Auto Injury Lawyer?

#16 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostPOE, on 19 June 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

My first insight to a law professional's response!

I've been warned, more casually/unprofessionally, not to sign. But coming from someone that sees these scenarios daily, it makes me feel much better and, now, more hopeful for an outcome better than what I expected. I didn't think I'd be looking at much more than 10k.

Yep - though you will have to sign at some point (they won't give you any money without you signing, unless you take it to court - which is super not recommended here), but there isn't really an end date set. If you keep dragging it out as an individual they will just keep making it more annoying (phone calls, letters) because they want the case off their list.

Hopefully you've been documenting any Dr./Chiro/PT/whatever visits since this has happened! As I noted, there is about a 90% chance the insurance company will ask you to see another Dr. for a second opinion/evaluation.

You said earlier the Auto injury benefits ran out (should be around $20k or $25k), and you are using your HSA - are you also putting it through your personal health insurance? Any settlement money you receive, the first part of it will usually go to pay back your personal health insurance, before you see any of it.

#17 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

View PostChamp, on 19 June 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

Yep - though you will have to sign at some point (they won't give you any money without you signing, unless you take it to court - which is super not recommended here), but there isn't really an end date set. If you keep dragging it out as an individual they will just keep making it more annoying (phone calls, letters) because they want the case off their list.

Hopefully you've been documenting any Dr./Chiro/PT/whatever visits since this has happened! As I noted, there is about a 90% chance the insurance company will ask you to see another Dr. for a second opinion/evaluation.

You said earlier the Auto injury benefits ran out (should be around $20k or $25k), and you are using your HSA - are you also putting it through your personal health insurance? Any settlement money you receive, the first part of it will usually go to pay back your personal health insurance, before you see any of it.

My auto "med-pay" was $5k. That ran out last summer/fall I think?

I do have all the records of my Dr. visits. If I have holes, I can call the offices to fill in the blanks. I'm not out to pull a sheet over anyone's eyes. I just want to get what is fair.
I thought going to a lawyer meant going to court, but it makes sense that the lawyer can get a settlement without having to go to court. So, a settlement is the best option because? It's simply cheaper than a legit court hearing?

#18 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

View PostPOE, on 19 June 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

I do have all the records of my Dr. visits. If I have holes, I can call the offices to fill in the blanks. I'm not out to pull a sheet over anyone's eyes. I just want to get what is fair.

Yep just want to have everything in order before you (or a lawyer) go back to the insurance company. I imagine it would be hard to negotiate a higher price if you could not show (or hadn't gone to) records of visits for treatment related to the accident.

View PostPOE, on 19 June 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

I thought going to a lawyer meant going to court, but it makes sense that the lawyer can get a settlement without having to go to court. So, a settlement is the best option because? It's simply cheaper than a legit court hearing?

At this point the lawyer just negotiates on your behalf, and if you don't think the value is fair you can choose to take it to court. The downside to court is it's a pain in the ass, and by doing that you open the opportunity to get LESS than they are offering you (which could be $0 to maybe just covering your medical bills up to this point and nothing further).

#19 User is offline   sportschiro Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:Zuma

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

Attorneys that I recommend in my office are:

Tom Bennerotte - Bennerotte & Assoc.
651-587-8423
injuryattorneysmn.com

Nate or Eric - TSR Injury 612-877-8463
tsrinjurylaw.com

Kirk Olimb - McEllistrem & Assoc 952-544-5501
mcfarg.com

Rick Schroeder - Schroeder & Mandel
https://www.schroede...-schroeder.html

#20 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:36 AM

Cool, thanks Jeni! I'll add them to the list.

#21 User is offline   Katie Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:00 SV650 Race

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

Your car insurance has PIP which is $20,000 for cars but itís not required on motorcycles so it depends on what you chose to have. After that, it goes to your health insurance. Any settlement money you get goes to pay back the health insurance prior to you. It depends on the case, but a lawyer will often get you more in he end. These usually donít go to court unless itís a very severe injury or death. A lawyer will settle out of court. A lawyer will take 1/3 of the settlement, then you pay back your health insurance, and then you get paid. Injuries generally have a ďvalueĒ based on what it is. It also depends on what insurance the other driver has. The value will also be determined by who treated you. Meaning needing only a chiropractor is less than needing a medical doctor which is less than needing an MD plus PT which is less than needing an MD plus surgery plus PT, etc. They will also make you see an IME provider for an evaluation. These doctors are tough and almost always side itís the insurance company. They are supposed to be independent doctors but they donít always seek that way. What they say plays a huge role in settlements. If you need more info or lawyer names, let me know. Unfortunately, I have more experience than I wanted to have in his area.

#22 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

Thanks Katie.I really appreciate the info share.

I actually spoke with Jes's recommendation last night. He basically said exactly what you did (you really do have a lot of experience with this!). Jes's guy Isaac was awesome. We've started to move forward so I'll be quiet about the details. But if I think of it, I'll update here with high-level updates along the way.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users