• You cannot reply to this topic

Bird Dogs, who has one?

#1 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:2007 Kawasaki ZZR600

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

I sold the ZZR November of 2017. After my crash my back doesnt allow me to go on long rides like I use too, and I didn't enjoy it anymore. I rode once a week and that was to get through traffic faster on Thursdays so I could get to Trap Shooting on time.

Trap shooting became my new main interest, can not and could not get enough of it. Thursdays in Delano for league and Sundays in Buffalo for fun. I had been pheasant hunting before but was not really any good. Shot a bunch but I do not think I hit a single bird. I went out again after trap shooting for a while, and found "my calling" if you will, something I was good at and I liked. There was one problem though, I did not have a dog. I could go by myself but the birds would just run and I wasn't about to run around and flush them myself, then shoot while out of breath. I then started researching bird dogs. Which one and why. Which one would work best for me. I ended up finding a breeder out of Bemidji (on a side note, I hope I never have to visit that town again, there is really nothing up there worth writing home to mom about.) In June I picked up a yellow lab from Bird Dog Labs LLC. Best decision I have made in a long time. This dog has a blood line of champion labs and is smart as a whip.
When she was about 8 months old, I let her outside and there was a Robin on the top of the hill. The little shit hauled ass straight for the bird and caught it as it was trying to fly away. My dog had it in its mouth, didn't try to kill it, held on to it and looked at me like, "So, I caught this thing, but I am not sure what to do with it now." I knew I better get her into bird training as soon as I could. I searched and searched for a trainer. I finally found one out of South Dakota that seemed pretty decent. I found several in Minnesota for cheap. Talking to a few guys that have great dogs, they said to spend the money and send her to Black Hills Gun dogs. The owners name is Dave, and after talking to the guy for 45 minutes, you could tell he knows what he is doing. I watched his videos online and made my decision.
This Saturday I send her off for the first of many weeks of training. First she goes for two weeks to get gun and bird training, then another four weeks for obedience training and more bird training. After that, there is more classes that I could take but I am not sure if I will. I am not hunting with Ron Schara and don't need that kind of dog, but who knows.

#2 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

I had a football coach that would always yell "BIRD DOG!" when he wanted players to get in a 3-point stance.

You should buy a Grom.

I have nothing to say about actual bird dogs.

#3 User is offline   Apex Icon

• Robocop
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Street: 2003 SV650 Track: 2000 SV650

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   re tired Icon

• PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Rukus, 09 Ultra Classic, 2015 FZ 07

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

I have given up bird hunting but have had a number of great dogs in the past. Black and Yellow Labs were the best and my favorite for mixed, waterfowl and upland hunting. There are better dogs for just Pheasant hunting and maybe better dogs for just waterfowl hunting but you will NEVER find a better all around hunter/family pet/best friend than a lab. And in the woods after grouse they are unbeatable. Ah, the memories. Good choice.

As for Bemidji, you know what they say about opinions.
:lolol:

#5 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:35 PM

View Postre tired, on 06 February 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

I have given up bird hunting but have had a number of great dogs in the past. Black and Yellow Labs were the best and my favorite for mixed, waterfowl and upland hunting. There are better dogs for just Pheasant hunting and maybe better dogs for just waterfowl hunting but you will NEVER find a better all around hunter/family pet/best friend than a lab. And in the woods after grouse they are unbeatable. Ah, the memories. Good choice.

As for Bemidji, you know what they say about opinions.
:lolol:

I dont know what I am doing for waterfowl. I have asked a few people I know if/when they go if I could tag a long and learn the ropes if they had room. Many had said yes, but the calls never came. I think next year I am going to go by myself. I have to find a boat and do all of my research on what I can hunt, where, and what licences I need. But with do time.

#6 User is offline   cb186 Icon

• Zach "i'll crash yours too" Hughes
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:04 R6 racebike

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:06 AM

View PostZZR Joel, on 06 February 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I dont know what I am doing for waterfowl. I have asked a few people I know if/when they go if I could tag a long and learn the ropes if they had room. Many had said yes, but the calls never came. I think next year I am going to go by myself. I have to find a boat and do all of my research on what I can hunt, where, and what licences I need. But with do time.

