• You cannot reply to this topic

Do You Have Dog Insurance? I Need Advice

#1 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:2007 Kawasaki ZZR600

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

I bit the bullet and put a deposit down on a dog (that is not even conceived yet WTF am I thinking?) I am trying to figure out if it is worth getting pet insurance.
Any pro's or con's that you have had to deal with?

#2 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR race x2
    SV650 race
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    YZ250F

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:58 PM

My sick pet solution is a 9mm. If they get sick enough that I need insurance to cover them, I'm putting them to sleep permanently. Sounds cold hearted, I know. But to me pets are pets, not human or family.

#3 User is offline   dsmking Icon

• DSMking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Stuff...like with motors and gas and stuff.
  • Ride:- 2011 yz450f supermoto

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

We did not have insurance on our cane corso as in home owners and or medical, we had to put her down this past summer due to heart failure, the humane way, cause unlike above she was family and not just a pet! Cost was about $650 give or take, worth it in my opinion to end the suffering! Loved that damn dog, 150+lbs of pure fuckin hatred towards ppl other than my wife and my son and I

Attached File  3CF73260-8EB1-42D8-84D2-6492BEBE586D.jpeg (1.89MB)
Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  179B2B4C-4464-47E4-84D6-AF3ACCE58F1C.jpeg (170.75K)
Number of downloads: 5

#4 User is offline   dsmking Icon

• DSMking

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:12 AM

But the only reason we didnít have insurance was our dog was an aggressive breed, I would have had insurance if we could have, it would be a good idea to cause it can protect you from getting sued if the pup bites someone or anything like that happens, all depends on what type of dog your getting. Check with your insurance company and see what they have to say about it, ask for a breed list that they cover before you tell them what you are planning on getting, my insurance agent pretty much said he didnít hear a thing when I told him what we had and that our conversation did not happen lol aka they wouldnít even think of covering her. My dog actually payed for her self one night when my wife was out walking her in north branch, scared off like 4 fuckin dudes that were hassling my wife when she let out a good mean bark

#5 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2003 600rr track, 2012 V-Star1300 street

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:53 AM

I don't have pet insurance, and don't know how much it costs but it could probably have saved me money. I have 2 rescue dogs (4 year old lab/pit mix and 2 year old rottweiler/pit mix), and have spent a good chunk of money on them, including the rott getting hit by a car (x-rays and meds), dog version of ACL tear in the lab (required surgery), the lab getting into an attic space in my last house and eating a bunch of insulation (x-rays, special food for a few days), a biopsy on a random lump, and spay incontinence in one of them (multiple urine analyses, meds), and all the normal costs like spaying, annual checkups, good food, etc.

My dogs are family to me, and I'd estimate $10-12k on them for extracurricular medical costs in the last few years. That being said, I never drop a ton of money to get a dog and only go through rescues, although I would be able to justify it if i was looking for a specific pure-bred for hunting or something like that. Also, I was asked the breeds of any dogs in the house when getting homeowners insurance.

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   cra_fizzer Icon

• Official BIR hater...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Big Al

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

It really depends on the breed.
We have insurance on our French Bulldog. We had to put our first Frenchy through Chemo. Not cheap.
Pets are part of the family and treated as such.

I can get you more info and which insurance we went with. You really need to pay attention to the exclusions and fee structure!!

And POE, why the hell do you have a dog then?? WTF you cold heartless bastard.

#7 User is offline   C3L1CA Icon

• PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'12 ZX10R, '09 Warrior, '01 yz250, '14 SSR 125

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:47 AM

^You should post up what company you go through and what to look for!

We don't have insurance on our golden and he's been pretty healthy so far and not go into too much trouble. He did break a nail trying to climb a tree to get a squirrel in our back yard, but that vet bill was pretty small to trim it up and get some stuff to help stop the bleeding. Then he got into the garbage and ate a corn on the cob which we were able to use some hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and he threw it all up. If he wasn't able to throw up the corn I would think having insurance in that instance would've paid for itself pretty quick.

