• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adopt A New Racer 2018

#16 User is offline   Spagett Icon

• Group: Newb
  • Ride:04 ZX10

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

Looking for someone to adopt me! My name is Trevor, I will be riding a 04 zx10. I plan to be at every event this season! I have done plenty of track days, now i'm moving to racing.

#17 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

View PostDschaenzer, on 09 April 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Hello everyone,

I'm David Schaenzer. I'm new to the CRA and racing, this year. I've got a 2016 Ninja 300. I'd love any tech. tips or help that anyone has. An adoption would also be lovely. I intend to make it to the May 11-13th weekend.

View PostSpagett, on 11 April 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

Looking for someone to adopt me! My name is Trevor, I will be riding a 04 zx10. I plan to be at every event this season! I have done plenty of track days, now i'm moving to racing.

Welcome guys! I'm sure someone with similar bikes will speak up and adopt you guys and show you the ropes.

#18 User is online   WillMill Icon

• Race Body Paint Guy
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:CBR600 YZ426F R3 KDX250 PE250

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm David Schaenzer. I'm new to the CRA and racing, this year. I've got a 2016 Ninja 300. I'd love any tech. tips or help that anyone has. An adoption would also be lovely. I intend to make it to the May 11-13th weekend.

If nobody else formally adopts you, I am willing to help as much as possible. Ill be arriving Thursday evening around 7:00-8:00. I try to pit in the Goodyear pavilion. I run an R3, and have teammates on Ninja 300 and 250. I corner work on Friday, but will give you any advice that I can on Thursday night, and throughout the weekend.
Will Miller
#633 Expert

#19 User is offline   Stettnichs Icon

• Here to help!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Roadracing
  • Ride:2015 Yamaha R3

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hello everyone,

Hi David,

Welcome to the club! We are glad to have you joining us.

I, too, ride a Featherweight bike. Like Will above, our group is mainly composed of R3's or Ninja 300's. We'd be happy to show you around and get into the swing of things as well.

You'll find very quickly that all of us "little bike" guys get along very well and are constantly helping each other. Will's group has helped me out on countless occasions. They are great guy's to be around and have a lot of experience with the CRA.

One of my best friends will be starting his New Rider weekend in May on an R3, so I plan on practicing with him Friday. Usually I also volunteer Friday, like Will, but the first weekend this season will be an exception. Our group will most likely be setup by the tech barn behind the dragstrip grandstand. We will be arriving Thursday evening. You're welcome to join us too!

Best,

Sean Stettnichs
#92 Expert

#20 User is offline   Dschaenzer Icon

• Ride:2016 Ninja 300

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

Thank you for the hospitality. It seems an R3 is the bike to be on. I have a quick tire question, open to anyone. I've got new Battleaxe 70/130 and 70/110 currently on the bike (they came with it when I bought it). Should I bother replacing those, for this first weekend? I'm not certain I'll be pulling every ounce from my tires, since this is my first time on a track. I appreciate the input. Thanks again, guys.

#21 User is offline   Stettnichs Icon

• Here to help!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Roadracing
  • Ride:2015 Yamaha R3

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

View PostDschaenzer, on 03 May 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

Thank you for the hospitality. It seems an R3 is the bike to be on. I have a quick tire question, open to anyone. I've got new Battleaxe 70/130 and 70/110 currently on the bike (they came with it when I bought it). Should I bother replacing those, for this first weekend? I'm not certain I'll be pulling every ounce from my tires, since this is my first time on a track. I appreciate the input. Thanks again, guys.

What are the specific model Bridgestone Battlax's you are running? That info will give us a better idea if we would recommend them on the track.

#22 User is offline   POE Icon

• Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR race x2
    SV650 race
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    YZ250F

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:12 AM

If you consider yourself an average rider, and don't expect to be faster than the average rider that has never been on track before, IMO you'll be just fine. And if, for some Godforsaken reason, the weather doesn't play nice, street tires do fine on a not-dry surface if you're not pushing really hard.