I have given up on duck hunting. I have gone to NoDak in the past a couple times, but mostly a Minnesota hunter. I have always hunted south of Marshal on small public spots, but the birds just dont show up anymore. If you can get in with a group of guys that hunt bigger water, that it where you should try.

I'm going to try doing more pheasant hunting, but will probably do more game farms than anything.

#7 User is offline   Foss Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Ride:FZ07R

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

German Shorthairs top the list for me. I grew up around Brittany, English Springer, and Shorthairs. I've never been crazy about flushing dogs, and think the rush when they lock up on point is hard to beat. The low maintenance hair is definitely a perk. Combing out a tangled mess of burs at the end of a long day in the woods or kick back by a fire with a cold beer? Not a tough choice in my opinion. We only do grouse and pheasant. Despite what others have told me, all the shorthairs I've been around would make terrible duck dogs. I've always wanted to give coon hunting a go, and we came close to bringing home a hound a few weeks ago. Instead we picked up this little girl.

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:51 AM

Foss, you bring your pup to the track at all? I don't recall seeing your dog around. I have zero experience with shorthairs but I'm taking notes for when I get around to dog shopping.

#9 User is offline   Foss Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Ride:FZ07R

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:16 AM

View PostPOE, on 07 February 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

Foss, you bring your pup to the track at all? I don't recall seeing your dog around. I have zero experience with shorthairs but I'm taking notes for when I get around to dog shopping.

We have in the past. It gets to be a lot for Erin to watch dogs and kids, so they spent most of the time tied up or in the camper when the track was hot.

#10 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'17 Supersport, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '04 WR450F

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

View PostFoss, on 07 February 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

so they spent most of the time tied up or in the camper when the track was hot.

The kids or the dogs? :)

#11 User is offline   crakerjac Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Newb

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:13 AM

Another vote for lab. We always hunted with yellow labs. If you can get them to calm the F down, they make decent bird dogs.

#12 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2003 600rr track, 2012 V-Star1300 street

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:23 AM

I don't hunt but my well-behaved mixed-breed rescue dogs sure wish I did

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   WillMill Icon

• Race Body Paint Guy
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:CBR600 YZ426F R3 KDX250 PE250

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

View Postcb186, on 07 February 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

I have given up on duck hunting. I have gone to NoDak in the past a couple times, but mostly a Minnesota hunter. I have always hunted south of Marshal on small public spots, but the birds just dont show up anymore. If you can get in with a group of guys that hunt bigger water, that it where you should try.

I'm going to try doing more pheasant hunting, but will probably do more game farms than anything.

I do quite a bit of duck hunting, and haven't missed a season in many years. Ive noticed that about the last three years maybe, I haven't seen the big flocks like I have in the past. I have quite a bit of private hunting area, and usually stick to big water. My theory on the bad hunting is due to high water levels. There are flooded fields everywhere. There are tons of little puddles for the birds to land in, which nobody is hunting and kicking them up. I could be wrong, but that is my belief. Im hoping for a drought year, and see what happens..

#14 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• 300,000+ miles served
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Riding fuel injected, liquid-cooled, 2 wheeled motorbikes.
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. 2006 Harley V-Rod. 03 Yamaha YZF-R1. 2018 YZ250FX.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

There are definitely 2 different camps. Flushing and pointing. I'm a pointer guy. I had a weimaraner and have hunted with German shorthairs/wirehairs, Brittanys and Vizlas.
As Foss said nothing more exciting than walking up to a pointer that has a bird locked down.
But thats me. I haven't hunted with flushers much.
Have fun with the new pup. Good memories ahead.

I actually enjoy pheasant and grouse hunting way more than any other game. Good exercise and more satisfying IMO.

#15 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:15 PM

With your pointers, do they smell the bird and then point to where it is? Then you just walk towards that area?
Sorry for the extreme stupid question. I have only hunted with labs.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users