MNSBR: Anyone Here Get A Moped Plated Scooter For A 15-Year-Old? - MNSBR

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone Here Get A Moped Plated Scooter For A 15-Year-Old?

#1 User is offline   CheesyRider Icon

• I have no idea what's going on.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:'15 Honda F6B, '17 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

So, I purchased a 49cc moped plated scooter for my 15-year-old son. He took the classroom course and passed the written test. Then, I attempted to schedule the road test online. It turns out one can schedule a drivers test or a motorcycle test online, but not a moped test. I called the DMV number was put on hold for what seemed an eternity and then the person who answered the phone didn't have a clue about scheduling a moped test, so I was told someone would call me back. Miraculously, I received a call back within a few minutes and scheduled the test at the Arden Hills location.

When we arrived at the testing area, there where three motorcyclists that took the test before us. They all failed. Then it was my son's turn. First the tester was confused by the "Agility 50" decal on the side of the scooter. "You need to have a 49cc to qualify as a moped", he said. I told him it was 49cc, but he didn't believe me. So, we looked for the displacement on the engine, but couldn't find it. Then I pulled the specs up on my smart phone and he was then satisfied. This was not starting well. Then, he seemed confused on how he should test a moped rider. "Um, do figure 8s over here" he said. Then he didn't know what to do next, so he asked another DMV guy what to do. They talked for a bit and then had my son go to the car testing area. He went around the block and made a bone headed move and failed (note to self, have him take the test in the morning next time).

So now I have to schedule a re-test this time after being on hold and then told they would call back, they never did.

This has been an agrivating experience. I'm interested in hearing what it was like for others who have had their kids get moped licenses.

#2 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2007 Kawasaki ZZR600

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

I know that the Motorcycle test is first come first serve in Plymouth (or it was years ago.) They have it on Tuesdays and Thursdays I believe. I would try them, and maybe not go to Arden Hills if they were having that much of a problem.

#3 User is offline   CheesyRider Icon

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, I'll probably just do it without an appointment if they don't get back to me. The bright side of my son needing to retake the test is I'll probably get some entertainment out of watching the motorcycle tests while we wait. The last time a guy on a big twin Harley dropped his bike. The Ninja 600 guy put his feet down too many times. And, the guy on a Ninja 250, after an impressive cone weave and u-turn performance, accidentally hit the throttle too hard while accelerating for the braking test and had a spectacular crash. He would have been seriously fucked if he had been on a super sport. Luckily he had decent gear on, except for his pants, and walked away with only skinned knees. Unlucky for him his mint condition 1st generation Ninja 250 was all scraped up on one side and would not start. He was a nice kid. I felt bad for him.

#4 User is offline   H8Tank Icon

• G'day
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:FZ09, ATK605, Indian Roadmaster

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

Wow, what a crock. I've copied and sent your story off to a friend at the DPS. I'll post his answer if I get one.

#5 User is offline   H8Tank Icon

• G'day
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

Here's what I got back ...
"Here’s a link to the operator’s manual: https://dps.mn.gov/d...cycleManual.pdf . It describes the moped test evaluations on page VI and VII. I think they use the figure 8 as a warm up and to see if the rider has control of the moped before sending them onto the driving course with other traffic, but your best source of information on this would be to call the exam services coordinator, Kathy Childs. She’s at 651-628-6751."

From the manual ...
Moped Operator’s Permit
Skills Test
You must pass a skills test to obtain
a moped operator’s permit.
When you take your skills test, you
must bring:
• Your 30-day moped operator’s
instruction permit.
• Current proof of insurance for
the moped used for testing.
• A DOT-approved helmet and eye
protection.
You will not be allowed to test if
you do not have all of the above items.
A parental approval slip is required
for persons under age 18. Approval
forms are available at license exam
stations.
The moped operator’s permit skills
test consists of:
• Starting
• Tight circles
• Quick stop
• Turns (right and left)
• Lane changing
• Stop signs and/or traffic lights
• Right of way
This test is conducted on public streets,
unlike the motorcycle skills test. Upon
successful completion of the skills test
you will need to apply for a moped
operator’s permit.

