• You cannot reply to this topic

Learning The Rear Brake

#1 User is offline   JVS Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

Can anyone give me some tips on learning how to actually use the rear brake instead of just trying to put my feet down when ever I hit balance point and feel like it's gonna flip backwards?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   NorthStar Icon

• Ph.D in Braapanomics
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:2 Wheels, and trouble.
  • Ride:Wheelies

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

consistency is accuracy. Until you get the balance point down, wheelie the same way at the same speed/gear. This eliminates the dynamic nature of the balance point. Once you do that, take it slow and use reference points unit you can get it to where you have a fixed visual point to use the engine/rear brake.

For example, when I was learning I worked my way up to keeping my handle bars on the horizon when I sat down, any higher I used engine braking, last resort I squeezed the rear brake.

#3 User is offline   C3L1CA Icon

• PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'12 ZX10R, '09 Warrior, '01 yz250, '14 SSR 125

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

I've read it helps to make it a habit is to start doing small wheelies and bring them down with the rear brake until you get used to using it. Then once it feels more comfortable you can try and keep going higher and higher until you find bp

#4 User is offline   JVS Icon

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:42 AM

Thanks guys that helps. It seems like the hardest part is just the habit of using it. On bmx bikes I would always just put my feet down if I was going back too far and now unfortunately that habit is carrying over to riding.

I'll give it a shot to try using it with smaller wheelies. I think it might help too if I had someone take a pic or video of me so I could see that I'm not going back near as far as it feels like I am. 1in off the ground feels like 2 feet when your wheelieing lol

#5 User is offline   JVS Icon

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hey Alex once it warms up, let's go do a lot session. I could really use some tips

#6 User is offline   CelestialProduct Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Ride:00 Monster 900ie, 03 shadow 750

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'm a newb with wheelies and would like to learn as well. In for said lot session for pro tips.

Bitches love wheelies

#7 User is offline   Vader Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Ride:GSX-R750

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Can clutch up in 1st but never in second, part of the reason why I might do a gearing change. Yeah I know, sounds kind of squidish, but I'd like to give the front wheel a break every once in a while. Sorry to hijack this thread, but it got me thinking about wheelies.

#8 User is offline   JVS Icon

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Stunt day 2014

#9 User is offline   JVS Icon

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

Just spent a few hours on the pitbike last night and worked on some wheelies, stoppies and rolling burn outs.

I noticed it is a lot easier to use the rear brake the closer you are to balance point. Seems like everything moves so much smoother and slower. I did a few last night where I purposely popped them up too far and dropped it down with the brake and man it don't take much. lol. First one slammed hard.

#10 User is offline   JVS Icon

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

I also noticed my front brake fades pretty easily once it warms up. I think I will need totally new fluid. After maybe 5 stoppies the lever just has no bite to it at all.

#11 User is offline   NorthStar Icon

• Ph.D in Braapanomics
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

You can clutch it up in second: stab the rear brake right before you clutch.

JVS: you are using the brake to hard. Stab the rear to load the front tire. Add front brake pressure, preload the rear. Try not to add any pressure to the front brake once it starts to come up. If you need to get the rear higher, start the info over and add more pressure at the beggining.

#12 User is offline   JVS Icon

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostNorthStar, on 14 March 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

You can clutch it up in second: stab the rear brake right before you clutch.

JVS: you are using the brake to hard. Stab the rear to load the front tire. Add front brake pressure, preload the rear. Try not to add any pressure to the front brake once it starts to come up. If you need to get the rear higher, start the info over and add more pressure at the beggining.

I've tried the rear brake trick in second with no luck. I went from a 14t front sprocket to a 16t to lower the rpms for street riding, so now wheelies are a lot harder in higher gears.

So your saying to use the rear brake to help load the front up and then pull the front brake for a stoppie? :hmm2:

#13 User is offline   R1ON1 Icon

• Ya I tightened the oil plug
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2000 R1; CRF Fiddy; 2001 F4i

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

View PostJVS, on 14 March 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

I also noticed my front brake fades pretty easily once it warms up. I think I will need totally new fluid. After maybe 5 stoppies the lever just has no bite to it at all.

Also use a higher DOT value. Another thing with doing alot of stoppies is as the temp of the fluid goes up the rubber lines get softer. Allowing them to bulge. Had this problem, switched to steel lines and it went away.

#14 User is offline   JVS Icon

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostR1ON1, on 14 March 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

Also use a higher DOT value. Another thing with doing alot of stoppies is as the temp of the fluid goes up the rubber lines get softer. Allowing them to bulge. Had this problem, switched to steel lines and it went away.

I have steel lines that came with the bike. Not sure if they are quality lines though.

I will try a fluid flush when I get a chance and see what happens. Thanks buddy

#15 User is offline   NorthStar Icon

• Ph.D in Braapanomics
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostJVS, on 14 March 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

I've tried the rear brake trick in second with no luck. I went from a 14t front sprocket to a 16t to lower the rpms for street riding, so now wheelies are a lot harder in higher gears.

So your saying to use the rear brake to help load the front up and then pull the front brake for a stoppie? :hmm2:

As long as you are sitting back and in the meaty revs, I have a hard time believing your liter bike can't wheelie in second. My 1098 would torque in up in second with no preloading.

The reason you load the front with the rear before you add front brake pressure is so you can add a greater amount of brake pressure with the front right away and not worry about it locking up. Since there is no safety measure with stoppies, you should never increase brake pressure while in a stoppie. You have to learn the proper initial pressure, prelod the rear, and slowly back off the pressure until the balance point is achieved.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users