My Blender Won't Blend. SV650 Engine Swap Woes

#16 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

View Postmotochanik, on 06 June 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

I have a power commander 3 (and power commander 5 for the 07-08 from another sv). I had thought about swapping them to double check the ecu is good but they have different harnesses and I assume different pixie driven devices.

I won't be able to get to the valves till Thursday. Why is the bottom end irrelevant? Shouldn't there be a set number of links from the crank to the cam on the non-tensionor side? We just don't count them because when you set that first cam you rely on the timing mark on the clutch and cams to get the correct number of links, then set the number of links between cams and then the tensioner takes the slack?

Also thanks for the offer of the motor. But if I can't get this one running for the weekend, I'm just going to try for July. I have sunk too much time into this already...

Yea the 07+ PC's are different. Did you try just unplugging the PC? Not likely to help (since it ran fine before) but you never know.

Bottom end is the point of truth - you can't do anything to change it so you don't worry about it. Get your front to TDC on compression stroke (F mark in the timing window), make sure notches in the face of the cam are parallel with the cylinder head, and then count 16 pins (inclusive of the pins the arrows point to) between the #2 and #3 arrows on the cams. If you do need to change them, on the front cylinder you set the exhaust cam first, making sure to pull all the slack out of the chain down to the crank, on the rear you set the intake first.

Rotate motor 360 degrees to F mark again and do the rear the same way.

#17 User is offline   motochanik Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newb

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

I didn't try unplugging the pc3. I'll add it to the list after checking the timing. Counting pins is easier than crappy connectors.

#18 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

Update? We didn't see you this weekend!

#19 User is offline   motochanik Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newb

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

After getting talked through the timing by Champ, it ended up being the power commander... Pulled it out bike ran fine, put it back in bike run like crap. I was in a hurry trying to make the race weekend so I didn't check the wiring for the pc3 but it was the problem. Some how I killed a timing chain and power commander at the same time. Thanks for the help. (Weekend didn't happen because gf's car too a poo, so I dealt with that instead)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users