• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Donnybrooke Garage Stall Rental

#1 User is offline   CRA Webmaster Icon

• Visit http://www.cra-mn.com!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:37 PM

When the CRA hosts an event is on the Donnybrook Course, we are pleased to offer shelter to our racers from the unpredictable weather in Brainerd.

For the May 2018 Event, the CRA will be offering garage stalls for $40 per stall. Each stall can fit two bikes/racers.

Garage stalls can be purchased in the CRA store starting with pre-registration and through the end of the event weekend. Please remember to request a garage and stall number with when ordering.

Garage stall assignments will be posted on the CRA website the Wednesday before the event.

If you have any questions, please contact Anna at racereg@cra-mn.com

CRA Garage Stalls

View the full article

#2 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

Just a reminder that the garages ARE snow proof so rent in confidence.

#3 User is offline   StillRippin Icon

• Group: Newb
  • Interests:Wife, Bikes, Guns and Sticky Rubber…
  • Ride:06 Goldwing, 15 BMW s1000RR,11GSX-R 600, 13 KTM 690 SMR, 09 Aprilia 250 Sportcity

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

Jon, do you know if the breakers have/had been looked at since last year? It’s a real bugger when they keep tripping. Seems to be getting worse the last couple years.

#4 User is offline   Beckett Icon

• I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Like the wind!

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:41 AM

My guess is that, no, they have not.

IMO it's not necessarily the breakers themselves (although, age does put stress on them), but that the electrical requirements we are putting on the specific branch circuits are greater than their capacity.

For instance, let's just say that a set of warmers is about 1000W of power (some are more, some are less.. also depends on if it's a multi-temp warmer). A standard 15A circuit (that I am assuming is what is in those barns) is rated for a max of 1800W. (15A x 120V = 1800W) Even with 20A circuits it would be a max of 2400W. (20A x 120V = 2400W)

Being the former - if you have two sets of tire warmers on that circuit (which I see all the time with extension cords and power strips) you are already exceeding the capacity of that branch circuit. Couple that with the fact that there are multiple outlets per branch circuit and older breakers... and you have the situation we're seeing. Even with the latter you are close to capacity with two sets of warmers.

That's just rough guesses and calculations. I'm not an electrician at all, but the power formulas don't change when calculating power draw of computer servers vs. tire warmers. :)

#5 User is offline   StillRippin Icon

• Interests:Wife, Bikes, Guns and Sticky Rubber…
  • Ride:06 Goldwing, 15 BMW s1000RR,11GSX-R 600, 13 KTM 690 SMR, 09 Aprilia 250 Sportcity

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

So..no. Even On Track for Him had his own circuit installed. Still has to ground his semi to the building for some reason to make his not pop... ~sigh~... The building is nice but can’t trust your tires to be on is not fun. I did a bit of testing last Sept. minimal load pops them. Maybe we could pass this on to someone who could look into this to confirm? I do have my own generators but it sure would be nice. Thanks for any help. See you in May!

#6 User is offline   POE Icon

• × ×
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR street
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

Have we asked BIR if those buildings are capable of 20A or larger breakers? I can't imagine upgrading breakers would be too big on an investment. Just a matter of meeting code for the existing infrastructure.

#7 User is offline   Beckett Icon

• I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Like the wind!

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:11 PM

It's about time and investment. I'm not going to make excuses for the infrastructure/maintenance staff except to say that they are thin. I'll bring it up though when I talk to the track manager if Jon doesn't first. As far as the breaker/outlet that Jim has installed - I want to say that might have been done on the side.

Luke, it's a matter of rewiring (assuming it's currently 14/2 wire and 15A breakers) or updating the breaker box. Each, I would assume, would result in added capital resources and the offset would be passed to the organization and racers utilizing those garages.

#8 User is offline   spargo19 Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:TZ250, RD400 YAMAHA

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

Each stall has it's own breaker?

#9 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:54 AM

View PostBeckett, on 26 April 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

I'm not an electrician at all, but the power formulas don't change when calculating power draw of computer servers vs. tire warmers. :)

Not to take anything away from the other stuff you wrote (it's true and I agree completely) but that's actually not correct because of something called "power factor".

For purely resistive loads like tire warmers, the power factor is unity (1). Computers, for example, have a power factor less than 1 (mine are typically ~0.65). A power factor of less than 1 occurs when the voltage and current waveforms are "out of phase" (not drawn at the same instant in time) with one another. You do have to size the power circuits to handle the peaks, but the work being done is less than you would expect by simply multiplying the RMS values of voltage and current together.

One mitigating factor is that tire warmers cycle on and off to maintain temperature. This can cause them to consume less power than their rating, and why sometimes an "overloaded circuit" works fine for short periods.

Recently I've been playing with an $11 power meter from China. It agrees reasonably well with an instrument I paid $1000 for in 1995. I'll post about it under projects if anyone is interested.

Attached File  PEZM-061.JPG (209.84K)
Number of downloads: 0

#10 User is offline   POE Icon

• × ×
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR street
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 01 May 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

Recently I've been playing with an $11 power meter from China. It agrees reasonably well with an instrument I paid $1000 for in 1995. I'll post about it under projects if anyone is interested.

Yes
Not sure what to expect, but sounds interesting.

#11 User is offline   ripperd Icon

• aka Dean
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:snowmobiles, bikes
  • Ride:08 WR250X/R, Kymco 125, CRF50

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

View PostJim Hubert, on 01 May 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

Not to take anything away from the other stuff you wrote (it's true and I agree completely) but that's actually not correct because of something called "power factor".

For purely resistive loads like tire warmers, the power factor is unity (1). Computers, for example, have a power factor less than 1 (mine are typically ~0.65).

IIRC new computers must have PFC (power factor correction). But you are right, older PC power supplies didn't give a rip about power factor and were often pretty poor.

#12 User is offline   spargo19 Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:TZ250, RD400 YAMAHA

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:38 AM

I've got one of those power meters too. I'll bring it up and let people survey their warmers. Look for the orange rs125 in the garage.

#13 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:18 AM

View Postspargo19, on 30 April 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

Each stall has it's own breaker?

No, usually several stalls share a branch/circuit/breaker.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users