MNSBR: Cra Improvement Thread - MNSBR

• 52 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cra Improvement Thread Got ideas? We want to hear them.

#31 User is offline   BigSexy8 Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:2004 R1 For sale, 2007 R6, 2008 R1, 2003 YZ450F, 2003 Zuma, 2000 XR50

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:54 AM

View Post00R6, on 08 June 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

4. Get rid of the antiquated class structures. What is Gran Prix anyway and why is it needed in addition to superbike? This is more directed at all of club racing, I'm sure it would be complicated to figure out good classes and fit them in, it just seems silly to race one bike in six different classes against a bunch of other bikes that are in all of them too.

Are you saying adding something different? or just simply saying get ride of Grand Prix?
i would say im againt that unless your going to run Superbike twice that's fine. I thought everyone wanted more track time not less?

#32 User is offline   atomic41 Icon

• when life gives you lemons...paint that shit gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:yes!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:32 AM

Just posting a thread asking for suggestions is an example of how incredible the BOD has been recently compared to previous administrations. I am truly impressed with how hard the BOD is working to increase the marketability and overall well being of the CRA. :handclap:

1. announcer

2. Geoff's idea of paying/reserving short course paddock spots is awesome. Charge a different fee for electric access, and give out a parking sticker for ONE vehicle for paying spot. It gets real old when friends/cousins/girlfriends, etc. block in your pit area with their car. Put this on the website as a pre reg. option to maintain a first come first served deal.

#33 User is offline   skell15 Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:21 AM

View PostPhysicker, on 07 June 2011 - 10:51 PM, said:

I don't really have any Idea how to do this because despite my personal efforts I've managed to bring only one person, and only for one weekend.

But anything that can be done to increase worker participation, corners are short staffed like crazy...

That is VERY high on our priority list. We will be announcing a reward program related to this program in the very near future.

View PostAJay817, on 07 June 2011 - 11:03 PM, said:

Full or partial refunds for major mechanical failures or personal injury.
Example: you register for a bunch of races in a Double sprint weekend and your motor blows or you break a bone early Saturday. The shortened weekend and loss of $ is insult to injury...literally.

Refunds are currently handled on a case-by-case basis. If you have a mechanical, crash or injury, a refund request form can be filled out and submitted to the BoD for consideration at the next meeting.

View Post00R6, on 08 June 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

6. Lengthen the number of years that you can go without a license without having to take new riders school and go back to novice.

We extended this by a year for experts over this past off season. That rule change was pointed out in a newsletter earlier this year.

View Postblkduc, on 08 June 2011 - 05:32 AM, said:

Jessica/ZARS proposed to the CRA a deal that would involve ZARS hosting the Friday practice...

This was proposed last year and the 2010 Board decided that more fact-finding was necessary. I will put this on the agenda for the upcoming meeting.

#34 G_fifty_one_fifty_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:22 AM

View PostAJay817, on 07 June 2011 - 11:03 PM, said:

Full or partial refunds for major mechanical failures or personal injury.
Example: you register for a bunch of races in a Double sprint weekend and your motor blows or you break a bone early Saturday. The shortened weekend and loss of $ is insult to injury...literally.

I believe this is already in place unless it has changed since I served on the board.

No refunds on days you turn a wheel on track, but available on the remaining day(s) after a minor fee.

#35 User is offline   Beckett Icon

• I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Ride:Like the wind!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

View Postcra_fizzer, on 07 June 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

Windows app is free. Didn't realize they had a phone app.

@Tony: http://www.race-monitor.com is what Katie and Jon are talking about. It's something I beta tested last month and will continue to beta test this month.

#36 User is offline   crash13 Icon

• common sense is not very common
  • Interests:Duh
  • Ride:2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide, Howard the Duck 750 Monster, Zuma

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

A few years ago (Kitty may remember better) we had an out of work radio guy come up to announce for the weekend. He had approached us about doing on a volunteer basis. It was really great until he told us how much it would cost to have him up there for every event after. It reminded me of a drug dealer saying "the first one is free"! Having a professional who could cold read the names and build teh action was really fun, but I cannot blame hime for wanting to get paid for his profession, we just could not afford that type of expenditure. Maybe we could look for a broadcasting student who wants the experience, and then of coures after a few events he gts hooked on CRA like the rest of us.

+100 on Geoff's paddock rules

I actually like the idea of a class restructuring but without any suggestions as to what it should be I have nothing to add without more research

oh and more cowbell

#37 User is offline   Beckett Icon

• I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Ride:Like the wind!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

View Postcrash13, on 08 June 2011 - 06:41 AM, said:

A few years ago (Kitty may remember better) we had an out of work radio guy come up to announce for the weekend. He had approached us about doing on a volunteer basis. It was really great until he told us how much it would cost to have him up there for every event after. It reminded me of a drug dealer saying "the first one is free"! Having a professional who could cold read the names and build teh action was really fun, but I cannot blame hime for wanting to get paid for his profession, we just could not afford that type of expenditure. Maybe we could look for a broadcasting student who wants the experience, and then of coures after a few events he gts hooked on CRA like the rest of us.

+100 on Geoff's paddock rules

I work with a couple guys who would be perfect for the announcer position. One was on KSTP for some time before the format change and his cousin heading up the GL show - the other just had a baby so I can't see him doing it. :( There is lots of talent out there and I can tell you from personal experience as a former broadcasting student that if I had this type of oppritunity I would have jumped on it and included it as part of my demo/portfolio. There is always a handful of students who just want to do sports broadcasting... Maybe contacting Brown and talking to certain folks there will get you a teachers choice to come do some volunteer work to add to their demo?

The paddock idea's I like and for the very reason that others mentioned. It's way crowded in there at times when you have everyone and their uncle parked in your pit.

