• You cannot reply to this topic

2006 Honda Accord starting problem looking for trouble shooting ideas

#1 User is offline   CheesyRider Icon

• I have no idea what's going on.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:'15 Honda F6B, '17 Kawasaki Versys-X 300, '11 BMW R1200R

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

My sister bought a 2006 Honda Accord four cylinder automatic for my nephew several months ago. The car wouldn't start last week, so she had it jump started and drove it to Napa where they put in a new battery. Everything seemed fine, but then one day, the car wouldn't start. She had it towed to a shop and then the car started without any problem. They didn't do any diagnostic work and only started the car a few times to see if the problem came back. It did not.

When she picked up the car from the shop, she needed to put in the code to get the radio to work again. She confirmed with the shop that they never disconnected the battery. It is worth noting that the previous owner installed an aftermarket remote start but lost the remote fob.

So, my initial thought was maybe a loose ground wire. But then why did it start when jumped? Unless it was just a coincidence and it would have started anyways. I suspect the problem has something to do with a poorly installed remote start system.

I'm going to take a look at the car tomorrow. I don't have much experience diagnosing electrical problems, so I'm looking for some troubleshooting ideas. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   WillMill Icon

• Race Body Paint Guy
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:CBR600 YZ426F R3 KDX250 PE250

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

First step, clean and inspect all battery connections thoroughly. That is most likely the culprit. If your battery terminal isn't getting a good connection to the battery post, it wont start. When the jumper cables are hooked up, they are connected directly to the terminals, not the battery posts, this is giving it enough juice to crank. Make sure that your battery cables are in good condition and not frayed. Usually remote starts are just pigtailed into factory wires, but who knows how this one was done. If its a poor install, crawl under the steering column where all the connections should be made, and make sure that they are all solid, and not falling apart or corroding.

#3 User is offline   Vrooom Icon

• Its coming rite at me!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:sold !2012 Gsxr 750,sold!2011 Ninja 1000 Sport tour thang"sold" ,09 Ktm 690 SMC Vrooom Vrooom!!! 06 Red GSXR 750 Sold!!!, 11 YzF 450 SuperTard/Mx

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

above go simple first!

#4 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR race x2
    SV650 race
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    YZ250F

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

When it has trouble starting, does it make any noise? Click, turnover, hum, etc? Dash lights turn on? Absolutely nothing?

Could be bad battery wire. Makes a connection sometimes, circuit is broken other times.

#5 User is offline   CheesyRider Icon

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

View PostPOE, on 18 October 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

When it has trouble starting, does it make any noise? Click, turnover, hum, etc? Dash lights turn on? Absolutely nothing?

Could be bad battery wire. Makes a connection sometimes, circuit is broken other times.

Unfortunately, the only thing I was able to confirm is that that the engine didn't turn over. My nephew and sister didn't remember if there were any noises or lights. I suspect there was absolutely nothing since the radio needed to be reset.

Thanks for the advice so far! If anyone thinks of something else to check, please let me know.

#6 User is offline   POE Icon

SV650 race
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    YZ250F

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

A very huge step will be to confirm if ANYTHING happens whatsoever when the key is turned. It's rare that a battery with some juice in it would do nothing at all. If dash lights are on, then we can move on to other causes. Starters get stuck often and need to be replaced. Sometimes they free up and work for a while longer before they freeze again. I've had to hit my starter with a hammer before to loosen it up to spin again.

#7 User is offline   CheesyRider Icon

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:46 AM

I took a look at the car. The battery connections and the ground connections looked good. The "AstroStart" aftermarket remote start appears as though it might be an amateur installation. My sister found the remote start fob. It's funny she didn't know it had remote start. She never wondered "why is this fob different from the others?". Anyways, I put new batteries in the remote and the car started with it.

I read a lot of reports on the interwebz of people having intermittent starting issues with the key, but the remote start still works. I suspect that usually happens when the ignition switch is bad.

I told my nephew and sister to try the remote start if the key doesn't work. And, I gave them a list of other things to try. But, most importantly, I stressed that they need to pay very close attention to what the car does and doesn't do if the key won't work to start the car.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 User is offline   WillMill Icon

• Race Body Paint Guy
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

Astrostart... gross! Did you look to see how they tapped into those wires? Hopefully not t-taps. Make sure those connections are soldered and sealed.

#9 User is offline   WillMill Icon

• Race Body Paint Guy
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:38 AM

Also, did you remove the battery terminal, and clean it with one of those wire brushes designed for cleaning battery terminals? Ive had issues on my truck before where everything "looked" good. But occasionally it would give a symptom of a weak battery. All the guages worked, lights worked, but it clicked when trying to start. Then Id wiggle the terminal, and it would fire right up.

#10 User is offline   Torchsport Icon

• 300,000+ miles served
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Riding fuel injected, liquid-cooled, 2 wheeled motorbikes.
  • Ride:'16 BMW S1000RR. '15 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR. 2006 Harley V-Rod. 03 Yamaha YZF-R1. 2018 YZ250FX.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:05 PM

View PostWillMill, on 22 October 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

Astrostart... gross! Did you look to see how they tapped into those wires? Hopefully not t-taps. Make sure those connections are soldered and sealed.

Hmmm. I've had Astrosart on 2 different vehicles for a total of about 17 years without a single hiccup.

#11 User is offline   ZZR Joel Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2007 Kawasaki ZZR600

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

I am in line with Will, another thing to check, make sure your terminals are tight. I have had this happen to on my bike where it was just loose enough to not start the bike but all of the lights on the car came on.

#12 User is offline   POE Icon

SV650 race
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    YZ250F

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

Anyone use dielectric grease on battery terminals? Better than the cheap spray on stuff I have in my terminal cleaning kit?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users