MNSBR: Good bike mechanics - MNSBR

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good bike mechanics Post who you know and contact info.

#121 User is offline   Jim Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

View PostNOBS, on 27 July 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

So does anyone know local who can lace and true a V-star rear wheel.

Try Marty, see post #115 above for contact info.

#122 User is offline   CBR600F4i Icon

• Always Along For the Ride...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:CB1000R, SV650, CRF250R

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

So does anyone know local who can lace and true a V-star rear wheel. brand new complete Yamaha spoke set should be here Monday or Tuesday and I would like to get this done ASAP

Bike was rearended hard enough to break 3 of the spokes and as a result the entire hub is loose from the rim now with inches of slop and makes the bike wallow badly. Looking at all new spoke set install and trueing. I want it done correctly not some half assed hack.

Lloyd's has been great to me and many riders but he is always swamped, but if you can get an appointment I highly recommend. Besides he doesn't true wheels either- and it seems none of the dealerships I called do and TCH won't touch anything but Hardly and bicycle shops claim liability concerns and won't and I did not really want to have to ship off a 20lb slug of shit and add a week or more to this timeframe.

Cycle shop in Anoka

Or Brandon punt might be able to do it.

#123 User is offline   Ryno79 Icon

• Group: Newb
  • Ride:Many

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:32 AM

So does anyone know local who can lace and true a V-star rear wheel. brand new complete Yamaha spoke set should be here Monday or Tuesday and I would like to get this done ASAP

Bike was rearended hard enough to break 3 of the spokes and as a result the entire hub is loose from the rim now with inches of slop and makes the bike wallow badly. Looking at all new spoke set install and trueing. I want it done correctly not some half assed hack.

Lloyd's has been great to me and many riders but he is always swamped, but if you can get an appointment I highly recommend. Besides he doesn't true wheels either- and it seems none of the dealerships I called do and TCH won't touch anything but Hardly and bicycle shops claim liability concerns and won't and I did not really want to have to ship off a 20lb slug of shit and add a week or more to this timeframe.

I lace and true wheels but if you got hit hard enough to break spokes are you sure the rim is straight? A steel rim is extremely easy to true but if it's bent there is almost impossible to pull it back into shape.

#124 User is offline   NOBS Icon

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:41 AM

car bumper had to go through the steel fender first
so wheel isn't dented or any damage appearing sans the 3 broken spokes and now completely loose center hub to outer rim. I think the edge of the bikes fender actually got into the spokes

Marty's contact, when I finally was able to get a human on the line, she said I need to talk with him, and thus far no luck talking to him and he isn't in right now again either.

I have no idea if the wheel as it comes ~ oe original ~ is offset at all or if the hub is dead centered with the center of the outer rim........ Thus why I want someone with knowledge and experience and not just someone to throw it together and then when I go put it back on the bike find out it rubs the driveshaft housing or swingarm.... it is very close to the driveshaft normally (sub 5mm) and now with it loose it can touch or be more than 15mm away depending on how one pushes on the wheel

These things are far too much of a pain in the ass to even get out, let alone to sit there and try and test fit measure multiple times, you need a lift with a drop out and then you can't move the bike for however long you are without the wheel. or you have to jack it up so high. the wheel has to come out the bottom in any case and nobody wants it left like that hogging up space for indefinite amounts of time

fyi the spokes are only about 3" long max, yamaha should have just made it a solid wheel IMO

#125 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

View PostNOBS, on 01 August 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

Marty's contact, when I finally was able to get a human on the line, she said I need to talk with him, and thus far no luck talking to him and he isn't in right now again either.

Marty is great but not too into customer contact. Especially during the height of the summer busy time. He may not have time for you for a few months.
I'll give all my business to Go Moto but I wait until the dull days of winter to fill up their free time.

I don't even bother trying to get on the schedule during the summer but that's not a problem for me.

Luck!

#126 User is offline   Ryno79 Icon

• Ride:Many

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostNOBS, on 01 August 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

car bumper had to go through the steel fender first
so wheel isn't dented or any damage appearing sans the 3 broken spokes and now completely loose center hub to outer rim. I think the edge of the bikes fender actually got into the spokes

I have no idea if the wheel as it comes ~ oe original ~ is offset at all or if the hub is dead centered with the center of the outer rim........ Thus why I want someone with knowledge and experience and not just someone to throw it together and then when I go put it back on the bike find out it rubs the driveshaft housing or swingarm.... it is very close to the driveshaft normally (sub 5mm) and now with it loose it can touch or be more than 15mm away depending on how one pushes on the wheel

These things are far too much of a pain in the ass to even get out, let alone to sit there and try and test fit measure multiple times, you need a lift with a drop out and then you can't move the bike for however long you are without the wheel. or you have to jack it up so high. the wheel has to come out the bottom in any case and nobody wants it left like that hogging up space for indefinite amounts of time

fyi the spokes are only about 3" long max, yamaha should have just made it a solid wheel IMO

Probably been 10 years since I've done a V-Star wheel but as I remember the wheel is not offset and the short length of the spokes makes it very easy to lace and true.

#127 User is offline   NOBS Icon

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

Well after 2 weeks of either no answer or not there and 2 48 mile each way attempts to go in person and get answers... I give up on gomoto

So Ryno79

who are you and where are you at? you can send a pm if you like.

#128 User is offline   CBR600F4i Icon

• Always Along For the Ride...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:CB1000R, SV650, CRF250R

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostNOBS, on 14 August 2019 - 11:17 AM, said:

Well after 2 weeks of either no answer or not there and 2 48 mile each way attempts to go in person and get answers... I give up on gomoto

So Ryno79

who are you and where are you at? you can send a pm if you like.

Did you call the cycle shop in Anoka?

#129 User is offline   NOBS Icon

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

Ended up doing it myself, got it within .008" laterally and .006" radially.

Took a couple hours and for a first timer I suppose that is pretty good, shouldn't have even wasted my time trying to find someone

Ridden it more than a few times since and it is great to have a decent back wheel once again and to have been riding, looks like todays ride may be the last decent day for quite awhile

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users