#38 User is offline   epr194 Icon

• ZX6R
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:11 AM

4. Get rid of the antiquated class structures. What is Gran Prix anyway and why is it needed in addition to superbike? This is more directed at all of club racing, I'm sure it would be complicated to figure out good classes and fit them in, it just seems silly to race one bike in six different classes against a bunch of other bikes that are in all of them too.

I actually like the idea of a class restructuring but without any suggestions as to what it should be I have nothing to add without more research

There are probably a lot of interesting things that the CRA could do if "we" seriously and creatively looked at the "sacred cow" of MW/HW combined with SS/SB/GP.

I still want the Orange NR jersey's back though.

#39 User is online   JohnnyCage Icon

• No Ragrets
  • Interests:Roadracing & Guitar
  • Ride:At the back of the expert grid

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

View Postcrash13, on 08 June 2011 - 06:41 AM, said:

Maybe we could look for a broadcasting student who wants the experience, and then of coures after a few events he gts hooked on CRA like the rest of us.

Totally on board with the anouncer... Mark, awesome idea! I have a connection at MNSU that could put me in contact with current students and alumni seeking this sort of career path. Maybe they would even allow this as some sort of unpaid student internship that could be counted towards their on-air hours. Definitely something to consider, but the only stipulation that I could think of is that the anouncer spot needs to be filled for all the weekends, so making sure that people actually commit could become an issue. It would require working directly with department supervisors to ensure the integrity of the "internship". I think this would be kinda cool... but attainable and realistic, maybe?

Also on board with Gabe's idea about ZARS and Friday practice. It will benefit not only the staff but the riders of ZARS that race in the CRA; it comes down to cost savings.

#40 User is offline   louiedude Icon

• I am a champion
  • Ride:Race 2011 ZX-10R / 2002 xr 70 / TTR125le / 2005 Eaton Beamer scooter

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

An announcer is a great idea and loved when the announcer used to do a quick interview of the top 3 finishers after each race back in the day.

I also like Mike's idea of changing the schedule, I wouldn't mind seeing the schedule run in reverse order as far as bike classes go by making MW class the last race of each grouping of races.

Edit: I also suggest running the formula 40 race on Satyrday rather than Sunday so I can beat Shoe-ski straight up before he bails and goes home and skips out on Sunday because he is to old to do 3 day race weekends anymore.

#41 User is offline   louiedude Icon

• I am a champion
  • Ride:Race 2011 ZX-10R / 2002 xr 70 / TTR125le / 2005 Eaton Beamer scooter

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

View PostSchwiz, on 08 June 2011 - 08:03 AM, said:

Also on board with Gabe's idea about ZARS and Friday practice. It will benefit not only the staff but the riders of ZARS that race in the CRA; it comes down to cost savings.

I myself do not want to be out on the track with trackday guys on a race weekend. Totally different mindset between each group of riders and how do you manage the intentions. In addition would this now eliminate the prospect of ever getting more of a national level teams/talent racing and practicing with the CRA because they (cra) are known to have trackday riders on course during and Friday CRA practice. NR's are hard enough to manage as far as experience level but at least the intention is known to be racing.

ZARS has certainly helped in making our CRA new riders more race track ready, But I'm not sure that this is best done during the same event.

#42 User is offline   Mike Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

View Postlouiedude, on 08 June 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

I myself do not want to be out on the track with trackday guys on a race weekend. Totally different mindset between each group of riders and how do you manage the intentions.

ZARS has certainly helped in making our CRA new riders more race track ready, But I'm not sure that this is best done during the same event.

Agree with both points.

Not familiar with the proposal to have ZARS host Fri practice, but it seems like it would complicate matters. What would be the point/advantage?

#43 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

I myself do not want to be out on the track with trackday guys on a race weekend. Totally different mindset between each group of riders and how do you manage the intentions. In addition would this now eliminate the prospect of ever getting more of a national level teams/talent racing and practicing with the CRA because they (cra) are known to have trackday riders on course during and Friday CRA practice. NR's are hard enough to manage as far as experience level but at least the intention is known to be racing.

I think the logic would be to have separate sessions for racers vs. trackday riders so it would not be mixed - or very minimally mixed (3 groups, level 1 would be the traditional trackday novice/intermediate, level 2 would be traditional trackday advanced + CRA slow, level 3 would be CRA med/fast). Or that's how I'd do it.

Also Aren't there several other clubs around the country that do it this way? I was under the impression the CRA was one of the few orgs left that hold a true Friday practice. Could be totally wrong.

#44 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

View PostMike, on 08 June 2011 - 08:43 AM, said:

What would be the point/advantage?

Money - from doing simple math of # of riders * Friday practice fee... on a typical Friday practice I would guess the CRA loses money every time.

#45 User is offline   skell15 Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

View PostChamp, on 08 June 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

Also Aren't there several other clubs around the country that do it this way? I was under the impression the CRA was one of the few orgs left that hold a true Friday practice. Could be totally wrong.

We are one of the few that do it this way.

View PostChamp, on 08 June 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

Money - from doing simple math of # of riders * Friday practice fee... on a typical Friday practice I would guess the CRA loses money every time.

That was one of the main points of the proposal but in reality, if we do lose money on a Friday practice it's not a massive amount. A bigger concern to me would be getting more competitors to come race with us on the weekend and then the potential loss we incur on Friday would be more than made up for with additional paid racers.

And to address changing the schedule around, it was my assumption when I first started attending race weekends as a fan that the Unlimited races were at the end of the day because they were the meanest, baddest bikes that everyone wanted to watch. Kind of a "save the best for last" type thing. I still see it that way, but could we be reaching a point where the close racing in MW could outshine the badass-ness of the UNL bikes? To me, the schedule should be laid out in a way to make the spectators want to stay until the very end.

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users