MNSBR: Looking for a new sporty bike - MNSBR

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for a new sporty bike Any advice?

#1 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:'17 Supersport, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '04 WR450F

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

I'm looking for some real advice or some ideas, I hope there's enough people still on here to lend some knowledge.

I'm looking at possibly picking up another real sportbike again. It's been a few years on my Triumph Sprint GT and the CBR650F and while both are fun, they are not a legit SPORTBIKE. I've not been riding as much as I used but a couple times a year I've been going down south and playing in the Smoky Mountians and think it'd be fun to have something to go play in this fall with the guys and be a real old school sportbike for this trip. If I want to be comfy I ride the Sprint, I'm wanting fun.

Couple of bikes I'm thinking of:
- Clean used CBR929RR (had one years ago, put 35k on it, still my favorite bike of all time)
- Clean used RC51 SP2 (always wanted one, heard they are VERY uncomfortable)
- Clean used Triumph Daytona 675 (heard they are small but fun, probably stick to 12 or older because comfy seats and helibars are available for them)
- Clean used 2014 MV Augusta F3 800, or new leftover (it's beautiful, exotic, and would be a cool toy, heard they have teething problems)
- New CBR1000RR (can get a leftover 2017 for a solid price)
- Newer style R1 (heard they get very hot and get crappy fuel mileage. A couple people I know bought them and sold them right away they were so uncomfortable to road ride)
- Used BMW S1000RR (more than I want to pay for a used bike, but maybe?)
- Another 600RR (loved my '11, fairly comfortable but really close to my 650F, I'd rather have some more HP, but an HRC 14+ might be cool)
- 2018 Ducati Supersport S

So I'm big, fat and slow, and comfort is a factor. I don't need a tourer but I'll spend a few hours on it at a time and don't want to be spending the rest of the nights trying to put my back and hips back into alignment. Anyone with real experience on any of these bikes care to lend some real world info? If this trip goes well I'll sell my 650F and possibly the Thruxton in the spring and keep the Sprint and sporty bike. I'll probably sell both right away, I dont need 4 street bikes, if I decide to go new 1000RR or new Duc. I really am lusting over the MV but it's such an unknown, no real knowledge of them.

Discuss..........

#2 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• 300,000+ miles served
  • Interests:Riding fuel injected, liquid-cooled, 2 wheeled motorbikes.
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. 2006 Harley V-Rod. 03 Yamaha YZF-R1. 2018 YZ250FX.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:27 PM

I loved my Triumph Daytona 675R on the curvy stuff. Anything straight for more than 30 miles was murder. Even with adjustable rearsets.

My MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR is fun, has Ohlins and Brembos, handles great in the twisties. Especially for an upright style bike.
I have ridden a F3 with the 675 engine but have not ridden any of their 800s yet.

I love love love my S1000RR Premium. Great motor. Especially the 2015+.
Handles better than the Daytona did, killer brakes, sweet suspension, 199 horsepower, cruise control, heated grips (!), and decent enough ergos that I've done several 300+ mile rides here in Minnesota without too much discomfort.

I am a fan of the CBR1000RR. Love the updates that have been done since my '08 that I had.

Have not ridden the current gen R1. In fact I have not ridden a crossplane ever.
I am such a huge fan of the '02/'03 models. I am on my third one.

Just some random info for ya. Might not help, but hey...we are talking sport bikes on a sport bike forum! Hellz yeah.

#3 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:19 AM

Torchsport said:

1534390059[/url]' post='1120376']
I loved my Triumph Daytona 675R on the curvy stuff. Anything straight for more than 30 miles was murder. Even with adjustable rearsets.

My MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR is fun, has Ohlins and Brembos, handles great in the twisties. Especially for an upright style bike.
I have ridden a F3 with the 675 engine but have not ridden any of their 800s yet.

Handles better than the Daytona did, killer brakes, sweet suspension, 199 horsepower, cruise control, heated grips (!), and decent enough ergos that I've done several 300+ mile rides here in Minnesota without too much discomfort.

I am a fan of the CBR1000RR. Love the updates that have been done since my '08 that I had.

Have not ridden the current gen R1. In fact I have not ridden a crossplane ever.

Just some random info for ya. Might not help, but hey...we are talking sport bikes on a sport bike forum! Hellz yeah.

No, this helps a lot. I've been out of the "scene" a while and have been shying away from anything too aggressive but I think I want to play in that sandbox again. My thinking is if I have a comfy, two up bike, my other comfy, two up bike just sits. Why not have something cool hanging out?