Posted Image

#8 User is online   Rider Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:2011 CBR600rr (Track), 2013 Multistrada

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:54 AM

I have a boston terrier that has been a money pit with no insurance.

Broken leg with plate and screws
Lyme Disease
Cataracts
Crook/ingrown tail that has gotten infected a couple of time

I hindsight i would have probably made the investment to control my costs. My sister recently got a french bulldog puppy that had some weird issues and the insurance covered them all.

#9 User is offline   cb186 Icon

• Zach "i'll crash yours too" Hughes
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:04 R6 racebike

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

View PostPOE, on 28 December 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

My sick pet solution is a 9mm. If they get sick enough that I need insurance to cover them, I'm putting them to sleep permanently. Sounds cold hearted, I know. But to me pets are pets, not human or family.

Dont feel bad, I'd put a .45 behind your ear before I'd put my dogs down due to $$$. But my pets are family, you're just a person.

#10 User is online   Rider Icon

• PipPip
  • Ride:2011 CBR600rr (Track), 2013 Multistrada

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

I asked my sister some questions. The insurance she used on her french bulldog was from Nationwide. She said another popular company recommended by her vet was VPI. When my sister compared them, VPI was the more expensive option. The premium on her dog at first was $56/month. She said they covered most things but not all. It sounds like each breed has a list of known congenital issues that are not covered and the usual pre-existing conditions clause exists for pets too, so probably better to get covered sooner than later.

With that said, she said they have increased her rates to $85/month and now that the dog is a little older they have decided to no longer keep insurance. She said it was definitely worth for them in the beginning.

#11 User is offline   crakerjac Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

Before we were married, the vet had talked my wife into getting insurance for her cat. Turned out to be a huge freaking scam. The insurance had a co-pay that was damn near the same as the vet bill. To top it off, she had a hell of a time canceling the insurance since it was auto-renewed every year... after telling them we wanted to cancel, we somehow got charged again for the next year... ended up canceling the credit card.

I myself am in the same boat as Poe. I grew up on a farm and pets served a purpose. Once that purpose was served, or they fell ill, they got put out to pasture. If a dog started eating chickens, or cow bit my sister, or a horse broke it's leg, they all met the same fate. Cold hearted... maybe... but it just came down to survival of the fittest.

#12 User is offline   dsmking Icon

• DSMking

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

View Postcb186, on 29 December 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

Dont feel bad, I'd put a .45 behind your ear before I'd put my dogs down due to $$$. But my pets are family, you're just a person.

🤘🏻😂🙏🏻

#13 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

What I am seeing, is if you have to use it, you pay the vet in full and the company reimburses you how ever much %. That seems like a fucking scam to me. Which is why I have a problem with getting it.
I am getting a pure bred, I normally would go to a shelter and get some retarded mutt that is only a family dog for comfort, so I half agree with POE. But I am getting a dog with a blood line and using it for hunting. I would feel like shit if I threw all of this money at a dog to train it, and one day some ass has hits the damn dog and I cant afford to pay for it. But with the insurance, I have to pay for it regardless if I have insurance or not. This is where I am stuck in my decision.

#14 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

View Postcrakerjac, on 29 December 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

I myself am in the same boat as Poe. I grew up on a farm and pets served a purpose. Once that purpose was served, or they fell ill, they got put out to pasture. If a dog started eating chickens, or cow bit my sister, or a horse broke it's leg, they all met the same fate. Cold hearted... maybe... but it just came down to survival of the fittest.

I agree with you. Which is why I will never have cats. They serve absolutely no purpose to me. They kill mice, sure. But I dont live on a farm with mice, and they're assholes. The only good cat is a dead cat.

#15 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'17 Supersport, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '04 WR450F

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

Growing up or living on a farm is not a valid reason to feel that animals are anything more than disposable annoyances and should be killed if they bother you. There are limits to what I will spend on a sick animal but to callously shoot something that has done nothing to you is shitty in my book whether you "like" an animal or not.

Lots of people serve no purpose to me, they're a assholes, so what does that mean I can do?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users