• You cannot reply to this topic

Spring and Fall riding gear

#1 User is offline   CBR600F4i Icon

• Always Along For the Ride...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:Super duke, SV650, Grom

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

Thinking about trying to make my riding season start earlier and end later. I have no interest in adding heated grips to my bike.

First approach is to get better riding gear and wear a neck gator.

Jacket:
https://www.sportbik...product-reviews

Gloves:
https://www.sportbik...tempest-gloves/

What do you guys have for cold weather gear? Any other tips or tricks?

#2 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'17 Supersport, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '10 WR250R

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:36 AM

Too bad you donít want to add heated grips, itís the single biggest thing that made riding in under 45 degrees comfortable to me. Itís the first thing Iíve added to the last 4 or 5 bikes and run them a lot more than I ever thought I would.

I did 450 backroad miles in Tennessee and North Carolina over two days this fall with the temperature hovering in the 50s in the lower areas, high 30s and low 40s at ďaltitudeĒ and ran my Ducatiís heated grips on high, Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 jacket with the liner in and all vents closed, Dragginí brand jeans and a pair of Alpinestars low boots. I was chilly at times, should have had one more layer on and covered my neck a bit, but was solid otherwise. When I had snowmobiles I used a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket I had and stayed quite warm in that so thatís a good option as well.

I planned to get heated gear this winter but a bunch of other crap came up and I just never got around to it but they say thatís a game changer.

#3 User is offline   antimatter Icon

• Rodent of Unusual Size
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Shooting, Guitar
  • Ride:2013 Burgman 650, 2014 Kawi ZX-6R

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:33 AM

Heated gear is a game changer. It really makes spring and fall riding a joy as opposed to a chore. Another benefit is that heated gear will generally pack fairly small, so you can include it on longer trips. And that's handy when you're tired, or when an early morning or late night has cooler weather. I know lots of folks like heated grips, but I much prefer heated gloves as they can be used on multiple bikes (which is hard to do with the grips). Pretty much all my bikes have a pigtail connector on the battery, which can double as the leads for a trickle charger. I actually have an original Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves, both of which function as wind stoppers and I wear when the temps are below 60 F. I don't have to plug stuff in until temps get to around 45F (I don't ride under 32 F unless I have to). Of all the bike accessories and mods I've had/done over the years, heated gear ranks in the top two - tied with getting your suspension set-up properly - that makes motorcycle riding more enjoyable. If you're on the fence, let me encourage you to get a set.

#4 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

I ride with Klim jacket, bibs, boots, gloves and find it comfortable down to about 20F and tolerable to about 10F. That also includes a balaclava and anti-fog insert in the helmet. Below 10 I add plug-in heated glove liners or stick a chemical heater in the gloves. My ride to work is 30-35 minutes. I find it worth the time to bundle up a bit to ride. I'm in a much better mood when I get to ride.

#5 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• Deer Whisperer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Riding fuel injected, liquid-cooled, 2 wheeled motorbikes.
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. '14 Yamaha Zuma 125. '18 Yamaha YZ250FX. '08 Yamaha WR250X. '20 Kawasaki KLX110L.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

Heated gear is where it's at. Gerbings is what I have. Heated grips help but that does nothing for the top side of your hands where the wind blows.
I have the gloves and vest with a dual controller.
I see no point in the pants and socks as there are great smart wool options.
Besides, I never need heated gear for riding my snowmobiles. And I do that below zero.

https://www.thewarmi...hing-store.html

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users