• You cannot reply to this topic

Clutch Up Wheelie Help

#1 User is offline   Audeh929 Icon

• They call me Sonic
  • Pip
  • Group: Newb
  • Ride:2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R Streetfighter

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Okay. So before I start this I would like to say that I don't do this on public streets with other traffic. I wear all my gear and I have a crash cage on my bike. Now, I can do power wheelies in first no problem. But I can not for the life of me figure out how to clutch up a wheelie. I'm trying the clutch ups in second as I've heard first can be dangerous. So with that said. What am I doing wrong? Pull in clutch, rev, pop clutch ride wheelie right? No go.

#2 User is offline   Sirrevsalot Icon

• I Should really edit this.
  • Pip
  • Ride:06 ZX10R

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

Check out the pinned thread "Wheelies 101" http://www.mnsportbi...showtopic=27656

#3 User is offline   HangerBaby Icon

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

It didn't really start happening for me until I started using 1 finger on the clutch and was just doing a little flick with the clutch finger. I rode around for awhile just flicking the clutch every now and then trying to see the exact point where it disengages.. then eventually I was able to flick the clutch lever and hit the gas in a synchronized manner which results in the front wheel coming up

#4 User is offline   Audeh929 Icon

• They call me Sonic
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

View PostSirrevsalot, on 25 September 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Check out the pinned thread "Wheelies 101" http://www.mnsportbi...showtopic=27656

Sirrevsalot I have read that. Several times to be exact.

#5 User is offline   Audeh929 Icon

• They call me Sonic
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostHangerBaby, on 25 September 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

It didn't really start happening for me until I started using 1 finger on the clutch and was just doing a little flick with the clutch finger. I rode around for awhile just flicking the clutch every now and then trying to see the exact point where it disengages.. then eventually I was able to flick the clutch lever and hit the gas in a synchronized manner which results in the front wheel coming up

Hmm okay. Maybe I just have to find a safe secluded place where I can actually spend the time to practice.

#6 User is offline   Yamanube Icon

• On the water.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:Bicycle

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

Did you watch the how-to video?

#7 User is offline   Audeh929 Icon

• They call me Sonic
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

View PostYamanube, on 25 September 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

Did you watch the how-to video?

That's definitely not a how to video and yes I have seen it several times.

#8 User is offline   JVS Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

Something that helps is when u rev and drop the clutch, give the bars a little tug and it should come right up

#9 User is offline   Audeh929 Icon

• They call me Sonic
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:25 PM

Now should I be popping the clutch and giving it throttle at the same time or pull in clutch throttle release clutch?

#10 User is offline   Kent Larson Icon

• shut up and ride
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Ride:WR250R, FJR1300, RC51, RS50

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Come over and borrow my WR250 for a day.
I'm not a proficient wheelie maven of any type but I can clutch up the WR without problem. The RC51 and FJR1300 come up ok with just power but someday I may start trying to clutch them too.

I think the clutch is key to getting where I can ride them at balance instead of just blipping up and letting it come back down. I've never been good at covering the back brake and that has been a problem in the past.

Anyway, a WR250 and a soft grassy field would be a great way to practice and become proficient.
Read and apply this at your own risk --> If it didn't come up, you weren't reving high enough or you let the clutch out too slow.

Later,
Kent

#11 User is offline   Audeh929 Icon

• They call me Sonic
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostKent Larson, on 25 September 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Come over and borrow my WR250 for a day.
I'm not a proficient wheelie maven of any type but I can clutch up the WR without problem. The RC51 and FJR1300 come up ok with just power but someday I may start trying to clutch them too.

I think the clutch is key to getting where I can ride them at balance instead of just blipping up and letting it come back down. I've never been good at covering the back brake and that has been a problem in the past.

Anyway, a WR250 and a soft grassy field would be a great way to practice and become proficient.
Read and apply this at your own risk --> If it didn't come up, you weren't reving high enough or you let the clutch out too slow.

Later,
Kent

Where would I even be able to ride the 250 around Minneapolis? Haha but yeah I mean I can do power wheelies but I really just do not want to rely on those because they can be sketchy after like 8 o clock and just fly backwards. Who knows. Maybe I just need to practice more. But I would like to practice the clutch work on something a little smaller lighter weight and a little closer to the ground haha.

