MNSBR: St. Paul To Duluth -- Any Good Roads? - MNSBR

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

St. Paul To Duluth -- Any Good Roads?

#1 User is offline   wotan Icon

• Shot out of a cannon > squeezed out of a tube.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:Aprilia RSV

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Headed up to Duluth on the bike this weekend. Going to take my time getting there and back and wondering if anyone knows and roads or routes that should be hit....

#2 User is offline   RCKT GRL Icon

• One & only
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:horses, bikes, boats
  • Ride:2013 GSX-R750 - Martini edition

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

35 out of Hudson looks pretty decent for your trip up and back. Once in Duluth, a drive up the north shore to Hwy 1 is scenic and right along the shoreline.

Hwy 1 to Ely and back is also a pretty good stretch, although the road in some areas on a sportbike will have you longing for some smooth pavement. If you plan to stop and smell the roses, be sure to pack some bug spray as the mosquitos in the Superior National Forest have been known to drag unsuspecting people off into the bushes. :blink:

I'd say a drive thru Jay Cooke would be in order, but after the floods last month, I think it's going to be quite a while before that particular stretch of road is going to passable. :(

Depending on how much time you have, continuing up the North Shore with stops at Gooseberry Falls, Split Rock Lighthouse, Grand Mariais and others is nice as well.

Last year was my first year up there since I was a kid. Those were the places that I went to and I had a great time.

good luck, have fun!

#3 User is offline   wotan Icon

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the tips!

I did Jay Cooke before it was repaved and swore I would never do it again. I'm sure it was a great road once they repaved it but it was a complete nightmare before that. I bet downtown Baghdad has better roads. I also figured that it's a slow road, in a state park, with a lot of people everywhere. With new pavement it would be 60mph twisties and with all of the nature lovers I just wouldn't feel right racing through there.

Highway 35 is a nice road but not many places where you can open it up. It's busy and has a lot of cops. We'll probably head through New Richmond, up 65 and then go explore for the day. My girlfriends family is up in Duluth so we've got to put in some facetime and then see if we have time to head North for a bit before we come back on Sunday.

#4 User is offline   JVS Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

View Postwotan, on 26 July 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Highway 35 is a nice road

wait what? Not quite my idea of a "nice road" lol

Once you get past sandstone, 23 is a decent stretch of road that will get you off 35. Nothing too exciting but it gets you away from the traffic and allows you to just enjoy the ride.

Jay Cooke is awesome with surprisingly low traffic but as Denyse said, it's probably all messed up from flooding. I'd definitely check it out though and atleast see if it's rideable. Even if you cant rip through there, it still has some of the best scenery in the state.

I'd also take a look at the aerostitch warehouse while your up there too. It's a kinda fun place to look around and maybe grab a few stickers and shirts or something (there is a shirt you can only buy at the warehouse that says you rode there).

If your gps had a no freeways route calculator id definitely go that route (pun intended).

Obviously prepare for the weather up there too, Duluth is pretty bipolar when it comes to temperatures and rain.

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   wotan Icon

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostJVS, on 26 July 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

wait what? Not quite my idea of a "nice road" lol

HWY 35 -- Not Interstate 35. ;)

I went and planned out a nice 300 mile ride... Found some old routes that I have done and put in some of the highlights. The first half of the day will be pretty boring but it should be nice to get back up towards Bayfield.

http://www.mapmyride.../view/117623703

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users