If you have some track days under your belt at DCTC or similar 'faster-than-street' experience, I think you'll still be able to get away with the stock tires well enough. Depends on how much edge grip you're going to ask of your tire at big lean angles.

With all that said, it's also important to note that the psychological effect of having good tires is definitely a factor. If you don't want to worry if you have grip or not, just get better tires. It's likely worth the peace of mind and just one more thing you don't have to think about.

Disclaimer: I'm not a featherweight racer. I'm not familiar with stock R3 tires. Kyle (2K) is the Bridgestone guy. If you can get a hold of him, he should be able to answer any questions.

#23 User is online   WillMill Icon

• Race Body Paint Guy
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:CBR600 YZ426F R3 KDX250 PE250

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

If you can afford them, get some D.O.T. Race tires. I dont do Friday practice or track days, but have gotten twelve race weekends out of a front, and 10 weekends out of a rear. Having said that, if you aren't a track day rider, and you are new to the track, Im sure those tires will be just fine for your first weekend. Just dont late brake into the corners. Feel out the traction that those tires have before pushing too hard. Maybe run them a few pounds lower on pressure to make for a bigger contact patch, and maybe a little more grip.

#24 User is offline   wrds Icon

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

So as a Newbie what do we register for next week? Friday Practice and the Sprint race of our class?

#25 User is offline   re tired Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Rukus, 09 Ultra Classic, 2015 FZ 07

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

View Postwrds, on 05 May 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

So as a Newbie what do we register for next week? Friday Practice and the Sprint race of our class?

Providing you successfully complete the New Rider School during the day on Friday and the New Rider Race (4:35 pm Friday afternoon), you could then sign up for any class appropriate race you choose. Excluding specialty races like Trophy Dashes or endurance races. Have a ball and let er buck. For instance, novice middleweight supersport, novice middleweight superbike, novice middleweight gp, etc.

On your next race event you would be eligible for any class appropriate novice race or may even bump up 1 class. For instance to heavyweight novice this or that.

You can't pre-reg for races before completing the requirements so you would register Friday evening or Saturday morning.
It's all in the rule book available online either here or the CRA website.

#26 User is offline   Tyykila731 Icon

• Pip
  • Ride:2014 CBR600RR

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:46 PM

View Postre tired, on 05 May 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

you could then sign up for any class appropriate race you choose. Excluding specialty races like Trophy Dashes or endurance races. Have a ball and let er buck. For instance, novice middleweight supersport, novice middleweight superbike, novice middleweight gp, etc.

On your next race event you would be eligible for any class appropriate novice race or may even bump up 1 class. For instance to heavyweight novice this or that.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm on a MW, the only races I'm eligible for this first weekend are the MWSS on Saturday and MMSB on Sunday?

#27 User is offline   re tired Icon

• PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Rukus, 09 Ultra Classic, 2015 FZ 07

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostTyykila731, on 05 May 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm on a MW, the only races I'm eligible for this first weekend are the MWSS on Saturday and MMSB on Sunday?

Looking at the schedule, you have MW Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon as well. Most new riders complete their corner work requirement their first weekend too so that's costs you half a day.

Kind of a wonky weekend with the new Michelin Cup, Farmstead Cup and Trophy Dashes all on same weekend. You'll be plenty busy with new rider stuff all day Friday, 3 races and corner working, if you decide to get that done.

I can't wait to watch your ginormous new rider race!

#28 User is offline   Champ Icon

• ziggy zaggy...
  • Group: Admin
  • Ride:2001 SV 650S

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

View PostTyykila731, on 05 May 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

You can also run the Michelin Cup, and I believe this year we lifted the restriction of no new riders during the Trophy Dash, so take a look at that as well.

#29 User is offline   POE Icon

• Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR race x2
    SV650 race
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    YZ250F

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

View Postre tired, on 06 May 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

I can't wait to watch your ginormous new rider race!

Should be a great one!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users