What did you think of the MV 675? The 800 is a 675 with more power so it should be a fairly straight comparison, say to the Triumph 675 as far as egos go. My worry with a leftover '14 is the work it needs out of the box: tires, fluids, battery, etc. and service seems sketchy right now after talking to Heinans last week. Good price on a new MV Agusta, however.

I've been thinking about an S1000RR more and more, good to know the 15+ is the one to get. Thing is I can get a new CBR for the price of a used BMW and I've really been shying away from used when I can because motorcycles get BEAT and while they can take most of it, I end up spending so much time, money and effort undoing stupid mods and broken, worn out crap, it's nit worth it. And it's my job to break stuff and mod it stupidly.

My top runners right now are: MV F3 800, S1000RR, CBR1000RR and the Ducati Supersport S. If I went 929, it'd have to be cheap and clean, not too many of them around after 17 years. Looking at RC51s it's the same thing though a bit more pricey. I've always wanted one, but know my body isn't in the shape it once was to deal with it. And Triumph 675s are so cheap and plentiful its almost sick!!!

Lots of good deals around again, hate that end of year thing. If Yamaha would do the 900 triple in a sportbike chassis itd be a no brainer.

Decisions.

#4 User is offline   CBR rider Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:16 S1000RR, 04 919, CRF230F, 07 Ninja 250R

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:57 AM

PM incoming.

#5 User is offline   Vrooom Icon

• Its coming rite at me!!!!!!
  • Ride:sold !2012 Gsxr 750,sold!2011 Ninja 1000 Sport tour thang"sold" ,09 Ktm 690 SMC Vrooom Vrooom!!! 06 Red GSXR 750 Sold!!!, 11 YzF 450 SuperTard/Mx

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:07 AM

I currently have ktm 1290 superduke. Great all around for trips and curves. But I have always wanted a s1000r there is just something about them and any bike with cruise would be great in my mind.

#6 User is offline   Stinger01929 Icon

• schweeeet
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:'98 PC800 Red, '11 DR-Z400S White, '11 Yamaha FZ8, '15 Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

I see your 'comfort is a factor' comment and none of those bikes makes me think comfort.

Ninja 1000, FZ1, Monster come to mind.

I put many miles on my 929 also and I had a Ninja 1000 for a weekend. I thought that might be my next bike. Because the straights were almost has fun has the twisties.

But the Adv bug bit and I have a Multistrada now. But my FZ8 is a fun day bike and would be better if I put a new suspension on it. The old, big, fat part of me makes it squishy.

#7 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that goes bwaaaAAAAAAAAA
  • Ride:1000rr Race. Jonahs old fiddy.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

Torchsport, on 15 August 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

What updates have they done to the new CBRs? I didn't think they had done any?

OP I would lean towards a used 08+ honda 1000rr. Torque is nice and low so whoolies on to the freeway are fun. Also bullet proof reliability. But you got some nice other options there so have fun!

#8 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:04 AM

Stinger01929, on 16 August 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

I see your 'comfort is a factor' comment and none of those bikes makes me think comfort.

Ninja 1000, FZ1, Monster come to mind.

I put many miles on my 929 also and I had a Ninja 1000 for a weekend. I thought that might be my next bike. Because the straights were almost has fun has the twisties.

But the Adv bug bit and I have a Multistrada now. But my FZ8 is a fun day bike and would be better if I put a new suspension on it. The old, big, fat part of me makes it squishy.

I get what I am saying is an oxymoron, just know I already have a big, comfy two up heavy traveling bike like the FZ1, FZ8, Ninja 1000, etc., my Triumph Sprint GT, and want something light and fun. I just don't want something that is awful for a 6'3", 240lb sack of taters.

Marls, on 16 August 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

What updates have they done to the new CBRs? I didn't think they had done any?

OP I would lean towards a used 08+ honda 1000rr. Torque is nice and low so whoolies on to the freeway are fun. Also bullet proof reliability. But you got some nice other options there so have fun!

CBR1000RR was "all" new in 2017; lighter, faster, all the electronic crap, etc. It's a sweet little bike thats a possibility based on the price I can get a leftover for.

Thanks for the help!!!

