• You cannot reply to this topic

Wildcat Mountain State Park In Wi

#1 User is offline   Stork Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:DRZ400SM, SV650

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

So last Sat I decided to go find some new roads since my weekend was turning to crap and I needed something exciting and cheap to do. Anyway, this Wildcat Mountain State Park is about 45-50 mi East of La Crosse on 33. There are a couple turns in this park that had I not been taking it easy would have resulted in some serious peg scraping on the DRZ. There is a crazy switchback that scared the hell out of me at a whopping 25 mph. Looking ahead and down the road basically would have required eyes in the back of my head. It's kind of like a very steep uphill bus stop at DCTC with no right hand turn after the sharp left. That turn would have put me in the guard rail had it not been for my time on the track. I just wasn't expecting it... at all. Being comfortable enough to lean the bike over, trust the bike, and give it some gas made the difference between crashing and not. Standing the bike up to stop would've been asking to kiss the guard rail too. Cool turn and I can't wait to go back. The rest of the park was full of posted 15, 25, and a few 30mph turns as well. If you are in a car, they actually mean 15mph too. This state park was a sumo heaven but it was far too short. Anyway, I just wanted to let ya'll know this place is out there. Maybe the fact that I was on a sumo made it better than what it is, but I loved it despite it only lasting 5 min or so. I should have made a few "laps."

The ride out there on 33 out of La Crosse is ok... Just your typical high speed sweepers that had the poor little DRZ screaming the whole way. On a sportbike the road would be much more fun. A lot of turns were posted in the 40mph range so obviously 60-80mph was very doable. I wasn't pushing the pace so many here could go much faster and have even more fun. The country side was really pretty and also made for a great ride as well. On a cruiser this would be a nice slow cruise. On a sportbike though, this could be a very fast fun ride. Just make sure you slow it down when you get to the state park.

Due to the distance from the cities this would be an all day trip for most, but if anybody is ever in the area it's worth it. Don't make a trip out just for this short section of road, but if you are ever headed to the Madison area on the back roads then you have to hit this place up. The 5 min of twisties is worth it in my opinion. Just plan time to hit it at least twice before continuing on your journey.

#2 User is offline   JVS Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

162 and kk near stoddard over to 33 through wildcat across to Hillsboro makes for a fun ride. Out that ways it's pretty easy to find fun twisty roads. A lot of scenery too!

#3 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'17 Supersport, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '04 WR450F

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

There are about 500 great roads in that area but Wildcat is one of the better.

However it's a heavily patrolled state park with lot's of little turn offs and slow moving vehicles at various spots so you MUST be careful. Lots of crashes every year on the switchback you mentioned, and lots of riding groups frequent there every year. Been hassled a few times for repeatedly riding back and forth through there by the Forest Service which are usually cop wannabees, so keep that in mind as well.

Short of traveling many hours south you can't find a much better road.

#4 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• 300,000+ miles served
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Riding fuel injected, liquid-cooled, 2 wheeled motorbikes.
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. 2006 Harley V-Rod. 03 Yamaha YZF-R1. 2018 YZ250FX.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Anyone that goes to this area should buy a Southwestern regional map. It shows all of the crooked lines that dont show up on a state map.
Wildcat is just a taste of the good stuff.
From Richland Center on down to New Glarous are some outstanding roads.

#5 User is offline   Fastlil1 Icon

• This has been edited.
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:2007 SV650 (street) 2003 SV650 (track) 2002 DR-Z400

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

As of last year wild cat actually has a motorcycle enforcement squad. Big heads up on that. If you are on your way there I HIGHLY suggest going through The Cut near west Salem as well.

#6 User is offline   rochambo Icon

• Portrait of the artist as a fucking asshole
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Killing cops and reading Kerouac...
  • Ride:grom

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

I always get cheese curds in Ontario after hitting Wildcat. I miss having a cabin down there. Made it super convenient to buzz around all day.

#7 User is offline   JVS Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hey Chris, lets set up another weekend in stoddard. Had a lot of fun minus that girl that sideswiped our leader and me being awkward because I didn't know anybody lol

#8 User is offline   wasteproduct Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Newb

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostTorchsport, on 10 July 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

Anyone that goes to this area should buy a Southwestern regional map. It shows all of the crooked lines that dont show up on a state map.

I don't think you can get those WI regional maps anymore. I just photocopy some pages from a DeLorme Atlas.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users