#16 User is offline   CBR600F4i Icon

• Always Along For the Ride...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:CB1000R, SV650, CRF250R

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostKent Larson, on 16 April 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

I'll break off too, if needed.
I redline at an indicated 85mph (not sure about actual speed) but there is no rev limiter. It will show 95+ in emergencies.

Is that the bike you are selling?

#17 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

I believe it is: http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80581

#18 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• 300,000+ miles served
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Riding fuel injected, liquid-cooled, 2 wheeled motorbikes.
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. 2006 Harley V-Rod. 03 Yamaha YZF-R1. 2018 YZ250FX.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:22 PM

View PostCBR600F4i, on 16 April 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

I canít ski in MN anymore

I quit skiing back in the 90s after I skied in Colorado.
But I started back up 6 years ago to try the "new" curved skis.

Lutsen is pretty damn good for a plains state. I talk to people quite often that drive 9 hours from Chicago to ski there.
I talked to a 40 year+ ski instructor that lives near Welch and skis 40+ days out west every year that still skis at Lutsen.

I know it doesn't compare to the mountains, but I'm not a ski snob that way.
Yup...Lutsen is pretty damn good.

#19 User is offline   NorthStar Icon

• Ph.D in Braapanomics
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:2 Wheels, and trouble.
  • Ride:Wheelies

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:36 AM

View PostPOE, on 16 April 2019 - 10:02 AM, said:

The only street legal bikes I have are a couple of Groms.

Get the group to out run me and I'll go home.

It's more about how you impact the way the group leader rides. He's not just going to leave you in the dust. So I will reiterate my fuck you, Luke (angryface)

#20 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

I would explain to the leaders not to include me in their rider count and to not wait up. If the pre-ride route discussion reveals that it's obvious I won't keep up I'll still meet up with the group before the ride and do my own solo ride after KSU. I don't want to interfere with the flow if I'm not keeping up well enough. But with my top speed of 76 I imagine it should work out just fine unless you're hitting major freeways at 80+. The BBK Grom has some get-up-n-go.

#21 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:45 AM

"...unless you're hitting major freeways at 80+"

Back when I would lead rides (15+ years ago by now), I'd do about 80 in the straights and about yellow sign speed times 2 in the corners. Rolling on out of a 25-35 indicated corner hits 70-80mph with leisurely comfort and I'd just sit there until the next corner. It is always about max corner speed for me on street rides. That's where the fun is and there's no prize for making it to the next corner in the shortest time possible.

But still, 80+ was a frequent speed on a straight even on a relaxed back-roads ride through Wisconsin alphabet country.

I wouldn't publish a route (too much trouble and wanted to be spontaneous to modify for unknown road conditions) but had a rule to keep everyone on route. At each turn, wait and make sure the person behind you knows which way we went. If you don't see someone turn or waiting at a side road, you knew to keep going straight. That worked well and let everyone ride their own pace but you had to count on people being smart enough and skilled enough to not crash because it really spreads out the group. If someone went down, it could be a while before they were noticed.

NorthStar: "It's more about how you impact the way the group leader rides. He's not just going to leave you in the dust."
Luke: "I would explain to the leaders not to include me in their rider count and to not wait up."

If Luke makes it, I'll join him in the "...not wait up" club. If we get left behind, we'll have each other for company and, if needed, crash recovery. So no impact to the group for having a Grom and small two-stroke on the ride.

#22 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

BTW, my RS50 didn't fire up after it's long winter nap. I'll put it on a charger tonight and try it again tomorrow. If I have to clean out the carb, I'll try to get to that Friday so the RS50 is ready on Saturday. I have my son's KTM 390 as a backup (or my daughter's Ninja 300) so I'll join up regardless.

BTW2, I'm usually commuting on a WR250 or ST1300. If I take the wife's GROM out for a ride, I find myself way uncomfortable during a hard turn-in. The twitchy little chugger feels like it's just going to fall over and spit me off. After a bit I get more comfortable but I'd need considerable more time before I'd be ready to sport ride that thing anywhere close to the limit of cornering traction since I'm more calibrated to pushing the ST1300 beast about. I'd need a lot more time on a GROM before I'd be anywhere ready to keep up in the corners with one.

#23 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:58 AM

Speed - Usually rides I attend have been 10+mph on straights and comfortable-to-your-skills in corners. Corners are where I would be tempted to pass big bikes with the Grom. Read next line...

Grom Stability - I have full suspension and ride it at DCTC. It's ready. Carrying corner speed on a little bike is pretty easy when the suspension works. Stock suspension is horrible in corners and can make for a bad day if you push too hard (read: Push a little bit). Rear: YSS w/ piggy back res. Front: Racing Bros fully adjustable cartridges.

#24 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:27 PM

I'm going to try and meet up with the group before KSU, but I made my own Grom ride at 11. So now you can sing in your helmet instead of mumble under your breath NorthStar :lol2:

#25 User is offline   NorthStar Icon

• Ph.D in Braapanomics
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

Whose mumbling? FUCK YOU LUKE, YOU GROM ASS BITCH.

#26 User is offline   POE Icon

• ◊ ◊
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

Posted Image

#27 User is offline   NorthStar Icon

• Ph.D in Braapanomics
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

Ban Luke please.

#28 User is offline   CBR600F4i Icon

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

Kent Larson, on 17 April 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

BTW, my RS50 didn't fire up after it's long winter nap. I'll put it on a charger tonight and try it again tomorrow. If I have to clean out the carb, I'll try to get to that Friday so the RS50 is ready on Saturday. I have my son's KTM 390 as a backup (or my daughter's Ninja 300) so I'll join up regardless.

BTW2, I'm usually commuting on a WR250 or ST1300. If I take the wife's GROM out for a ride, I find myself way uncomfortable during a hard turn-in. The twitchy little chugger feels like it's just going to fall over and spit me off. After a bit I get more comfortable but I'd need considerable more time before I'd be ready to sport ride that thing anywhere close to the limit of cornering traction since I'm more calibrated to pushing the ST1300 beast about. I'd need a lot more time on a GROM before I'd be anywhere ready to keep up in the corners with one.

Do you get the RS50 running?

#29 User is offline   CBR600F4i Icon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:25 PM

Great meeting you Kent. Thanks for coming along. It was a great first ride of the season

#30 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for putting that together guys. It was fun getting out on a group ride again. I'll try to bring my RC51 next time. I need some incentive to put it back together and get it in shape for street riding.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users