Bikes I've had in the past along the lines I am thinking: Superhawk, CBR929RR, CBR954RR, 06 CBR1000RR, 11 CBR600RR. All of have been somewhat comfortable (at least for an hour or so), fast, fun, and a hoot to ride. A new CBR1000RR would be the easy choice, but I am looking for other ideas to break the Honda mold if there are any.

#9 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• 300,000+ miles served
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. 2006 Harley V-Rod. 03 Yamaha YZF-R1. 2018 YZ250FX.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Seems you are leaning towards the CBR1000RR. Not a bad choice if you went that way. Especially if the price is nice.
I was always impressed by the ungodly power of my '08. Now with the updates I'm sure it's one hell of a package.
I put about 13k trouble free miles on mine, then sold it to a member here who went on to crash it...

I didn't spend enough time on the F3 to know how the ergos would be. Rode it just a few miles. Seemed zippy and light. But comfort may be tight like the Daytona after a few dozen miles.

#10 User is offline   Vrooom Icon

• Its coming rite at me!!!!!!
  • Ride:sold !2012 Gsxr 750,sold!2011 Ninja 1000 Sport tour thang"sold" ,09 Ktm 690 SMC Vrooom Vrooom!!! 06 Red GSXR 750 Sold!!!, 11 YzF 450 SuperTard/Mx

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:27 PM

I just don't want something that is awful for a 6'3", 240lb sack of taters.

Thats me except for the sack of taters Im more like carrots. I had Ninja 1000 and it got boring. Not the bike for the twisties. The Big Vtwin motors do make me giggle. Thats why I got my 1290.

#11 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:50 PM

Those 1290R's are nuts. The power is just crazy. And unlike a sport bike, the power is in the usable range you mostly use on the street vs way up top on a sport bike. But, there is something to be said about having sport geometry. Have you thought of an Aprillia RSV Mille twin? It has a nice sport chassis with a big torquey twin. Or would you just go Ducati at that point?

#12 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• 300,000+ miles served

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:20 PM

I've never been a fan of the vee two. I have ridden a 1290 SD. It was fast.
I just prefer the wail of an inline.

What do you like best Mike?

#13 User is offline   CJMike Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:2010 Aprilia Tuono Factory

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

I like my Aprilia Tuono. Great all around bike.

#14 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

POE said:

1534445410[/url]' post='1120386']
Those 1290R's are nuts. The power is just crazy. And unlike a sport bike, the power is in the usable range you mostly use on the street vs way up top on a sport bike. But, there is something to be said about having sport geometry. Have you thought of an Aprillia RSV Mille twin? It has a nice sport chassis with a big torquey twin. Or would you just go Ducati at that point?

Yeah, Id probably just go with the Duc if I wanted a new twin. A used Aprilia would be nice but they are hard to find.

Torchsport said:

1534447206[/url]' post='1120387']
I've never been a fan of the vee two. I have ridden a 1290 SD. It was fast.
I just prefer the wail of an inline.

What do you like best Mike?

Honestly, before I bought my Sprint, a Super Duke GT was the top choice as a replacement. I still like it but weight wise its heavier than my 650 though lighter than the Triumph. I worry if I bought one of those Id have two like bikes, though I know of a couple used ones for decent prices. Wonder how aggressive I can get on one?

Im not sure what I like best. The MV would be a fun bike, but the dealer support and age of it has me concerned, as do the ergos. The Ducati would be the safe choice, a bit exotic, comfy, full dealer support, etc. But the deal of the group is the Honda CBR, and thats right now where most of my head is pushing me.
Decisions, decisions :)

#15 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:07 AM

Regarding the Duc, a good friend in Vancouver has a Multistrada. He rides often, far, and hard. It's pretty much the perfect bike for him, other than the fact that Ducati makes it very difficult to work on your own bike. (He's fully competent to do his own service and worked as a mechanic for several years.) The first valve adjustment costs $2000, Canadian at the dealer. As I understand it, to get the belt tension right, the service computer "listens" to the twang the belt makes when it's plucked. My friend found a guy in California who rents an "equivalent" tool along with an assortment of shims -- and you pay for the shims you actually use.

Another surprise is that a fluid change in the electronically-controlled forks costs $600. Apparently, even though my friend owns the factory service manual, there's little to no info on the forks. He was so outraged that he bought another set of forks on eBay for a couple hundred bucks and plans to figure out how to do the fluid change himself.

For me, being able to easily fix the motorcycle myself is an important criterion in the selection process. Any performance advantage of the desmo head is far outweighed by its additional service complications.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users