• You cannot reply to this topic

Yoga

#1 User is offline   CBR600F4i Icon

• Always Along For the Ride...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:CB1000R, SV650, CRF250R

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:42 AM

I know I will probably be flogged for this but I think it is beneficial to hear what other people do.

I have recently started doing Yoga to prepare for the up coming track season. As I have gotten into my thirties I have learned I am as flexible as a 2x4 that does not work well for moving around on the bike. Yoga for me works on strengthening, stretching and balance. If you donít think yoga is hard give it a go at your local Y.

What are you doing this winter to prepare for the up coming season besides talking shit on the internet and drinking beer?

#2 User is offline   Jim Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:44 AM

I think yoga is fantastic! The older you get, the more you will appreciate it. It's something you can do your entire life.

Every morning I do a mile on a NordicTrack, mostly to limber up my shoulders. If I'm not downhill skiing or riding off-road that day, I'll walk 3 miles. Every evening I'll do 30 minutes of yoga. Those three things are about as much as I can stand to do. They only slow the inevitable downhill slide. I should be doing more, but I'm in better shape than most of my peers.

#3 User is offline   re tired Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Rukus, 09 Ultra Classic, 2015 FZ 07

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:23 AM

In addition to my beer and Internet banter regime I took a job as playground supervisor at an elementary school. 1000 4th and 5th graders for 3 hours/day, kicks my azz.

I also try yoga but arthritis makes it diifficult, thanks to guys like Jim I keep poking along tho.

#4 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

If anyone is close to the Shoreview YMCA, I'll be going there for yoga and other group fitness classes that will help flexibility and strength. I'm not just doing yoga for my physical therapy, but for overall health and fitness too. I also go to the Lino Lakes Y once in a while.

#5 User is offline   Tyykila731 Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:2014 CBR600RR

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:30 PM

I also do yoga most days. A got a pad and just do it at home. Lots of youtube channels to help you along.

#6 User is online   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

Having done a variation of Yoga now for a week or so, the thing that is hardest for me is my overall flexibility and more specifically, my wrist flexibility.

At first I thought my wrists just needed strength, then the instructor noted it's probably lacking flexibility which makes more sense. Putting my arm straight out I can't bend my wrist up 90 degrees, which explains why they hurt doing planks/pushups.

#7 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostChamp, on 10 January 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

Having done a variation of Yoga now for a week or so, the thing that is hardest for me is my overall flexibility and more specifically, my wrist flexibility.

At first I thought my wrists just needed strength, then the instructor noted it's probably lacking flexibility which makes more sense. Putting my arm straight out I can't bend my wrist up 90 degrees, which explains why they hurt doing planks/pushups.

My wrists are the same. I have to do pushups/planks on my knuckles. People see that and are like "Whoa, badass doing knuckle pushups over here!" Well, they are right, but not because I'm doing pushups on my knuckles.

#8 User is offline   Jim Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:06 AM

View PostChamp, on 10 January 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

Having done a variation of Yoga now for a week or so....

New Years resolution?

I'm certainly no expert, but strength training (which shortens muscle fibers) is the exact opposite of flexibility training (which lengthens muscle fibers).

I took a yoga class at the Y maybe 10 years ago. It was very intense. Just doing my own thing at home has allowed me to stick with it all these years.

#9 User is online   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 11 January 2019 - 07:06 AM, said:

New Years resolution?

Kind of? Like so many people, Katie and I have been saying we need to start working out again (in whatever form that takes) and I'm sure New Years played a part in being a catalyst.

So often we'd try other workouts and have difficulty sticking to them as they were usually 45-60 minutes and higher intensity. For our life logistics, this made it tough as usually the time we get to workout is in the nights after the kids go to sleep. Personally, I have a super tough time falling asleep if I've just worked out 1-2 hours previously.

Now this Yoga we've started is shorter duration (20-30min) and is less intense. My theory here is I'd rather do these small workouts and not feel bad for missing some here or there, than try to commit to a larger scale program and end up burning out and just not doing anything.

