Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2001 R6 Electrical Problems

#1 User is offline   Quin Icon

• Group: Newb
  • Ride:2001 r6

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

Bought a 2001 Yamaha R6 earlier this year. I am looking for any advice or ideas in regards to my bike problems. I had it out a few times before I noticed the battery was overheating. My low beams went out while I was riding, then a couple days later my high beams went out. After that I bought a new battery, headlights, and replaced the main fuse thinking that maybe this all happened from jumping my bike with a car. Checked the volts on the new battery and it sits right around 12.6-12.8. I turned the bike on to get a read while its revved a little bit and it was super high like 19.5. I checked out the rectifier/regulator and the thing was fried. Bought a new one and after splicing some wires got it put back on. Seemed to be running great. Volts were sitting were they should be right around 14-14.5. Rode it around a few times probably a total of around 60-80 miles. Yesterday I drove it downtown Minneapolis to my buddies and right as I was pulling into his driveway I thought I noticed my speedo and dash lights flicker. rode it around the block and it flickered a few more times. Pulled it back into my buddies driveway waited about 20 minutes and went back out to start it. When I tried to start it, the battery was to weak to fully crank it and then just started clicking and would not even try to turn it over. my dash lights and headlights still come on when I turn the key, possibly slightly dimmer then usual (cant really tell). Any ideas what could possible be going on??? I was thinking maybe the stator? but electrical is certainly not my area of expertise! Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR street
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Check wires, especially around any moving parts. If a wire shield is broken, you could be grounding out somewhere causing battery drain or bad feedback through the system. I'm imagining around the steering head where a wire could get smashed in the the steering lock if it's not ran through that space correctly. Check ground wires to make sure none have broke off.

I'm definitely not a electrician, but those was my first thoughts.

Good luck, and welcome to MNSBR!

#3 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:28 PM

I believe this is Sam's Magnum Opus on charging: http://www.mnsportbi...showtopic=39059

If not, just read everything Sam has ever written and you'll eventually know enough to fix it.

#4 User is offline   CBR rider Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:16 S1000RR, 04 919, CRF230F, 07 Ninja 250R

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:03 AM

It's not uncommon for that gen R6 to have regulator/rectifier issues. I believe it gets hot where it's at and cooks. We relocated aftermarket and never had a problem again (after mounting one aftermarket in the OE location and cooking it also). Maybe worth relocating your new one if it's still good.

#5 User is offline   Sleeper404 Icon

• Ride:Aprilia Tuono V4R

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

View PostCBR rider, on 25 April 2018 - 04:03 AM, said:

It's not uncommon for that gen R6 to have regulator/rectifier issues. I believe it gets hot where it's at and cooks. We relocated aftermarket and never had a problem again (after mounting one aftermarket in the OE location and cooking it also). Maybe worth relocating your new one if it's still good.

I would second the notion of the voltage regulator, if you're hitting 19v from the stator the voltage regulator isn't doing it's job of burning off the excess voltage as heat to bring it back down to the 14.4 max it should charge at. If you have a multimeter see if you can put the ground to some metal on the bike and probe the red wire coming out of the regulator if it's >14.4 change it out.

#6 User is offline   Quin Icon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

View PostSleeper404, on 26 April 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

I would second the notion of the voltage regulator, if you're hitting 19v from the stator the voltage regulator isn't doing it's job of burning off the excess voltage as heat to bring it back down to the 14.4 max it should charge at. If you have a multimeter see if you can put the ground to some metal on the bike and probe the red wire coming out of the regulator if it's >14.4 change it out.

thanks for the advice I will test that and see what its reading. Also, I toke my battery out that was reading something right around 12-12.1. Thru it on a charger and it was at about 13.1-13.2 with no power. Put it in the bike and turned it on and it dropped back down to 11.9-12 volts. Does that still sound like the regulator to you? or possibly the stator? I don't get how with a brand new regulator and about 60 miles of riding on it, it would go bad already again. Again thanks for any advice!

#7 User is offline   Quin Icon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

View PostCBR rider, on 25 April 2018 - 04:03 AM, said:

Where did you end up relocating it to? What kind of regulator did you end up using? Thanks again for the advice!

#8 User is offline   Quin Icon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostPOE, on 24 April 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Check wires, especially around any moving parts. If a wire shield is broken, you could be grounding out somewhere causing battery drain or bad feedback through the system. I'm imagining around the steering head where a wire could get smashed in the the steering lock if it's not ran through that space correctly. Check ground wires to make sure none have broke off.

I'm definitely not a electrician, but those was my first thoughts.

Good luck, and welcome to MNSBR!

Thanks for the reply. I checked on that stuff and everything seemed fine.

#9 User is offline   CBR rider Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:16 S1000RR, 04 919, CRF230F, 07 Ninja 250R

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

It was located back under the tail section where some air could get to it. Also worth noting is that if you are charging a battery and test it right away, you will get what's call surface charge and it can give you a false (high) reading as opposed to what the battery is actually holding for a charge. There are a few people that have put in a GSXR or ZX6 rectifier with "positive" results. Maybe worth a little research also.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users