#12 User is offline   JVS Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ride:03 R6, Ssr125

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostAudeh929, on 25 September 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

Now should I be popping the clutch and giving it throttle at the same time or pull in clutch throttle release clutch?

Here is the easiest way to think about it. Think of it like u r trying to take off fast from a stop light. You over rev the engine and release the clutch as u take off. Same concept to wheelie except u r moving.

Ride at 25 mph. Pull in clutch rev engine and stay on gas as u drop the clutch. If the bike jerks, you are doing it right but need to give it more gas.

It's a weird feeling but gets natural the more u do it.

#13 User is offline   Audeh929 Icon

• They call me Sonic
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostJVS, on 25 September 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Here is the easiest way to think about it. Think of it like u r trying to take off fast from a stop light. You over rev the engine and release the clutch as u take off. Same concept to wheelie except u r moving.

Ride at 25 mph. Pull in clutch rev engine and stay on gas as u drop the clutch. If the bike jerks, you are doing it right but need to give it more gas.

It's a weird feeling but gets natural the more u do it.

I think that's the best way anyone has ever explained it to me. Thanks a lot man! That makes total sense.

#14 User is offline   Vader Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Ride:GSX-R750

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

I'm no wheelie expert, and frankly my wheelies suck compare to those that can ride them at balance point for miles. I've been struggling with second gear clutch ups for years, and it wasn't until this year I kind of figure it out.
Here's my take on it:

In second gear, due to being a taller gear than first, it's going to take a bit more throttle, and finesse on the clutch slip to get it up, but it's not as crazy as doing them in first and to me, when I did them in first, no matter how sloppy I was on my inputs, it would come up every time, but it can get hairy fast due to poor inconsistent technique. Second gear is a little more forgiving(though can still spring up if you aren't careful), and more of a gradual rise. So my advice is while in second start off around 30mph(this can vary on bikes and gearing, you might have to go faster or slower depending), I would, at a starting point, get your self positioned to where you ass is set in the back of the seat, roll on 3/4 throttle and as you are doing so, quickly but smoothly with one or 2 fingers pull the clutch lever and release while continuing to apply throttle. The effect of it should at least cause the bike to lurch. Do that a few times to get the feeling of it wanting to come up. Next, as you pull(slip) the clutch lever, apply a little more throttle than before and hold the position. This result should cause the bike to come up. It's all basically: rolling throttle, slip clutch and apply more throttle, hold the throttle position and chase out the wheelie. But baby step it, don't just wring the fuck out of the throttle when you slip the clutch but increase input with every attempt. If it pops up surprisingly higher than you expected, just crack off the throttle and or stab the rear brake. People say to always cover the rear brake.

Also be lite on the bars, you shouldn't ever be tense on the bars, be it wheelies or riding in general, and it helps too. One other thing you have to let the revs down before trying again. Be relax too, don't tense up, and if you are getting frustrated, call it day and reflect on why it wasn't working that day.
This video is a pretty good tutorial on second gear clutch ups. besides listening to what he and other tutorials are saying, watch closely on how the hands are applying the inputs and keep studying it. To me it's all done relatively fast and simultaneous.

Just want to mention again that I'm no wheelie expert and it wasn't not too long ago that I finally was able to at least pop them up and chase them out for a little bit. Good luck.

#15 User is offline   POGO Icon

• Nutz to Buttz erreh day
  • PipPipPip
  • Ride:07 R6 Streetbike

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

For me on my 07 R6 I've been taking it very slow. It took me a full year to get the wheel to even noticeably rise; balance point wheelies? Ha! Fuhget about it! It seems like my issue was the revs I was starting at and how much throttle I was giving it. I was trying from 15mph and getting nowhere. Brought it up to 20-25mph and I can get liftoff 60% of the time maybe. This really speaks to the "you need more throttle" advice from earlier. It will do it, but I've just been to afraid of clocking it that I've been subconsciously limiting the amount I give it or even backing off.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users