• You cannot reply to this topic

Comments On St Croix Trails?

#1 User is offline   aj_day Icon

• I edited this
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:77 Puch Maxi

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

Thinking about camping @ St Croix state forest with the family this weekend and riding the trails. I have never ridden there (or much of anywhere), and will be with my family of novices, including 10 and 12 year old kids. DNR trail site says the trails are all 'easiest', but I recall someone last year saying they were too sandy for kids on small bikes. Anyone ridden there this year that can comment?

We rode @ Pine City 2 weekends ago and the trails were great there, a perfect fit for the kids and their ability. Attracted to St Croix because the drive is not long, and there is camping right by the trails.

#2 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:55 AM

I can't help with your question, sorry, but looking at the map I'm excited to go there myself. There's a nice loop of about 12 miles with 3 stops for rest/snacks. I think it will be perfect as the first outing for my family. The 13 and 11 year olds both past their training day at Dirt Bike Tech this spring. As soon as the baseball season is over for my son, we will be trying out St. Croix.

Let us know what you think (if you go). I'll check in here for comments.

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury

#3 User is offline   DVS DAN Icon

• You can legally lane split if there is a Polish road block
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Goin fast & getting air
  • Ride:Naked wheelie scoot

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

It was pretty sandy in a few parts. I had a video but don't know what happenend to it. I think this was the ride that Blind Goldfish fell into a hole where a tree uprooted from, haaa

#4 User is offline   oldtymehockey Icon

• Ekim
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Coaching and feeding the addiction.
  • Ride:15 R3, 10 YZ450F, 06 TTR 230, 07 Kymco 50 Scoot,

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

Like DVS said...

There are a lot of wide open areas, some hills and moderate terrain, and some but not much tight stuff. The sand was present and challenging but didn't impeded too much of the riding of my rookie ass.

If you are talking about St. Croix Haven, double check with them. They fill up quickly and have reservations for certain weekends.

#5 User is offline   knucklee Icon

• Edited
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2013 R6 race, 09 big bore Zuma, unicycle, Triumph Daytona 675R (blowed up (TWICE!!),ducati monster 1100(Gone), road star(Also gone), exc 250(SOLD), 1989 honda vtr 250(GIVEN BACK TO ACTUAL OWNER)...Jealous?

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

You could also come down to Theilman this weekend. The golden eagles motorcycle club puts on the ride this weekend. They have a great meadow to camp, tons of well marked trails (marked for difficulty and only one way traffic) and they had a couple kids tracks last time I was there as well. It's a good time.

#6 User is offline   TLRSKUNK Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:16 R1 60th Anniversary, 2010 YZ450 Sumo/dirt, 15 Grom

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

i enjoyed it.
General Andrews is far sandier.
its mainly double track hard pack so i think they will be fine.

#7 User is offline   DVS DAN Icon

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

View Postknucklee, on 17 May 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

You could also come down to Theilman this weekend. The golden eagles motorcycle club puts on the ride this weekend. They have a great meadow to camp, tons of well marked trails (marked for difficulty and only one way traffic) and they had a couple kids tracks last time I was there as well. It's a good time.
^^^This can be great for the whole family. And 10 times less dangerous than open trails

#8 User is offline   aj_day Icon

• I edited this
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

View Postoldtymehockey, on 17 May 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

If you are talking about St. Croix Haven, double check with them. They fill up quickly and have reservations for certain weekends.

We are thinking camping at the Boulder Creek campground is our first choice, and St Croix state park #2. State Forest campgrounds do not take reservations, hoping that getting there by 11-12 on saturday is a good bet.

#9 User is offline   aj_day Icon

• I edited this
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

View Postknucklee, on 17 May 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

Heard great things about Theilman, but i hate crowds and my kids are in the super-novice category at this point. Thinking that we may try it in the fall once they have a little more experience. I will force myself to overcome my social anxiety if they get into it.

