#1 User is offline   Madchild Icon

• Cheng's Dynasty Racing in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Interests:Alliance Jiu Jitsu
  • Ride:'07 Aprilia SR50 Factory,

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

DCTC
I’m trying to get those of you who are new to DCTC (ridingcourse.com or HE or ZARS) or other trackdays around the region ready before you show up at the event.

This guide is gathered from my experience by being a instructor at DCTC (ridingcourse.com). I can’t say the same for the other track day organization because I have little or no experience on the other side of the table. I’m sure there are a lot of the things that are similar and can be apply towards other track day/defensive riding organizations as well.

Over the years people have asked the same questions over and over. What should I bring? Who should I bring? What tire pressure should be set at? And so forth.

I’ve been helping out with Steve’s DCTC for a year now and every morning we have newbies struggling to get ready to go out for our first session. If you come prepared you would not be losing any track time/instruction time.

Here's a few key elements you should do or have before you show up.
1. Leave your ego at home. DCTC or Track days is no place for you to show people how fast you can go, because no one cares. (if you want prove this race with CRA, CCS, WERA). Especially at DCTC, we are very privilege to have the college let us use the course. We don’t need an ambulance to show up every other session. PLEASE DON’T ABUSE THIS PRIVILEGE.

2. Get a good night sleep. You need to be physically and mentally prepared to ride. Physically, DCTC is a very technical course and you need all the rest you can get the night before. Mentally, riding a motorcycle is can be mentally challenging. There are a lot of things going on while you’re doing laps around the track and practicing the techniques you learned from the classroom session . You’re also controlling a rocket ship that can seriously injure you in a matter of seconds. Also you need to absorb the material that is presented to you in the classroom session.

3. Hydration – this is very important when you’re riding. Water makes up a large percent of the fluids in your body. On a hot summer day and riding at a course like DCTC will take a lot out of you. We don’t want you to cramp up in the middle of the day and miss a session or two.

4. Food – pack a small light lunch and snacks in between session. Something that will give you energy (I.E: nutrient grain bar, deli sandwhich). I highly recommend that you do not run to a fast food place on your lunch break. It will only make you lazy/sloppy with your skills and tried faster.

5. Gear – I highly recommend that you have a decent pair of race boot, 1 or 2 piece leather, full length glove, and a full face helmet. If you don’t have one, please try to borrow one. I really hate seeing newbies going down on their brand new Yamaha R1 and get a bunch of road rash on their body. SWEAT WHIPS, ROAD RASH DOESN’T.
MOTORCYCLE – have it ready the night before. Make sure it’s not leaking any fluid. If you are leaking any type of fluid please fix it before you show up. If you’re the result of someone crashing. You’re going to have a lot of angry people. Set your PSI. If you’re on race tires (you should talk to 2k, Darren, or Rob at Lithium before the event). Generally speaking on an ideal day. 30-32 front, 28-30 rear on street dots. I have a tire gauge. So you can check it before the event begins, but please show early if you plan to do this.

6. SHOW UP EARLY

FOR YOU VETS, if you have any other input please feeling for to post time. I’ll add them to the original post.

#2 User is offline   mr_e Icon

• Hooligan
  • Interests:Freelance Gynecology.
  • Ride:Tarded

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

Good post Cheng!

...It's even mostly in english

#3 User is offline   hon 929 Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • Pip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:2001 929

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

View Postmr_e, on Mar 27 2009, 12:35 PM, said:

Good post Cheng!

if it is going to be nice out make sure to bring lots of fluids and maybe a canopy if you have one you will need it

#4 User is offline   Aprilian Icon

• Caution, Race Track Ahead!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Helping people who run out of talent before they run out of horsepower!
  • Ride:Street Triple R

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

Be sure to make friends with other participants (particularly the ones with tools, shade, BBQ, etc. - Hi Uncle Bob!)

#5 User is offline   Madchild Icon

• Cheng's Dynasty Racing in the making
  • Interests:Alliance Jiu Jitsu
  • Ride:'07 Aprilia SR50 Factory,

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

View Posthon 929, on Mar 27 2009, 12:43 PM, said:

if it is going to be nice out make sure to bring lots of fluids and maybe a canopy if you have one you will need it

You don't need to have one because just stop by Nick's pit and "steal" some cookies. :popcorn:

#6 User is offline   Thor Icon

• If You Seek A You
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

Good post Cheng!

