• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR street
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

Got an 05 Honda 50 and the motor does not idle down immediately after letting off the gas. The motor keeps pulling for a second or two and takes even longer to fall back to a normal idle. Any ideas on what I need to do to this carb? Clean? Rebuild kit?

This 50 is for my nieces so it needs to be running perfectly before they get on it.

On that note, does anyone have 50 training wheels they could part with?? There's no shortage of little kids in my family so training wheels could definitely get some good use.

#2 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

That's an easy carb clean/rebuild. I'd take it apart and clean while checking out the gaskets. Buy the rebuilt kit if the rubber looks degraded, otherwise just put it back together. I think there is an idle adjust and an air/fuel mix adjust. Make sure the air/fuel is only about 1/4 out from full-in before adjusting the idle.

The problem you describe could be a sticky slider in the carb or the throttle cable sticking up and gradually letting off. If it's the cable, check that the lever pulled by the cable snaps back when you let go of the throttle. Eliminate that before you open the carb.

I have 2 training wheels that you can have but I'd recommend you don't use them.

I think a kid should learn to ride any bike, pedal or not, without training wheels. Get a glider bike and a shallow hill and have them play with the balance. Just stand in front of them and let it roll a bit until they understand how to stop and then let them coast further and further on their own as they get more comfortable.

Training with training wheels just makes a kid think that a bike doesn't lean or turn when leaning. Counter productive, IMHO.

My son wanted to ride bikes when he was 3 so he just went down the driveway on the glider and pushed it back up all afternoon until he felt ready to go down the road with a pedal bike. Worked great but then he _really_ wanted to ride.

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury

#3 User is offline   miweber929 Icon

• Runnin' with the devil
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'17 Supersport, '13 Kymco Super 8 150, '11 Sprint GT, '04 WR450F

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

Could be everything Kent mentioned or it could be an air leak in the intake boot as well. I'd do the old spray carb cleaner over the intake boot while it's running and see if the idle changes trick.

#4 User is offline   aj_day Icon

• I edited this
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:77 Puch Maxi

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

I bought a CRF80 for my kids last fall that had almost exactly the same problem. It seemed to bog down for a second or two before revving when you opened the throttle, then it would keep revving for a second or two after you closed the throttle and return to idle very slowly. The choke also seemed to have no effect when starting the bike, and the idle adjusting screw did not seem to change the idle speed much. I pulled the carb apart and it had a clogged pilot jet. A good carb cleaning completely solved the problem. Those jets are tiny on kids bikes, I think they get clogged easily.

#5 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR street
    '17 Grom
    '14 Grom
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:09 AM

Thanks guys. I'll dig into the carb soon and see if I can clean it good.

Funny story. My mom reluctantly told me that the high revs while off the gas caused her to crash. She put the bike in gear while it was revving high and it bucked her off :lol2: She was laughing at herself telling the story and I was laughing just picturing my mom getting owned by a fiddy!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users