• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR street
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

In my rough estimate, with entry fees, maintenance and tire costs averaged across the season, I can make a full weekend on an SV650 racing in LW for about $500. A double sprint weekend with 6 races with no pre reg discount would be $300 + $80 wrist band. Tire wear would be much less than a full set of tires for the weekend (front lasts forever. Rear wear would be ~50 - 60% maybe?) Then oil and consumables after that. Subtract the pre-registration savings and multi-race discount to save some cash and I figure it's about $500. (This ignores food and lodging. I volunteer so I don't pay gate fee either) Tell me if I'm forgetting some costs...

I made racing affordable for me. If you ask other guys to break down how they raced for cheap, I bet it can be done a decent amount cheaper than this.

Regardless. Do what you can within your means. It is important to know what racing can cost you though. Because if it is possible, it'll be the most fun you'll ever have.

And definitely get a track bike. It puts your mind at ease. A shiny street bike is a huge mental speed bump.

#32 User is offline   edge Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:2012 Yamaha r6

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

My overall point is that relatively speaking racing is expensive. Nowhere in my statement did I say to spend what I did. But even a lightweight bike can be expensive. Spending hundreds of dollars to run around a race track in and of itself is expensive. Whats more expensive is not committing to good equipment and thus wrecking your bike and yourself because you chose to skimp on things. I spend what I spend because I can afford it and I want it to work. You're right fancy paint jobs and stickers definitely don't make you faster and nowhere did say it was needed. The point is that racing is expensive if you can't afford to throw it all away. So either be prepared properly or don't show up. But I appreciate your input as always Shane.

View Postlouiedude, on 13 March 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

I disagree with you Sean, racing does not have to be rediculiously expensive. The way you went about it, yes. Not everyone needs to have a cherry pimp bike like you mostly have had and a paint job to match for an example.

That alone can save thousand of dollars to actually put towards going around the track. Nothing wrong with your taste but your comment is certainly misleading.

#33 User is offline   Tyykila731 Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • Pip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:2014 CBR600RR

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

View Postmike4king, on 13 March 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

Definitely send me info and a price. Motorcycles aren't the only reason I want to pick up a cheap 5x8-ish utility trailer.

It's nothing too special, 3 rail trailer that can carry a couple bikes. The most I've put on it was 2 600s and a grom. It'll need new fenders, has a spare tire, and the magnetic trailer lights because I got pulled over for my lights not working. All new wiring and lights but haven't wired it yet but will before I sell it.

I'll probably be looking for 500obo

#34 User is offline   louiedude Icon

• I am a champion
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:Race 2011 ZX-10R / 2002 xr 70 / TTR125le / 2005 Eaton Beamer scooter

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

View Postedge, on 13 March 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

My overall point is that relatively speaking racing is expensive. Nowhere in my statement did I say to spend what I did. But even a lightweight bike can be expensive. Spending hundreds of dollars to run around a race track in and of itself is expensive. Whats more expensive is not committing to good equipment and thus wrecking your bike and yourself because you chose to skimp on things. I spend what I spend because I can afford it and I want it to work. You're right fancy paint jobs and stickers definitely don't make you faster and nowhere did say it was needed. The point is that racing is expensive if you can't afford to throw it all away. So either be prepared properly or don't show up. But I appreciate your input as always Shane.

Sean I was not insulting you or your opinion, and I’m sorry if it came across like that. You said it was “rediculously expensive” . I was trying to point out that it doesn’t have to be ridiculously expensive.

Even owning a modern motorcycle given our climate in Minnesota, some might say is expensive. Just trying to give some perspective with no tone intended Sean.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users