Even though it is a college, there will be no spelling test.  Just be "prepered.""

#7 User is offline   rochambo Icon

• Portrait of the artist as a fucking asshole
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Killing cops and reading Kerouac...
  • Ride:grom

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

If you can find a way to haul (truck or trailer) your bike and gear out there, do it. It makes the ride home so much better after a long day of riding.

#8 User is offline   Blue By U Icon

• NOOOOOO! I will never edit this
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

Who's having the tent this year?

By the way, I crashed last year at HE because I was tired but I kept on going and lost focus.

#9 User is offline   Señor C Icon

• se habla español

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

Good post Cheng!

not again !!!

#10 User is offline   nraforevr Icon

• Golems. I build golems.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Torturing metaphors
  • Ride:Viffer, fiddy

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

View PostBlue By U, on Mar 27 2009, 01:06 PM, said:

By the way, I crashed last year at HE because I was tired but I kept on going and lost focus.

GOOD POINT.

The track is tight enough that you can get a bit of vertigo going round and round and round. Plus, 17 turns in 8/10 of a mile can be exhausting.

Pay close attention to your awareness level and focus. If you notice yourself making surprise judgment/timing errors, pull off and catch your breath, and refocus.

Also: TAKE IT EASY right after lunch. Your tummy's full and you've been off the bike for a longish period of time. You have to build back up to the level you were riding at in the a.m. At HE, we see a lot of crashes in the first session after lunch. Cold tires, cold brains.

P

#11 User is offline   sifuquoc Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'09 madass 50

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

View Postnraforevr, on Mar 27 2009, 01:32 PM, said:

GOOD POINT.

The track is tight enough that you can get a bit of vertigo going round and round and round. Plus, 17 turns in 8/10 of a mile can be exhausting.

Pay close attention to your awareness level and focus. If you notice yourself making surprise judgment/timing errors, pull off and catch your breath, and refocus.

Also: TAKE IT EASY right after lunch. Your tummy's full and you've been off the bike for a longish period of time. You have to build back up to the level you were riding at in the a.m. At HE, we see a lot of crashes in the first session after lunch. Cold tires, cold brains.

P

+1!!!,

I learned from Pat and crew last year, that exhaustion leads to sloppiness... I'm really glad he stopped me to talk after i pulled off after running into traffic...

#12 User is offline   voss555 Icon

• Fan$y
  • Interests:Domination
  • Ride:#21

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

View PostMadchild, on Mar 27 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

DCTC
1. Leave your ego at home. DCTC or Track days is no place for you to show people how fast you can go, because no one cares.

+1

Thanks Darren-

Figuring out you how much you suck is great! It's the living with it daily part that's hard...

#13 User is offline   calpal Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Ride:'07 GSX-R 600

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Good post, thanks! I'm heading to DCTC for Hedonistic-Enthusiasm this year and cant wait!! One question: Do we need to tape our lights and mirrors?

#14 User is offline   Spooling Icon

• Here gopher!
  • Ride:2000 Mille / 2002 XR-50 / 2007 SV Race

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

View PostMadchild, on Mar 27 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

2. Get a good night sleep. You need to be physically and mentally prepared to ride. Physically, DCTC is a very technical course and you need all the rest you can get the night before. Mentally, riding a motorcycle is can be mentally challenging. There are a lot of things going on while you’re doing laps around the track and practicing the techniques you learned from the classroom session . You’re also controlling a rocket ship that can seriously injure you in a matter of seconds. Also you need to absorb the material that is presented to you in the classroom session.

Start doing squats and quad work now people! DCTC will make your legs feel like jello by afternoon if you aren't in shape.

#15 User is offline   nraforevr Icon

• Golems. I build golems.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Torturing metaphors
  • Ride:Viffer, fiddy

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

View Postcalpal, on Mar 27 2009, 01:54 PM, said:

Good post, thanks! I'm heading to DCTC for Hedonistic-Enthusiasm this year and cant wait!! One question: Do we need to tape our lights and mirrors?

Not for HE.

P

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users