#10 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR street
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostDVS DAN, on 17 May 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

I think this was the ride that Blind Goldfish fell into a hole where a tree uprooted from, haaa

I'm so glad I turned around just in time to see him fall in! :lolsmi:

Easy trails, but that was still a good day. It was a bit flooded when we went. I almost fell in the deep water crossing, close call!

#11 User is offline   aj_day Icon

• I edited this
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

I will post in this thread in case anyone else is interested, but this is mostly for you Kent. This was our 2nd family dirt bike outing ever. We camped in the state forest, at the Boulder campground. We got there at @ 11:30am Saturday morning and there were 7-8 of 22 campsites available. My dream was to camp in a place where we could ride our dirt bikes out of our camp site to the trails. The map made it look this way at St Croix, but there were several signs that said "no OHV's on forest road between campground and trail head", and signs in the campground that said "trailer OHV's from trail head to campground".

We pitched camp and I took my 12 year old son to the trail head at the NE corner of Tamarack Forest Road on Saturday afternoon. We rode East and then South on the main loop trail that goes toward Danbury, WI. It was very sandy. My son was intimidated at first, trying to dog paddle through the deep sand corners in 1st gear. We stopped and talked about it a few times, and he started standing up and giving it gas whenever his bike got squirrely. He improved very quickly, and I think he might have gotten faster than me after an hour of riding in the sand. We rode that loop until he was thirsty and worn out, then headed back to the campground.

We saw several ATV's on the trail. They were all in control, and very courteous and accommodating. Some of them stopped to chat with us at a weigh point / shelter on the trail and talk to us about the trails.

My 10 year daughter did not ride with us on Saturday afternoon. She is not as daring, so on Sunday morning we tried the Hay Creek trail off hwy 25 to the North. I was hoping it would be less sandy, and less trafficked because it was for class I ATV's and OHM's only. It was all that. Not much elevation change, double track, not sandy at all. There was no one else there. There was a intermediately challenging creek crossing close to the end that appealed to my son, otherwise it was a great mellow trail for my somewhat fearful 10 year old daughter.

#12 User is offline   DVS DAN Icon

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

Sounds like you nailed it. The weather was perfect, and the little dude didn't get intimidated from riding. Nice work

#13 User is offline   wotan Icon

• Shot out of a cannon > squeezed out of a tube.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Aprilia RSV

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

I was at Meadow Valley a few weeks ago and suspect it may be what some of you are looking for. It has 30+ miles of double-track trails that are all run in 1 direction only. They are intermediate level but I believe almost any beginner could ride them slowly (I only crashed twice and I'm pretty awful!) Lots of switch backs and uphill/downhill sections. They are tight, relatively slow speed wooded sections and faster sections through and around farm fields on top of the bluff.

It's inexpensive and you can camp in the base area. They also have a "small bikes track" for kids and a moto track.

I blew my bike up on top of the bluff and had to wait around for an hour. Only had 4-5 bikes pass me during that time so even though this video makes it look pretty busy -- it's really not crowded at all.

(This isn't me, btw.)

https://www.youtube....h?v=GgjFQxZD5Fs

#14 User is offline   slopoke Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:takin it slo because I loves you girl
  • Ride:segway to the lrt

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

meadow needs so0me trail work. that single track is getting pretty ripped up

#15 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

View Postaj_day, on 23 May 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

...on Sunday morning we tried the Hay Creek trail off hwy 25 to the North. I was hoping it would be less sandy, and less trafficked because it was for class I ATV's and OHM's only. It was all that. Not much elevation change, double track, not sandy at all. There was no one else there. There was a intermediately challenging creek crossing close to the end that appealed to my son, otherwise it was a great mellow trail for my somewhat fearful 10 year old daughter.[/size]

Thanks for the report, AJ. That sounds ideal for our first outing this year. All the bikes are ready. Now I'm just waiting for baseball season to finish. Son's team is 3-1 with 2 months and 20 games to go.

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users