• You cannot reply to this topic

Software Project motorcycle front end geometry calculator

#1 User is offline   seb Icon

• lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ
  • Pip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:1985 FJ 1100

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

I took a stab at hacking together a motorcycle geometry calculator to see how far I could get using what I already knew (lots of forgotten trig and minimal HTML canvas). Came out not to bad, gave me some ideas for moving onto more complex topics but also reservations.

What I did so far allows you to enter stock measurements, then see what new measurements will be when you alter the rear axle position, fork, wheel size, etc.

https://sebwiers.git...ycle-front-end/

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   punter Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:As hard as I can and still make it to work on Monday.

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

Very cool!!!!! I have the motospec program and Lucas is also working on a similar program.

You should talk with him for sure.

#3 User is offline   punter Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:As hard as I can and still make it to work on Monday.

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

If you want to check out motospec sometime let me know. It has a lot of the things you are looking to develop. Might be a good tool to see how your program develops

#4 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

Had not heard of MotoSPEC. Here's a link: http://www.motospec.ca/

I find it interesting that it is becoming impossible to buy software anymore. It's either freeware or a yearly license fee.

It seems petty to me that "shipping of the USB license dongle is additional" and not included with your first $1095 license.

#5 User is offline   seb Icon

• lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ
  • Pip

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

I haven't heard of Motospec. Looks like its a more-expensive / data-loaded version of the software Tony Foale sells. https://www.tonyfoal...in/MC_setup.htm

Tony straight up sells his software, but his rights management is a bit annoying. You have to email him a crypto-hash provided by the program when you install it on a machine, and then he emails you a response hash to unlock the program. You need to do that each time you move to a new machine, which is what Motospec is trying to avoid with their dongle, and I'm sure people can see some issues with both Tony's and Motospec's methods. Compared with either of those, "software as a service" makes a huge amount of sense if you are going to be trying to make money "selling" the software. The downside to SAS is it requires the user to have a net connection - which apparently a lot of race tracks do NOT offer. You could maybe offer an offline version, much like Steam (where the program is installed and Steam just does rights management at install time & when online).

The reason so much software is free these days is that the creators (aside from being idealists supporting "free as in speech software" for whatever reasons) are either doing it as a learning project or trying to sell their skill as programmers / designers etc, using the software as a free sample. All three apply in my case.

My project is actually (and obviously if you look at the design and name) inspired by Tony's Funny Front End (FFE) software. I'm moving towards kinematics very slowly (if ever) and want to handle slider forks and combos that use sliders (tele-lever and similar) as well. I think Tony's motorcycle setup software (linked to above) does basic slider forks, and it now also can share data with his FFE software (not sure exactly to what capacity, but I'd assume for whatever tasks require front / rear data in either). If in the market, give his stuff a look, at 10% the cost of Motospec it seems well worth the money.

#6 User is offline   seb Icon

• lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ
  • Pip

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

View Postpunter, on 10 March 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

... Lucas is also working on a similar program.

You should talk with him for sure.

Not sure who "Lucas" is. User search didn't turn anything up.

I did a pretty big update (though still not file name change) in that the URL now has a hash that reflects the form data. So, if you want to "save" or share a setup, all you need to do is bookmark it or share the link. Eventually it will be more sophisticated than that (allowing saving to the dropdown list) but this was a stepping stone that needed to happen to allow that (the dropdown list will essentially just save / load url hashes, instead of the stupid custom encoding I had in there).

As an example, visiting this URL gives you a modified version of the setup that appears first in the dropdown: https://sebwiers.git...O0bNU-2bRO0bRU3

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users