Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Possible Project

#1 User is offline   hareye Icon

• Group: Newb
  • Ride:96 gsxr 750

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

All right, looking for the expertise of the Forum. Right now I have a 2006 GSXR 750 as my daily driver in the summertime. It's been a great bike, has about 18,000 miles on it, and I've had no problems with it ever since I purchased it in 2012. Now I'm always looking to upgrade, at a fair price, and this might be my opportunity. I found this bike on Craigslist the other day, and it peaked my interest, https://minneapolis....6514436992.html I have never done a motor swap in a motorcycle before but have done many motor swaps in vehicles. So, the person said he is willing to trade so I was thinking of trading mine for his. I found a motor on eBay for around $1,800. Do you think it's worth it and if not, what would be a good price to offer?

#2 User is offline   JohnnyCage Icon

• No Ragrets
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Interests:Roadracing & Guitar
  • Ride:At the back of the expert grid

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:03 AM

If you can trade your 2006 straight up for that 2015, then buy a $1800 eBay motor and swap it, I'd say that's doable. KBB for a 2015 is around 9,500, but you may only get 7,500-8,000 if you tried to sell it straight up. Also, you never know where that eBay motor has been or what kind of wear/usage it has. So that is a gamble. But, if you did this right, you'd have a newer bike for $1800. I think its really going to come down to how comfortable you are swapping a motor. If you do end up doing it, contact the seller and learn about the motor. Also, if you can, ask to have them use uship.com. I've used it to ship motors before and it worked out really great. I think I paid $120 to ship my old 05 R6 motor to Texas. Anyways, good luck!

#3 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:09 AM

I have no opinion on your trade, but am curious as to what really is wrong with the "repaired" engine. I've copied some of the info for when the CL ad disappears.

Up for sale is a 2015 GSXR-750 - NEEDS ENGINE REBUILD. Bike was bought brand new with 0 miles on it from Cities Edge in Shakopee, MN during the 2015 summer. Bike has 4,6XX miles on it and was in perfect working order. A "non-metallic object" somehow made it's way into cylinder 4 and caused some damage to cylinder 4. A repair was done to try and fix this (see picture of repair order) - this was completed but a slight engine knock remained. Cities Edge recommendation after the initial fix was for a full rebuild.

Attached you'll see the cost of parts needed for the engine as quoted by Cities Edge. Parts + Labor was too high to justify the cost. You can just buy a used new engine (can be bought for under 2k shipped) and drop it in. At this point, I can't spend anymore money on this bike and I've chosen to sell it as-is. This bike is ideal for someone who is handy and can drop the current engine and either buy a replacement engine or get a donor engine and pull parts. This bike will be sold as a whole.

Never been dropped, and is in immaculate condition. Clean title. Bike is owned outright and does not have a loan on it. Never been wheeled or stunted. Bike has always been stored away properly for winter in a heated garage. OEM Suzuki oil and filters have always been used. Tabs are current for the 2017 riding season. Open to offers and potential trades. Pictures have race rails that are no longer on the bike. I'd like to get $4,500 for this. Bike is easily worth $8,000 with a running motor and mods. No low-balls.

I would potentially be interested in other motorcycle trades. Worst that I can say is NO.

Attached Image: 00404_3X9UKCRieUm_600x450.jpg
Attached Image: 00h0h_5REFxft5GCg_600x450.jpg

The first repair cost $1263. It appears they replaced 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves (although other parts are listed, but not included in the final price).

The second repair estimate is for $6790. Curiously, it's a copy of the first repair order's parts (including the stuff that was not actually installed the first time) plus a "crankshaft set", and miscellaneous items like a couple master links, spark plugs, and coolant.

I've never worked on a 2015 Gixxer, but can you pull the head (to replace valves) without removing the engine from the chassis? If not, I'm wondering if the original repair was actually done (as the labor cost is low for all that effort).

Bottom line, if it were me, I'd want to disassemble that engine to see what's really wrong with it. In fact, a non-invasive leakdown test would tell you if there are bent valves.

P.S. I see you're in WI, but in MN if you swap an engine on a street-licensed bike, you are required to have the completed bike inspected by an agent for the state.

#4 User is offline   Jim Hubert Icon

• I'll believe it when I prove it myself.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Data Acquisition
  • Ride:Whatever you'll let me.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

About 10 years ago I posted an article (horror story, really) that I wrote for Roadracing World magazine in about 1999. I'd link to it, but that original post no longer exists. I'm attaching it as a .PDF, so you have to be a member of this board to read it.

Attached File  Article for RW \'How to Buy a Stolen Engine\'.pdf (60.46K)
Number of downloads: 39

#5 User is offline   hareye Icon

• Group: Newb
  • Ride:96 gsxr 750

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

Well, after reading your article, it now has me scared about buying a used engine. Does anybody on here have any recommendations on where to buy a used engine other than eBay?

#6 User is offline   POE Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Ride:600RR x3
    Grom x2
    SV650 race
    YZ250F

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:44 AM

These guys might be able to help you locate one: https://cheapthrillsmoto.com/

#7 User is offline   C3L1CA Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:'12 ZX10R, '09 Warrior, '01 yz250, '14 SSR 125

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

I swapped a motor into my old r1 from a guy on here years ago. If I were to do it again I'd want to get a copy of the title and a bill of sale or something. Can call the DMV and see what they'd want to see to get the motor number updated. If you sell the bike to somebody in WI it wont matter though.

Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me if you know hot to turn wrenches.

If the head was just updated and you do a leakdown test you could always sell parts off the motor that is in the bike to help recoup the cost of a new engine.

#8 User is offline   mike4king Icon

• Weeeeeee!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:2003 600rr track, 2012 V-Star1300 street

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

I know the owner of the 2015, he's pretty good shit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic