Ohm Cetrtification Checklist Is Released! Copy attached

#31 User is offline   slopoke Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Interests:takin it slo because I loves you girl
  • Ride:segway to the lrt

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

rather try here 1st before the craigslist freaks get a shot.

#32 User is offline   JVS Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

View Postmr_e, on 16 January 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Anyone know what the consequences for equipment violations are? (lights, horn, mirrors, etc)

https://www.revisor....tatutes/?id=169

Scroll down to 169.46

#33 User is offline   taco_ben Icon

• i won't do it.
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:05 SV/GSXR COMBO

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Email Jeremy at info@expeditionops.com for pricing. Tell him I sent you. Good luck kids!

#34 User is offline   Some Delay Icon

• Group: Newb
  • Ride:XR650R

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

I can't speculate about how much more we'll get pulled over. I did get pulled over last year because he thought I was riding a dirt bike down the street. This was sort of true but it was registered and plated. I've been working on changing out all the lights and things that say "for offroad use only" with things that say "DOT SAE" just to be proactive.

#35 User is offline   7808 Icon

• ( . ) ( . )
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:yes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

oh shit. whats the best 400cc + bike to throw some tard wheels and lights on for a couple grand or less? i would be attempting this right now if i had not sold my dirtbike end of last season for the exact reason i gave up hope of making it street legal some what easily

#36 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • Ride:'17 Supersport, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '04 WR450F

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postcut, on 20 February 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

oh shit. whats the best 400cc + bike to throw some tard wheels and lights on for a couple grand or less? i would be attempting this right now if i had not sold my dirtbike end of last season for the exact reason i gave up hope of making it street legal some what easily

Steel framed WR450.

End of story.

Mike

#37 User is offline   7808 Icon

• ( . ) ( . )
  • Ride:yes

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

gona look for one. what about a crf450 ? hows the power of the wr450 compared to my old yz426

#38 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

View Postcut, on 20 February 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

gona look for one. what about a crf450 ? hows the power of the wr450 compared to my old yz426

Spend some time on Thumper Talk to know what works and what doesn't. Your budget is fairly low at under $2k so a 'crosser will be pricey as you will immediately need to add a headlight and a lighting stator to even start down this road, $350 or more right there, not including signals, horn, etc. So say you even find a $1800 02, 03 CRF450, you have $2K into just to start. A WR450 (or 426 if you don't mind kickstarting it) will be $1500-$2500 ready to put the Tusk $179 kit on. And I think some of the early 4 strokes were 4 speeds, be wary of that.

I am a Honda guy at heart and would have loved a CRF450X but they are WAY over priced compared tothe WR and all the CRF series top ends are more "fragile" than the WR seem to be. Nothing bad with that, they just seem to need more attention than the WR's do (check Thunpertalk) and the WR's are geared better internally for the road. I have a 15 tooth front sprocket on mine (1 larger) and it will roll at a walking pace with the clutch out but still do 60-65 all day without issue.

On any 4 popper, the biggest things to keep in mind are oil capacities being so small, on the street you need to monitor it closely and no cush drive is hard on chains and sprockets and the entire driveline; transmission gears wear quickly with abuse.

Mike

#39 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Got mine plated this morning.

DMV knows nothing about it so have them look it up and be patient. I paid no title fees, no taxes, nothing but the plate fee and some administrative shit; DMV 2 year sticker and plate fee were $71.50.

Make sure YOU know what is up and don't rely on them as they nothing. Easy, peasy.

Mike

#40 User is offline   DVS DAN Icon

• You can legally lane split if there is a Polish road block
  • Interests:Goin fast & getting air
  • Ride:Naked wheelie scoot

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postmiweber929, on 21 February 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Got mine plated this morning.

DMV knows nothing about it so have them look it up and be patient. I paid no title fees, no taxes, nothing but the plate fee and some administrative shit; DMV 2 year sticker and plate fee were $71.50.

Make sure YOU know what is up and don't rely on them as they nothing. Easy, peasy.

Mike
I just dealt with this and as you stated, I got same thing including a phone call to "downtown"... My question is, I wasn't sure about the sales tax. She wanted me to pay sales tax on the dirt bike purchase. With a value of $1000 stated, my cost would have been $100 and she said I need to get the engine serial number? My DNR registration was $38.50 and she also stated that I wouldn't be registered for trails now?

#41 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostDVS DAN, on 19 October 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

I just dealt with this and as you stated, I got same thing including a phone call to "downtown"... My question is, I wasn't sure about the sales tax. She wanted me to pay sales tax on the dirt bike purchase. With a value of $1000 stated, my cost would have been $100 and she said I need to get the engine serial number? My DNR registration was $38.50 and she also stated that I wouldn't be registered for trails now?

OK, you're in a weird spot:

What she is trying to do is title your bike as that is the only reason you would need to pay taxes and get an engine number. Like I said earlier YOU will have to direct them what to do or find someone who knows and does it with you guiding or you;'ll get screwed. But, if you do just the OHM cert you get a plate only and NO title, so technically a title transaction will cost you more but you'll have a legit title which they can't just revoke if they change their minds on this law. But it does cost more, so either pay less and do it by the OHM law (plate only, no title) or pay a bit more (it'll be closer to $65 tax at 6.5%) and hope they screw up and get you an actual title. You will then need an engine number and my suggestion is pay the extra $20 to fast track it or if you send it in they have time to research VIN's and will possibly not issue a title based on the number which you won't know about until 3 months later.

She is WRONG about the trail thing, though because you NEED the DNR sticker to get the OHM plate which makes you legal for trails in MN. You should pay DNR reg and whatever their plate fee was ONLY, not tax, I paid like under $75 total. Find someone who knows, the person you dealt with obviously didn't.

#42 User is offline   DVS DAN Icon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

She definitely didn't know and started out by saying she needs pictures, inspection, etc. I let her know the laws have recently changed so it is a checklist form and PS 2000 only. I don't get what you mean about doing just the OHM cert for plate and no title, or pay more and get a title. You should have to fill out the PS 2000 either way. Check the first post. I'm wondering if anyone had to pay the bike purchase price sales tax during this transaction? Do you even get your title much faster by paying $20?

She was on the phone when whoever told her the DNR registration wouldn't work for both on and off-highway riding...? I'll try Ramsey tomorrow

#43 User is offline   JVS Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostDVS DAN, on 19 October 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

I wonder if you even get your title much faster by paying $20?

Took me one week when I expedited it (paid the 20 dollars to get it faster)

#44 User is offline   DVS DAN Icon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostJVS, on 19 October 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

Took me one week when I expedited it (paid the 20 dollars to get it faster)
You got a title in the mail one week later, WTF!

#45 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostDVS DAN, on 19 October 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

She definitely didn't know and started out by saying she needs pictures, inspection, etc. I let her know the laws have recently changed so it is a checklist form and PS 2000 only. I don't get what you mean about doing just the OHM cert for plate and no title, or pay more and get a title. You should have to fill out the PS 2000 either way. Check the first post. I'm wondering if anyone had to pay the bike purchase price sales tax during this transaction? Do you even get your title much faster by paying $20?

She was on the phone when whoever told her the DNR registration wouldn't work for both on and off-highway riding...? I'll try Ramsey tomorrow

PS2000, yes and no. You have to fill out some of it for the OHM plate only, most of it is N/A. If you are getting a title, you must fill it all out. Minnesota is a seperate title/plate state (the only one I have dealt with) so it's possible to have a vehicle with a legit plate and no, bad or an incorrect title. It's weird, I know.

If you have done the OHM checklist form and PS2000 and are getting a PLATE ONLY as per the OHM law, you do not have to pay sales tax. However, if you get someone who wants to fill out the form and try to get you a title (which is not correct and not lawful), then you will need to pay tax. And whenever I do a transaction I pay the $20 bend-over and get it up the ass expedite fee for titles to get my title within a week or it will be literally MONTHS before you see it.

I think she was not asking the right questions on the phone (or was just dense) as there are several things in play here:

DNR sticker: good for ALL Minnesota trails. Even if you have a legit DS bike with title you MUST have this to ride on trails in MN
Plate: Means you can ride on the road legally. Without the DNR sticker you are street legal only
OHM Plate: You must meet the guidlines on the checklist, pay the DNR fee and you'll get a plate ONLY
Title: Well, I don't know what else you get other than you can tranfer a title to another state and the bike is then legal to street ride.

So if I have a DRZ400S which is factory legal, I have a title, plate and if I want to trail ride in Minnesota, need the DNR sticker. I'd pay the title transfer fee, taxes and all the other BS they have. With my WR450 I pay the DNR sticker only since I have no title (even though I have an MSO) unless I want to street ride and at that point I pay the OHM fee only on top of the DNR sticker.

Go somewhere else. It took me a couple tries and to have them do it right, but I sat with the teller, the DMV office, the forms and the laws on a website they found and we hashed it out which was what my last post a couple months ago was about. If she is filling out the full PS2000, asking about taxes and looking for an engine number it's only because she is trying to issue a full new title, something that is the only thing she's probably ever done, she is not doing the OHM thing right.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users