#31 User is offline   Bagels Icon

• I'm a little tea pot
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Interests:Meatballs,Tacos,& Burger
  • Ride:Often

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:04 AM

View PostJVS, on 12 November 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

That's not bad at all. Just am trying to see if it's justifiable to sell the pitbike and buy a grom or not.

Grom is fuel injected and obviously built better but am not sure if it's 2k more dollars better. Hmmm.

If you want to try one out you can ride mine anytime. For me the pitbike was work to take down the road. The grom I feel comfortable taking to/from work, events, etc. There are people with 20k+ miles on the original engine which would be BONKERS for a pit bike. It's a real motorcycle just shrunk down. A pit bike is a toy.

This may or may not be a selling point but GROM pulls bitches like nobody's business. I rolled a stoppie by a car full of hotties like Han in tokyo drift and they asked for my digits.

Another observation after gromming for a month is people seem to LOVE them. If I threw up a wheelie in 694 traffic on my ZX10 or even my pit bike I'd get a honk, a finger, or even reported to the leos. I do stoppies and wheelies when I'm bored in traffic on the grommer and people give me thumbs up, or laugh.

#32 User is offline   TLRSKUNK Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:16 R1 60th Anniversary, 2010 YZ450 Sumo/dirt, 15 Grom

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

yep stoppies and drag racing from lights and no one bats an eye.

#33 User is offline   JVS Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

I've ridden a handful of em before, know how much fun they are. Might just wait another year or two until Kawasaki comes out with their new kawi grom that's supposed to have more power.

Kinda crazy how much the groms hold their value though. Figured they'd be like 22-2400 by now

#34 User is offline   Bagels Icon

• I'm a little tea pot
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostJVS, on 12 November 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

I've ridden a handful of em before, know how much fun they are. Might just wait another year or two until Kawasaki comes out with their new kawi grom that's supposed to have more power.

Kinda crazy how much the groms hold their value though. Figured they'd be like 22-2400 by now

I picked mine up for $2500 with 1400 miles on it. Not sure if that helps benchmark what they are worth. I'm curious to see what the kawi grom does to the used honda grom market as well. But in all honesty I wouldn't wait another day to buy one if I didn't have one already. Too much fun all the time.

#35 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'17 Supersport, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '10 WR250R

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

Bagels said:

1447346256[/url]' post='1093611']
I've had mine a little less than a month and have put on 1200 miles already. At 18,000 miles it will of paid for itself in just gas savings alone compared to riding my zx10r. 4500 miles compared to my pickup lol.

Yup, under the right circumstances I easily see that. For me when I had mine it didn't make sense, I have a 40 minute freeway commute. It helps you're 20 years younger than I am as well!!!

JVS said:

1447347478[/url]' post='1093617']
That's not bad at all. Just am trying to see if it's justifiable to sell the pitbike and buy a grom or not.

Grom is fuel injected and obviously built better but am not sure if it's 2k more dollars better. Hmmm.

That was my exact thoughts and why I eventually sold it, for my use it wasn't $2k better than a scooter. If dirt is your thing the Grom works but it's not an SSR; however on the street the Grom is a hoot when speed and comfort are not your main concerns.
I did get an honest 120mpg once, usually I was flat out and it was closer to 90mpg. Nothing to sneeze at, though.

#36 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

Did you do anything with the motor?

I ride the wife's Grom on occasion (took it up HW94 25 miles to work this morning: Traffic was slow or I normally take side roads with the Grom), and I couldn't wheelie it if my life depended on it. Of course it's not my bike so I'm being a little delicate with it but I'm pretty sure revving it into red and dumping the clutch wouldn't lift the wheel. Do I need to toss back my body mass at the same time?

Hey, is that you, Bagels, with the Grom doing wheelies in the park near that big rusty ball (Sheridan Veterans Memorial) and Sip Coffeebar? I can see you doing wheelies from my office window.

Later,
Kent Larson in NE Minneapolis right now (normally Woodbury)

#37 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:22 PM

I've been riding the WR250R through the last 7 winters. I find that knobbies do no better than slicks once the snow is accumulating. The knobbies just get filled up and packed in with snow and then it's snow on snow with no grip at all. Impossible to ride during accumulating snow. Unless the roads are dry or the liquid is staying melted, I don't ride.

If you find something that will work with a few inches of snow cover, let me know. My current ride rules are 33F and above if water is falling, 10F and above if roads are dry and sky is clear.
I find the OEM rubber on this Grom a bit too loose in the wet as well. Please let me know as well if you found a better brand for wet grip.

Thanks,
Kent Larson from Woodbury

#38 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostKent Larson, on 16 November 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

I find the OEM rubber on this Grom a bit too loose in the wet as well.