I don't need to be in the shape that you see in the Bowflex ads, but I'd like to have better posture, able to get socks on, not be sore all the time, etc.

#10 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that goes bwaaaAAAAAAAAA
  • Ride:1000rr Race. Jonahs old fiddy.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:09 AM

View PostChamp, on 11 January 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Kind of? Like so many people, Katie and I have been saying we need to start working out again (in whatever form that takes) and I'm sure New Years played a part in being a catalyst.

So often we'd try other workouts and have difficulty sticking to them as they were usually 45-60 minutes and higher intensity. For our life logistics, this made it tough as usually the time we get to workout is in the nights after the kids go to sleep. Personally, I have a super tough time falling asleep if I've just worked out 1-2 hours previously.

Now this Yoga we've started is shorter duration (20-30min) and is less intense. My theory here is I'd rather do these small workouts and not feel bad for missing some here or there, than try to commit to a larger scale program and end up burning out and just not doing anything.

I don't need to be in the shape that you see in the Bowflex ads, but I'd like to have better posture, able to get socks on, not be sore all the time, etc.

I had this same issue. I couldn't work out after we put our son down then try to sleep before midnight. And hes up right away at 6am. So yep I get up at quarter to 5 every day and go lift. Then if I have time before he wakes up, like today I got home at just after 6am I take Sully for a run. Then for the first 15 minutes of just getting Bennett out of bed I stretch, but man stretching is so much easier with Yoga. Its too easy to slack on it without someone telling you what to do.

Either way good for everyone trying to get back in to it. Its amazing how much better I feel when I eat cleanly, go to bed early, and lift some weights.

#11 User is offline   Katie Icon

• Ride:00 SV650 Race

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

View PostMarls, on 12 January 2019 - 12:09 AM, said:

I had this same issue. I couldn't work out after we put our son down then try to sleep before midnight. And hes up right away at 6am. So yep I get up at quarter to 5 every day and go lift. Then if I have time before he wakes up, like today I got home at just after 6am I take Sully for a run. Then for the first 15 minutes of just getting Bennett out of bed I stretch, but man stretching is so much easier with Yoga. Its too easy to slack on it without someone telling you what to do.

Either way good for everyone trying to get back in to it. Its amazing how much better I feel when I eat cleanly, go to bed early, and lift some weights.

Much easier to do this with a baby/toddler than 2 active kids! We have kids activities every night of the week and our daughter figure skates a few mornings a week before school. The time we had with babies and toddlers was a luxury compared to now! Lol!

#12 User is offline   Tyykila731 Icon

• Pip
  • Ride:2014 CBR600RR

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:24 PM

View PostKatie, on 12 January 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

Much easier to do this with a baby/toddler than 2 active kids! We have kids activities every night of the week and our daughter figure skates a few mornings a week before school. The time we had with babies and toddlers was a luxury compared to now! Lol!

I've got a 6 month old and a 2.5 year old. Not the news I want to read, it's almost 1030 and i finally just sat down. Its supposed to get easier.

#13 User is offline   Katie Icon

• Ride:00 SV650 Race

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

View PostTyykila731, on 12 January 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

I've got a 6 month old and a 2.5 year old. Not the news I want to read, it's almost 1030 and i finally just sat down. Its supposed to get easier.

Itís much easier to care for them as they get older! They are far more independent. But they are busy. Our kids are 5 and 7. Both play multiple sports multiple times a week. We have activities before school many days and after school every day. Our time is spent driving kids around. I LOVE every minute of it! But it does mean less time for myself. If our kids didnít do sports and activities, it would be completely different. Itís awesome though and kids get more and more amazing as they grow up :)

#14 User is offline   motochanik Icon

• PipPip

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

Yoga makes my brain happy.

If your wrists hurt, I found it helps if I make my fingertips grip a bit.

#15 User is online   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

Then what do I do when my fingertips hurt?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users