Hope you get it sorted out.

#6 User is offline   CheesyRider Icon

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:20 AM

Thanks! It's good to know they administered the test correctly. I'll try calling Kathy Childs.

#7 User is offline   DVS DAN Icon

• You can legally lane split if there is a Polish road block
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Goin fast & getting air
  • Ride:Naked wheelie scoot

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

I passed my motorcycle test on some Asian girl's moped. 4 or 5 of us passed on it. She did not, LOL

#8 User is offline   CheesyRider Icon

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

My son passed the test yesterday! It was his third attempt. The second test fail wasn't really his fault. The scooter kept stalling. Before his third test, I did some work on the scooter to make sure it would run perfectly.

I told him if likes having a scooter, I'd upgrade to a 125cc next year. Of course then, he'll need his motorcycle license. Does anyone know if they have any scooters in the motorcycle class. He has very little interest in learning to use a clutch. I offered to teach him to drive a manual in my wife's car, but he'd rather drive my full size conversion van. He's never going to get any dates if he pulls to a girl's house up in a conversion van.

#9 User is offline   mr_e Icon

• Hooligan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Freelance Gynecology.
  • Ride:Tarded

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

Eagan has their shit together. My oldest got his ped license there.

#10 User is offline   H8Tank Icon

• G'day
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:36 AM

View PostCheesyRider, on 08 June 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

My son passed the test yesterday! It was his third attempt. The second test fail wasn't really his fault. The scooter kept stalling. Before his third test, I did some work on the scooter to make sure it would run perfectly.

I told him if likes having a scooter, I'd upgrade to a 125cc next year. Of course then, he'll need his motorcycle license. Does anyone know if they have any scooters in the motorcycle class. He has very little interest in learning to use a clutch.

Congrats to him!

The MSF does not have or use scooters in the class. There is always the option of using your own scooter or motorcycle, but it is highly discouraged. We have always used the crash scenario as an example. ie: What if another student loses control and runs into you? Not MSF's problem and an insurance hassle for the rider(s).

I'd get him a scooter, then find a MSF range near you and go practice the drills that are on the driving test at the DMV, then go take the riding test at the DMV. Easy money.

#11 User is offline   CheesyRider Icon

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostH8Tank, on 09 June 2016 - 08:36 AM, said:

Congrats to him!

The MSF does not have or use scooters in the class. There is always the option of using your own scooter or motorcycle, but it is highly discouraged. We have always used the crash scenario as an example. ie: What if another student loses control and runs into you? Not MSF's problem and an insurance hassle for the rider(s).

I'd get him a scooter, then find a MSF range near you and go practice the drills that are on the driving test at the DMV, then go take the riding test at the DMV. Easy money.

Thanks! He's been enjoying his newfound freedom.

In MN, the class is required if under 18. I'll probably just buy a cheap 125cc scooter ahead of time and have him use that for the class.

#12 User is offline   george d Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • Pip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:Ducati 900ss, Honda MB5, rossi rep pit scooter

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

Both my boys took the MSF course at 15 & 16 to get their "Moped" license. The older boy received his motorcycle endorsement automatically. 15 year old had to take it again when he got his license. Its so convoluted.

#13 User is offline   Marls Icon

• Marls
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that goes bwaaaAAAAAAAAA
  • Ride:1000rr Race. Jonahs old fiddy.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostDVS DAN, on 13 May 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

I passed my motorcycle test on some Asian girl's moped. 4 or 5 of us passed on it. She did not, LOL

LOL thats awesome! well accept her not passing. A guy had a small motard that me and a few other guys took the test on. It was super easy lol. And super nice that the guy let all of us who showed up on sport bikes take it on his tard lol.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users