• Foxbody lover.
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:Concours14 Honda Xr88 Zuma

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

Marls I loved it as a daily because of the mpg, utility, and comfort. It was only $23k new and I still don't think there's anything that can do all it does for the money. I have have snowmobiles/cycles/mustang for having fun

#23 User is offline   sininja Icon

• Foxbody lover.
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:Concours14 Honda Xr88 Zuma

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:54 AM

keep in mind cvt don't respond to full throttle like a snowmobile does. I could easily outrun rav4 and crv if I started at 1/2 throttle and easing into it from there.

#24 User is offline   Vrooom Icon

• Its coming rite at me!!!!!!
  • Ride:sold !2012 Gsxr 750,sold!2011 Ninja 1000 Sport tour thang"sold" ,09 Ktm 690 SMC Vrooom Vrooom!!! 06 Red GSXR 750 Sold!!!, 11 YzF 450 SuperTard/Mx

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:05 AM

View Postsininja, on 21 March 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

keep in mind cvt don't respond to full throttle like a snowmobile does. I could easily outrun rav4 and crv if I started at 1/2 throttle and easing into it from there.

I know its not the SUV I had a 2013 Nissan alitma it got high 30's mpg but with the CVT was the most boring thing to drive. It was my first CVT didn't realize how smooth they were. Crashed it and now I'm in a Subaru legacy Non-turbo which also has the CVT but it has a lot more personality. Rode in a Forster for awhile and i didn't like how high above the dash I felt im 6'2"ish

#25 User is offline   crakerjac Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newb

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

View PostMarls, on 20 March 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

You loved it? How is this possible? How is it possible that we both enjoy the "fun" of motorcycles, but you think a forester is fun???? I've never driven a more mind numbing boring vehicle. I rented a new one in San Francisco and wanted to kill myself the entire time. The tranny just droned and the boxer engine had 0 personality.

Sooo my neighbor bought an 18' and raved about it so I went and drove it with him. Yep, hated it. How in the world he could spend 35k on a new gay forester, but pass on a Sorento with more room, more features, 6 speed tranny, and 10 to 15k more money, just blows my mind.

In the foresters defense it does have great visibility, decent gas mileage, and AWD standard, but good god its gayer than cum on a mustache.

Interesting take. I'm thinking about a Forester because it's one of the few you can get AWD and a manual transmission. The AWD, manual transmission and lack of annoying/nanny safety 'features', make my Honda Element kinda fun to drive. Quickest way to make ANY car boring to drive is slapping an automatic in it.

#26 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2007 Kawasaki ZZR600

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

View Postmike4king, on 21 March 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

You might have been right, except that it was for my wife and she does NOT need anything bigger than an Escape. Especially since she spends a lot of time driving downtown and is a little bit of a crazy driver sometimes.

And the baby seat fits just fine (behind the passenger seat, and the rear seat backs do recline in the Escape).

I think he forgets hes 8' tall.

#27 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

View Postcrakerjac, on 21 March 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

Interesting take. I'm thinking about a Forester because it's one of the few you can get AWD and a manual transmission. The AWD, manual transmission and lack of annoying/nanny safety 'features', make my Honda Element kinda fun to drive. Quickest way to make ANY car boring to drive is slapping an automatic in it.

I would think a manual forester would be leaps and bounds more fun to drive. I haven't driven one of those.

View PostZZR Joel, on 21 March 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

I think he forgets hes 8' tall.

heh. I think you mention earlier how you both figure you'll buy something bigger later. I think that is an awful idea. Just think, if she got something just a tad bigger, that she won't be able to tell from driving it, then you wouldn't have to get something bigger and more gay than the escape!

#28 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostMarls, on 21 March 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

heh. I think you mention earlier how you both figure you'll buy something bigger later. I think that is an awful idea. Just think, if she got something just a tad bigger, that she won't be able to tell from driving it, then you wouldn't have to get something bigger and more gay than the escape!

We'll buy something bigger later when we need something bigger, but right now we don't. I drive a full-size car, and the Escape will handle everything we need. Once we have another kid, things will change, but no reason to spend the extra $10k now for something bigger (and as mentioned, I don't want her driving a mid/full-size SUV, especially not while she works downtown).

#29 User is offline   ripperd Icon

• aka Dean
  • Interests:snowmobiles, bikes
  • Ride:08 WR250X/R, Kymco 125, CRF50

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

I forget how old your kid is from your posts. Are you still using the infant carrier?

They take up far less room than the rear facing carseats you need once they outgrow the infant carrier...

#30 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

Not sure if you're asking me or Marls but I believe they're pretty close to the same age. Mine is just under a year.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users