Bagels found that out rather quickly

#39 User is offline   TLRSKUNK Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:16 R1 60th Anniversary, 2010 YZ450 Sumo/dirt, 15 Grom

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

Pilot Power Pure is the common upgrade for improved traction.

#40 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostJVS, on 12 November 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

Do any of you guys have loans on your groms?

What do you pay monthly?

I took Honda's 1.9% interest deal when I picked up the Grom for my wife last winter. 3 years of payments at $99.

#41 User is offline   NorthStar Icon

• Ph.D in Braapanomics
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:2 Wheels, and trouble.
  • Ride:Wheelies

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

This will be my 4th year of winter riding and my 2nd of exclusive 2 wheeled communtes. I have never used knobbies, but last year during the I Cycle ralley I saw people flying down snow packed roads. Even on full sized bikes.

I have always used street tires like conti-attack sm's, I could still ride snow packed back streets at the speed limit, but with almost no braking I took main roads and followed the groves.

After seeing how much better knobbies are in the snow I am now running distanzias.

My limits are 10* and above if wet/day, don't ride at night is it is wet and below 32. Coldest I have gone is about -2 dry/day.

Last year I only had to drive my car 2 or 3 times the whole winter.

#42 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostNorthStar, on 16 November 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

I have never used knobbies, but last year during the I Cycle ralley I saw people flying down snow packed roads. Even on full sized bikes.
I have always used street tires like conti-attack sm's, I could still ride snow packed back streets at the speed limit, but with almost no braking I took main roads and followed the groves.
After seeing how much better knobbies are in the snow I am now running distanzias.

My attempts to ride with snow on the street is limited to spinning in circles as the rear steps out sideways and just keeps going. However, that was on fresh snow and you say "snow packed roads". I don't think I ever tried a packed down snowy road. After a few failures where the fresh snow just filled up my tread and gave me ice-on-ice friction defeaters, I gave up trying and just wait for dry roads.

Maybe this year I'll try some packet snow riding and see if it's something I can handle.
I hate commuting with the truck.

#43 User is offline   Bagels Icon

• I'm a little tea pot
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostKent Larson, on 16 November 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Did you do anything with the motor?

Hey, is that you, Bagels, with the Grom doing wheelies in the park near that big rusty ball (Sheridan Veterans Memorial) and Sip Coffeebar? I can see you doing wheelies from my office window.

I don't believe so. I usually only do lot stuff unless i'm in a group and just roll stoppies at redlights along 65.

My bike is (was now) 100% stock. To do first gear wheelies you have to lean back and pop the clutch at low speeds(sub 8mph). 2nd gears you have to realllllyyyy jerk back hard and pop the clutch to get em up with stock gearing.

I started tearing down the GROM last night. I should have the knobbies on by the end of the week, I am waiting for my shop to fab up a few parts and my stunt parts to arrive yet before putting it back together. I will do a full review of the knobbies vs the snow when the white stuff starts to stick around although I'm fine with the weather holding out for a few more weeks. The last pit bike hoon ride was a blast.

Attached File(s)

#44 User is offline   Bagels Icon

• I'm a little tea pot
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:05 AM

I've got around 150 miles on the new Maxxis Knobbies now, so I will do an initial review & then add a further review after getting some wet & snow miles on them.

All comparisons are vs the OEM Vee Rubbers.

I immediately noticed a difference with how easy they tip into corners. They have a lot "rounder" profile and are a taller tire which makes dipping into the bends effortless. The second thing I noticed is the road noise on dry tarmac. They have a mild version of the hum I'm sure we've all heard when a lifted truck with over sized tires drives by. It's not annoyingly loud by any standard but noticeable over the Vee's.

Dry performance was surprisingly good. I was taking corner's with the same intensity and speed as the Vee's and didn't lose traction once. I am running 25psi front & rear and they seem to have GREAT traction. I was rolling stoppies from 30+mph without locking up the front once(on a 30 day). I am so far VERY impressed. They also handled two 180lbs adults with ease.

Off road--I have only had a few offroad/ditch miles on the tire but I once again haven't noticed any slipping. I was making it up slick grass hills without losing any speed. I'll do a more in depth review as I get some more hooligan miles on.

The Bad's--They are taller & heavier which does incite a slight decrease in low range torque. I didn't notice a power difference once into the power band, and my top speed was unaffected, however I did do the snorkel delete at the same time so it may be a biased observation. Lastly they are VERY soft knobs so burnouts and skids EAT these tires. If you are a complete hoon who loves to burnout and lock up the rear at every light, these will be costly for you! So far I give these tires 9/12 bagels.

Attached File(s)

#45 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

The Grom does look bad ass with the knobs. The pink, on the other hand... :duno:

The cage + knobs is going to look really good.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users